Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Perceptor
Alternator
DOTM voyager Optimus Prime

I already heard bad reviews of this guy. But it was on sale at Automaton Toys for $14.99... so when I got DOTM voyager Megatron for $17.99, I got Prime too since I have to pay $9.99 shipping anyway.

So I just opened and transformed him back and forth once. Here is my humble opinion:

- CHEAP plastic feel overall
- In robot mode, the wheels under the arm bothers me. Also the somewhat bent angle of the fist is really limiting. The only mobility of the forearm is the "bicep curl" motion.
- During transformation, the "toes" of the robot popped off easily. In fact, the whole feet assembly popped off.
- In vehicle mode, the parts don't fit snugly. Despite many attempts to "squeeze" the panels of the truck together, it doesn't quite fit well. The most annoying part is that the front of the truck (the hood and engine assembly) has a slight upward bend (even after many times forcing them down without breaking them). So that the front wheels and the back wheels are not all align on the ground. The truck doesn't roll properly and freely. Part of the undercarriage scratches along the floor as it "rolls". So basically the front wheels don't touch the floor when rolling.
- the Mechtech guns looks okay in robot mode. But in truck mode the storage options are all silly. The best position should have been in the back on top of back wheels, tilted upwards so to shoot down enemy planes etc. But the only options there are to either face backwards, or face forward and have the nozzle of the gun pointing into the opening behind the drivers compartment of the truck (shooting himself I guess).

So overall, do NOT pay full price for this guy even if you need every Prime version in your collection. The fact that I only paid $14.99 helps me feel better with this figure now in my collection. Some of you will tell me that was a waste of money I am sure.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: DOTM voyager Optimus Prime

Got all 3 versions of the mold and I like it! Not for everyone though. Takara version (with the trailer) is the best.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I too got him for $15 from Automaton with a bunch of other TFs. First time I transformed him into truck mode, using the instructions, I was super frustrated as his truck mode *would not* peg together properly at all.

I sat and investigated and tried dozens of things and found the issue: The instructions have a mistake in the bot->truck instructions.

Where it tells you to fold down his head, it also then tells you to flip the flap back up to where the top of his head is now folded down. DON'T. This is what blocks the panels from his legs from connecting properly in truck mode. Leave that panel DOWN.

Almost drove me mad until I figured that out.

Quick Review:

Pros:
- Awesome legs. Sounds funny, I know, but these are the best non-leader prime legs ever.
- BFG gun. Love that thing.
- Fairly pose-able in bot mode, and can use the oversized tanks and back panels like pseudo-jet-prime boosters.

Cons
- Arms are limited in movement and hampered by the wheels on them.
- Chest too small, he's a bit out of proportion.
- Eyes are too big
- Nose of truck doesn't connect very well.
- Oversized tanks look a bit silly in truck mode.

He's worth $15, but not really worth more IMHO. I'm happy with him at $15 but would be pissed at $30 and a little annoyed at even $20.

Final Grade: C+
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Fermix
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Where it tells you to fold down his head, it also then tells you to flip the flap back up to where the top of his head is now folded down. DON'T. This is what blocks the panels from his legs from connecting properly in truck mode. Leave that panel DOWN.
Good call. Just went through the transformation again and that helped a bunch. The truck mode still has it's flaws but at least it stays together now.
Fermix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Johnherpes
Mini-Con
DOTM voyager Optimus Prime

I ended up getting the HMK Highmark Pro. They where great was riding this weekend and my feet never got cold at any time very comfortable would recommend them to any one looking for boots.
Johnherpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Everywhere I've seen, DOTM Voyager Prime is set to be the biggest shelf warmer of all Primes figure...
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I just grabbed DOTM Voyager Prime yesterday. Myself, I like him.
I agree about the wheel arms and the slightly oversized tanks, that could have been done better.

Alt mode is great, I had no issues with getting everything tabbed into place, arms were a bit tough to bend and meet the pegs but once done the whole front end just clicked together.

I definitely like the leg transformation, untab wheel and everything flows into the cab.

Massive gun, impressive. Can blow many faces off with that.

Sure, not worth 30 but overall a nice figure. I don't plan on buying any leader class stuff so this will be a nice addition to my DOTM collection......which I had never planned to collect :P (now have 11 figures).
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
KingKal
Generation 1

I was thinking of getting this guy and repainting him into Ultra Magnus. Any thoughts ?

Last edited by KingKal; 06-26-2011 at 12:27 PM.
KingKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Commandoclone87
Seeker

just got Prime with Megatron at the TRU 25% off sale. Not digging way the arms are jointed, but otherwise I'm really liking the mold. It's just too bad that Voyager Megatron's alt mode is smaller than Prime's.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote