Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 08-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #81
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: DAK's Customizing Discussion Thread

dak,

How do you find automotive paint sticks to the plastic? Would you recommend this over Kyrlon Fusion paints?

I've had good luck with the Krylon, but it is just limited in the colour selection.

Also to others: Can you only get the higher concentrations of Isopropyl Alc. from drug stores, or do places like Walmart/Home Depot carry it as well? I've had very little luck with this method of removing paint, likely because the concentration was too low. I've been using paint thinner and a cloth basically to date... little too stinky for my liking.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #82
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak View Post
Dye the plastic. I don't dye my work, but there are tutorials out there to help you. but from what i've read it's not an easy process
Dying is actually not that difficult. I've done it a few times and have either been really lucky of it is actually fairly easy. I've never had distortion/melting of the parts or problems like that. I'll take some photos of my limited dye jobs and try to recall the recepie that I used.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #83
dak
Master Creator

here's one: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showth...hlight=ratchet

Another: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showth...hlight=ratchet
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #84
dak
Master Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
dak,

How do you find automotive paint sticks to the plastic? Would you recommend this over Kyrlon Fusion paints?

I've had good luck with the Krylon, but it is just limited in the colour selection.
For a Spray paint I use automotive. When I was at Botcon this year I went on the Hasbro tour and asked one of the painters what type of paints they use for their Test Shots, and repaints. She told me a laquor based paint, but it is toxic and not good for home use. The closest paint to that type of paint, she said, was Automotive paint. Which is what I thought all a long.

Automotive paint Dries hard and works pretty well on plastic. One thing I suggest to help make sure the paint sticks, no matter what type you are using, is to wash the surface of the plastic with a paint remover or something just to get rid of that shiny clear coat. The reason why is because it's like putting oil or water on glass, It stays, but does not stick cause it has nothing to hold on to. Now I'm not trying to say paint will not stick to a glossy surface, but there are chances that it might not. removing the gloss layer will open up purs in the plastic, letting the paint grab on. even a Light sanding will work.

but yes, I do say Automotive paint is good. Compared to Krylon, is hard to say. both work good. but i prefer Krylon's Primer with auto paint.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #85
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag

Greatly appreciated Dak
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #86
TTT
OutOfCommissionToys.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post

Also to others: Can you only get the higher concentrations of Isopropyl Alc. from drug stores, or do places like Walmart/Home Depot carry it as well? I've had very little luck with this method of removing paint, likely because the concentration was too low. I've been using paint thinner and a cloth basically to date... little too stinky for my liking.
Answer.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransTorture View Post
I was searchin' for some 90% Iso. Alch. at my local drug store(Shoppers Drug Mart), I wanted something stronger than 70%...had to ask for it behind the prescription counter, they only had 70% and 99%.....tried the 99% - WOW, works great !
Soaked some Alt. Ricochet parts (his head/waist/crotch can be tough) overnight, paint slid right off with no effort at all.
Plastic is completely undamaged, not even any discoloration.

I'm sold.....its 99% Iso. Alch. for me from now on !
Hope this helps.

TTT
Its only behind the perscrip. counter so you gotta ask for it, Wal-mart may have it but again....behind the counter.
Let your stuff soak overnight.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #87
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I've tried out Dak's spray paint techniques and must say that I'm very pleased. I haven't actually done any customs since my Runabout but I'll try again soon, I've just done a couple of practice runs with the spray paint and I love the results I'm getting so far. Very nice.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #88
dak
Master Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I've tried out Dak's spray paint techniques and must say that I'm very pleased. I haven't actually done any customs since my Runabout but I'll try again soon, I've just done a couple of practice runs with the spray paint and I love the results I'm getting so far. Very nice.
awesome, great to hear!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #89
Spacemonkey
Energon

The waist ball joint of my Longarm is very very loose. I would like to know what is the better way to make it more tight without lose the possibility to move the waist.

If I put a coat of clear nail polish around the ball OR the socket, could it work??

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 09-15-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #90
dak
Master Creator

yes, clear coat can work or a bit of glue and let it dry. There are prob some other methods out there, but those 2 should work the best. what ever the method, make sure it's completely dry before re attaching the ball joint, and you also want to make sure it's not too thick, and the paint, or glue is a hard enough substance so when the joint is back together, it doesn't crack, and chip right off. I'd say go for the clear nail polish around the ball part. but not too thick.