Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Canadian Slag Episode 40 - Two Fanboys, a Crank, and a Podcast

No it's not a crappy sitcom, it's a terrible podcast with your usual lame hosts (one more ill then the other) talking with a guy who pisses on our parade yet we still manage to have FUN! Join in as we learn about whats going on in Japan, Transformers-wise of course, as well as some stories of interest before we delve into some listener questions on scale, and who became who regarding Scourge and Cyclonus. Then we discuss a relatively characterless character, Dead End in our getting to know, and try to stop the hate by showing some love to the Powercore Combiners in damn! I wish I designed that!!

Episode 40 - Two Fanboys, a Crank, and a Podcast
Host: Chris w/ Daniel, and Ryan
- What's happening in Japan
- Listener Question (godspeed): What if anything can you tell me about scale collecting? Just how crazy IS my 1/24 OCD relatively, and can you suggest anything from past lines that would fit in with it?!?
- Listener Question (Twitter name: JaviFuentes): Who became who in the 86 movie, in terms of the Scourge/Sweeps and Cyclonus/Armada?
- Getting to know Dead End (for Metroplex79)
- Damn! I wish I designed that!! Powercore Combiners

DOWNLOAD NOW!
(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW!

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
Stapler
Nexus Maximus
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 40 - Two Fanboys, a Crank, and a Podcast

Whenever I have a hankering for a new CS, you guys seem to deliver a new podcast!

The discussions in this one sound very interesting and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the PCC line since I love the 2-pack figures.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Nice episode, guys! I really enjoyed the part about the PCC stuff. I was so underwhelmed with the combaticon set I picked up to try out that I actually returned it. Now I'm tempted to pick the 5-packs up again if they're on a big sale.

I love the PCC 2-packs. The mini-cons are great and have a lot of repaint potential. Caliburst goes great with Energon Slugslinger, and Backwind would make a great beastbox if he's repainted in purple.

As for mini-cons in the movie continuity, aren't they already established to exist? The TRU Inferno had his little mini-con partner if I remember correctly. Was this elaborated on in the media or just overlooked?

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

amazing! i havent listened yet, but i just watched the 86 movie again and was like "HUHHHH!? TWO cyclonus'?!" so im stoked to hear that discussion.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Supernova
Second star to the right

Another fine episode!

Just for the record, Dead End apparently forms the left arm of Menasor (yeah, I had to look it up in the wiki...).

I've never really worried too much about scale when it's come to collecting. As a kid, it never mattered at all as I was just happy to have the characters. These days, since I'm just collecting Classics-type characters, I've felt that sizing is just right. I don't care too much about how they stack up in vehicle mode, but I've liked how they've sized the robot forms, using the Voyager size class for the larger characters (Prime, Megs, etc) and just making everyone else deluxe. While I do wish that the mini-bots from last year were Scout sized instead of Legends, I just love the fact they exist at all and am just happy at that.

I'm going to throw my hat in the Cyclonus/Skywarp & Scourge/Thundercracker ring, despite what the movie does portray. You guys made a logical case for it anyways, so I won't go repeating that.

Now, the thing is, I don't recall either of them having any recollection of their former lives. Is that correct? I always thought it would have been good fiction to cover that ground, and thought it'd have been neat to have a confrontation between Starscream and his former "brothers" prior to Galvatron coming in and finishing the job (provided that was how the reformatting went down and they were self-aware of it).

I really want to be a fan of the PCC's. With everything that came out this summer, I just didn't have the spare funds to run out and get them yet. I really like the looks of the wave 2 two-packs (especially Icepick/Chainclaw), so I might pick up some then (and, hopefully a sale on those should come up soon too).

Now, while I enjoy the whole Commander/Mini-Con aspect, I'm still not sure on the whole Combiner part. I mean, I get what they're aiming to do with it, and it looks like it works pretty well. But, maybe I'm too old school for my own good on this, and can't get past the "not doing it myself" conversion of the drones. I may just have to pick up one of those sets on a whim someday and give it a whirl.

But, in the end, like any line I'm not 100% crazy for, I still hope it does really well anyways, because I love seeing the franchise as a whole do well, and it does usually lead to getting the stuff I'm really keen on! (This past week being particularly awesome )

Transformers and Other Stuff For Sale

My Feedback Thread
Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Nocturn
Previously Dead

I don't recall actually paying for that Nightscream, I thought you had just given it to me. Like Cheetor.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
Just for the record, Dead End apparently forms the left arm of Menasor (yeah, I had to look it up in the wiki...).
Yeah I was going completely based on memory. Atleast I got my Menasor arms correct. It's tough remember everything =/

I think the problem also stems from how all tech specs flipped the boxart images and well....

Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 09-25-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
Supernova
Second star to the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
It's tough remember everything =/
No kidding - I mean how can anyone keep that memorized, with the wiki calling him an arm, the packaging/instructions making him a leg, and AKOM putting him in the shot in three different places (and two colour schemes) at once!

Transformers and Other Stuff For Sale

My Feedback Thread
Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Wait the new hotel does have a bar, and it has POOL TABLES! Man, I'm gonna be all over that come TFcon!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

A good program as always. Very insightful. Very interesting hearing about the peg warmers in Japan.

On a Hasbro note, the Star Wars wing has mentioned that they do(or did and are moving away from) Collector oriented figures that they knew would not appeal to kids - Like the Fat Dancing Babe from Jabba's palace for example.

They have recently stated that since these figures are not meant to appeal to young buyers they are moving away from that approach, thus we won't be seeing Senators and the like in TCW toy line.

A little different from the Transformer scheme from Hasbro I'm sure but of interest because it is the same company and all.

I liked the Dead End chat. As for the PCC, none of them have really caught my interest at this point. I'm a little concerned that without solid fictional support they won't catch on as well as maybe they should.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the Dinobot set. If there's one I'll buy its probably that one. Again though my concern remains that if a kid can't watch a show or open a comic and read stories about these guys that the mass appeal will die in a hurry.

You guys would know better than I if a kid targeted line minus fiction has worked before.

I want more Gobots,
Love Rob

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast