Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
(/'-')/ Peanut
Machine War
Review: KO Fansproject Shadow Scyther

I missed out on both the Shadow Scyther and Protector releases when they first came out and regretted it ever since...not enough to pay the crazy after market prices though.

When CHMS announced KO protector armors (and their redeco), I was curious. I have had pretty good experience with a previous KO Fansproject item, the Shattered Glass Commander armor, so I decided to take the plunge. *Note - this is a completely groundless point of comparison, since the KO Protectors and Commanders could have been (and most likely are) made by a different manufacturer.

1. What do you get?

Basically, everything that the original Shadow Scyther release came with: Trailer, scout vehicle, gun extension, Wildrider face, fins, and the Scythe. There are also 2 more pieces which look like hands, but I have no idea what they are for.

2. First impressions

We are off to a good start. The sad thing is, this trailer feels and looks of higher quality than some of the more recent licensed releases. The plastic feels very sturdy and the trailer has a good heft to it. The overall finish is very clean, with 2 or 3 minor paint imperfections. The trailer fits a KO CHMS Wildrider like a glove.

3. The Fit

I do not have an official Fansproject Protector or a genuine Hot Rod figure to make comparisons with, so I cannot say how assembly differs or is similar.

To start off, snapping on the body armor took a bit of fiddling, but sits reasonably flush. The arms were a bit of a pain, clipping in that piece around the wheel and the arm. I pulled the arm off the body, snapped the piece on, then plugged the arm back in. When fully assembled, the arms sit a little crooked, because I couldn't bring the top piece over the wheel completely. The legs were less of a hassle. Once transformed, the right leg snapped over Wildrider's right leg smoothly. It sits well and is perfectly flush. The left leg, however...I'll get into that further down.

4. Combat Platform

Very impressed. Everything is sturdy and holds together nicely. It is completely problem free...there really isn't much else to say here. The gun extension doesn't fit into Wildrider's original gun very well, but I think that is Wildrider's fault.

5. The left leg

The only problem I have encountered, but it is an annoying one. Right out of the box, the joint had stress marks and will inevitably break. Part of the joint is warped as well and, because of that, doesn't snap together at all.

When attached to Wildrider, the joint gives way and the leg will split. No amount of pressure will keep the leg together.

6. Final thoughts

Overall, not a bad KO. TBH, I expected so much less, but the KO fansproject items really changed my opinions of that - the materials feel sturdy, the paint job is well done, and the final product looks very nice. The only problem, as far as I can tell, is the fit and the left leg. As for the fit, I doubt the KO was manufactured with the same precision as Fansproject, so this isn't really a surprise. I have a feeling that the fit will vary between armors. The left leg is a downer, being damaged right from the box. I contacted my seller and will see if he can send me a replacement.

Last edited by (/'-')/ Peanut; 09-24-2012 at 04:24 PM.
(/'-')/ Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
big dawg
Energon
Re: KO Fansproject Shadow Scyther

nice review. I got the same kit last week from Chimungmung. Had issues attaching the arms but with a little pressure I got it to fully cover the wheels and it's super tight now. I had the same issue with the left leg as well, however mine wasn't stressed, just didn't snap together as sturdily as the other side. All in all I'm very happy with it. One question- can you get scythe to hold the rodimus gun? I can't as his fist holes appear far larger than a 5mm peg that is on the gun??? I also can't get the head to feel like it's snapping on. Does it just sit on top of the rodimus head or is there some kind of click?
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(/'-')/ Peanut
Machine War

He can't hold Hot Rod's original gun, but I don't think he was meant to. The gun/barrel extension has a flip out peg (inside the silver foregrip part) that protector can hold. As for the head, it just sits on Hot Rod's head like a helmet. No click.

Did you message Chimungmung about your left leg?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
STI 2NV
Energon

I bought that set as well and I have the same problem with the left leg.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
(/'-')/ Peanut
Machine War

How did you deal with the left leg? Did you get a replacement or fix it?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
big dawg
Energon

mine is solid enough that it works so I didn't bother. must be some mold issues then if we all had the same problem on the same leg.
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
STI 2NV
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
mine is solid enough that it works so I didn't bother. must be some mold issues then if we all had the same problem on the same leg.

Ditto
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
(/'-')/ Peanut
Machine War

Mine doesn't stay together at all with a possible fix being separating the joint and gluing the piece. I contacted chimungmung and he said i'd be able to get the leg replaced.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
(/'-')/ Peanut
Machine War

Received my replacement legs and they have the same problems. I decided to just DIY it and sanded down the transformation hinge on the leg. It closes a lot better now. With some further sanding, I may improve results, but I ran out of low grit sand paper and I didn't want to spend hours on it with high grit.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
brand66
Mini-Con

Yes! I agree,I bought that set as well and I have the same problem with the left leg
brand66 is offline   Reply With Quote