Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Why no Mega Blocks Transformers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoin View Post
They're actually creating new blocks just for Halo, and other 14 plus oriented licenses.
Well I just hope they hurry! The way their financials are looking they need to turn their operation around within the next few years or we won't see these products at all.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

LEGO and HASBRO/Takara should team up and make this!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22321981@N07/
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
Pascal
Banned

Wow!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Shōji Kawamori said he has used LEGO to create prototypes of transforming figures. He designed MP Starscream and some of the Diaclone transforming mech's, some of which are incorporated into G1.

One of his recent creation:

(http://www.brothers-brick.com/2006/02/05/exo-force-alternate-design-van-force-by-shoji-kawamori/)

He prototyped a fully transformable Macross VF-25 with LEGO:

Apparently he made 3 of this LEGO prototypes of Macross Frontier VF-25 and Bandai keep one.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 06-04-2009 at 12:15 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
To be successful, Lego Transformers need to transform. Like that Japanese G1 Prime Lego-former. Otherwise it's pointless.
I agree.
G1 Omega Supreme was morally controversial since he was basically not a real Transformer, but a Lego-former.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
dees
Beasty

i wonder how the takara lego-op did?

haven't heard much news about that or if there will be more in the future, but it is pretty hard to find nowadays.
dees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
Shōji Kawamori said he has used LEGO to create prototypes of transforming figures. He designed MP Starscream and some of the Diaclone transforming mech's, some of which are incorporated into G1.

One of his recent creation:

(http://www.brothers-brick.com/2006/02/05/exo-force-alternate-design-van-force-by-shoji-kawamori/)

He prototyped a fully transformable Macross VF-25 with LEGO:

Apparently he made 3 of this LEGO prototypes of Macross Frontier VF-25 and Bandai keep one.

I've made that mecha from a set of near official instructions. Its pretty to look at, but horribly unstable and loose. The instructions I had were even modified from the original to make it more stable, It was still a rag doll. Sure, if the pieces were glued together and joints were secured, it might be decent. But then, the intent was to use only the pieces from those 3 specific sets available at retail. Why he didn't use the 4th set available with the other 3, I don't know.

I've seen much better transforming Lego-type figures. That VF-25 does look quite stable.

I do know that the big problem with Lego is that they're trying to keep piece count to a minimum in sets, and that hurts detailed mechanical figures. Take a look at the Exo-Force series, which just tanked. The figures were a great concept, and looked OK at first, but from the back they're just plain bland and fugly. Anyways, they keep the piece count down so that more money goes to quality assurance.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
LEGO and HASBRO/Takara should team up and make this!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22321981@N07/
Those are top notch! I would buy that kind of thing.

And I agree Lego set quality has gone down the drain. Ah to be young again...

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Those are top notch! I would buy that kind of thing.

And I agree Lego set quality has gone down the drain. Ah to be young again...

That thing is awesome. But Lego and Megablocks would both screw it up.

Lego would make it with half the pieces required, making it look like crap and pose like a brick. But the colours would all match perfectly brick to brick, and they'd hold together fairly well. Plus with all the standard bricks in the set, you could use them for other things or make a different model.

Megablocks would make it with half the pieces as well, but those pieces would all be irregular sculpts making it more like a really simple model. It would look less blocky than Lego's version, but it still would pose like crap, and with the irregular pieces you couldn't build much else with it. Plus, with MB's quality track record, half the pieces would have shades slightly off and it wouldn't hold together tightly. Plus the paint would be done haphazardly.

Say what you will about Lego, I'd side with them. In all the years I've had sets, I've only had 2 bad pieces (that were extra anyways), and 1 smeared paint application. On the other hand... I'd consider most Megablocks purchases to have a 1 in 4 chance of having something wrong with them.

What Lego would need to do is release another set like 4508 - Designer - Titan XP, only for half the price. That set was truly awesome. The only downside to it at all was the crappy default hands, which was easy to fix. Release a basic robot framework set. After that, release some armour sets to tack onto the framework to give people some ideas. Then allow users to submit instructions for download online. Allow users to make and order custom armour sets from online. You'll start seeing some really sweet Gundam models come out of that. And it isn't much of a leap to make some of those models transform.

Hmmm.... I should suggest this to Lego. Last suggestion I made resulted in the Exo-Force series about 6 months later.

Last edited by Shepp; 06-04-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
I agree.
G1 Omega Supreme was morally controversial since he was basically not a real Transformer, but a Lego-former.

So was RiD Ultra Magnus. It never sat well that I had to remove his legs to transform him. Plus, his front cab section could separate and move around on its own, but only transform into a legless robot with stubs.