Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   G1 Pepsi Prime Contest (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=63294)

PrimalEnvy 03-12-2016 11:11 PM

G1 Pepsi Prime Contest

Hello,
For some time, I've been interested in the original Canadian Pepsi version of Optimus Prime. The only real information I can find about it is that it was a prize in the 'Transformers Trackdown' contest. Does anybody have information on the contest? If possible, I'd like to know how long it ran and when, the specifics of winning, and how many winners there were. If any can help, I'd very much appreciate it.

JLvatron 03-13-2016 12:09 PM

Re: G1 Pepsi Prime Contest

Back in the 80's, soft drink bottle caps had rubber circles inside, which you could take out and suck on, as they'd absorb a tiny soda flavour.

Pepsi had a contest in 1985-ish, where the rubber circle had half of Optimus Prime printed on it.
Robot mode, vertical half.

1 side was printed in abundance, the contest was to find the other rare side, for 2 matching halves.

Eventual winners received an Optimus Prime toy, where his trailer had Pepsi logo & colours, instead of the regular deco.

bubbacon 03-13-2016 01:05 PM

I actually won this contest. The right side of Optimus was printed I abundance while the left was rare. I had many right halves and one day my mother brought home a bottle of Pepsi with that weeks groceries, we looked under the cap and there it was: a left half. I think I was 10 and my brother was 6 at the time, you shoulda seen two boys absolutely freak out.
One of our parents friends worked at the Pepsi bottling plant and picked up one of the Optimus Primes for us. Of course, this friend of my parents lived about 60 km away and they only visited each other three or four times a year. Finally, after months (or what seemed like months) we got it.
It had a Pepsi logo on each side of the trailer as well as the back door.
We were boys and we used Optimus in many "battles" and his condition suffered accordingly. I actually had it untill 2000 when I finally threw out the remains. Trust me, there was nothing left to salvage.

justprime 03-13-2016 01:47 PM

There were also cans with prime advertised on side the winning mark was on bottom of can inside I believe the truck /trailer were second versions with small gun unlike the American vesion with the small Pepsi symbols the you had to apply and no rear trailer door sticker ours were factory applied and had to be won making them the rarest of the four Pepsi primes the other two being the convention and Japanese Pepsi primes that are also different from one another. bubacon was you canadian Pepsi prime in a regular tf op box?

bubbacon 03-13-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justprime (Post 683399)
There were also cans with prime advertised on side the winning mark was on bottom of can inside I believe the truck /trailer were second versions with small gun unlike the American vesion with the small Pepsi symbols the you had to apply and no rear trailer door sticker ours were factory applied and had to be won making them the rarest of the four Pepsi primes the other two being the convention and Japanese Pepsi primes that are also different from one another. bubacon was you canadian Pepsi prime in a regular tf op box?

Yes, a regular.Optimus in box. It looked like Pepsi had simply opened the box and applied the stickers to.the figure. It came packaged.in Styrofoam back then so they could easily open and remove the figure, apply labels and then repackage it.

justprime 03-13-2016 04:43 PM

Cool thanks for that info the American version was almost the same except they attached a small booklet of the vary small stickers with instructions top right corner area of box

DesertDog 03-13-2016 10:39 PM

DesertDog need Pepsi Prime!!! I can be happy with one of the newer ones with the Pepsi bottle carrier trailer, but the original is one of my Holy Grails. Obviously. :D

RNSrobot 03-13-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimalEnvy (Post 683371)
Hello,
For some time, I've been interested in the original Canadian Pepsi version of Optimus Prime. The only real information I can find about it is that it was a prize in the 'Transformers Trackdown' contest. Does anybody have information on the contest? If possible, I'd like to know how long it ran and when, the specifics of winning, and how many winners there were. If any can help, I'd very much appreciate it.

We won it from the 7-11 in cranbrook BC if you can believe it. First tf.

Annnnnd since I wanted the proper Optimus prime, I peeled the pepsi stickers off.

miasboytoy 03-15-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNSrobot (Post 683440)
We won it from the 7-11 in cranbrook BC if you can believe it. First tf.

Annnnnd since I wanted the proper Optimus prime, I peeled the pepsi stickers off.

ouch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbacon (Post 683395)
We were boys and we used Optimus in many "battles" and his condition suffered accordingly. I actually had it untill 2000 when I finally threw out the remains. Trust me, there was nothing left to salvage.

i wouldve bought it!

miasboytoy 03-15-2016 03:15 PM

if anyone has a canadian pepsi prime trailer or cab and trailer for sale im all in! pm me lol