Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
7theye
Mini-Con
Help with Masterpiece Series

I keep seeing these around - they look good, but are expensive. Are these supposed to be high end collectiables (ie - the best you can buy?)

Are the revoltech's comparable (without the ability to transform of course).

I just want some nice figures to display - are the masterpiece the best I can get?
7theye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Help with Masterpiece Series

For one, welcome to the fandom.

The Masterpiece line was invented to be the peak of Transformers modern engineering applied to Generation 1 characters and their respective vintage designs. To many they are considered the best of the brands history.

Revoltech is a big step in a seperate direction, they are more for dynamic poses on a smaller scale, a very popular Japanese concept that involves head/hand swaping and splayed legs. Also the designs are taken from Dreamwave's Pat Lee who is not exactly everyone's favorite take on the G1 characters.

What you have to ask yourself is what do you WANT from the brand and I can point you in the right direction.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Aernaroth
Metroplex

The masterpiece line is, as you've said, designed to be high end collectibles, as opposed to childrens toys. They usually run in the region of (in the case of ones released in North America) 60-80 bucks, and are usually around 25-30cm in height in robot mode. They have metal and plastic parts, extremely complex transformation schemes (Can anyone tell me a TF more time-consuming to transform than MP Megatron), and extra included accessories.

Most of the masterpiece line was never released in North America, making it even more expensive due to importation.

In terms of display, the masterpiece figures are certainly something to behold, as well as being highly articulated. However, it really depends on what you're looking to do with them. If you're looking to put them in a glass display case and you're willing to put a large, heavy figure somewhere, that's great, but if you're looking for something to put on top of your office computer at work, the revoltechs (which are similarly articulated, also include tons of accessories, but are entirely plastic, much smaller, and do not transform, though are significantly cheaper) might be more your speed.

Were you looking for something to build a collection around, just something to place around an office/den, or something to remind you of your childhood toys? There's a ton of options, depending on what you're looking to do.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

How much space you have to display is to be considered. The revoltechs are much smaller thus need less area. MP Skywarp takeks up the same space as 5 revoltechs. $$$ is another aspect. Most of these items area available right now in web stores/ebay/comic shops, so the price it static right now.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Another thing you could do is go to your local walmart and look at the MP Skywarp they carry as an exclusive. That's a pretty decent indicator of the Masterpiece line in terms of size, complexity, etc.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
tusko
Classic

Excellent advice from the above.

It really depends on your situation if masterpiece figures are for you. They are expensive, and there could be better uses for your money. However the Prime, Grimlock and Skywarp molds are or will be domestically available and revive G1 nostalgia. If you are a big G1 fan - they replace the bricks of the 80's on a larger scale.

Revoltechs are nice but they are figures, not transformers. Also they are fairly expensive and quite small. The details and engineering are pretty amazing in them and they have better play value.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

Also keep it mind, after Revoltech Hot Rodimus/Starscream, there does not seem to be any indication of future TF-related from the line. So after 5 figures (Convoy, Megs, Magnus, Roddy and Screamer), your fresh out.

While with the MP series you have an ongoing line that will bring us many more to come, let alone what you have now to get.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

mp is my personal favorite line, followed closely by classics, they are just awesome

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
7theye
Mini-Con

Thanks guys, that was just awesome!

I am looking mainly for some collectiables (only G1) to display in a case, etc. that look good. I guess Ill start with the MP Skywarp and see how it goes, as these seem to be the best collectibales I can get?
7theye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7theye View Post
Thanks guys, that was just awesome!

I am looking mainly for some collectiables (only G1) to display in a case, etc. that look good. I guess Ill start with the MP Skywarp and see how it goes, as these seem to be the best collectibales I can get?
You really need to tell us what you mean by "best". The MPs are some of the biggest, most detailed, most articulated figures with the most features, and the price reflects this. If that's what you're looking for, then yes, they're the best.