Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Ah, the mom-and-pop shop

though it'd be good to have a place in the forums about second hand and comic book shops in your area that have been good for transformers or other collectibles/toys. might be handy for others to know your secret spots. (heh heh heh)
Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: Ah, the mom-and-pop shop

Although I've never actually bought from them, I believe Chinook Hobbies will have the odd thing from time to time.

There is that store "amaze" where Ikea used to be in the north that has had stuff as well. Again, I've never bought from them though.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Chinook Hobby West is really good sometimes. I got my G1 Metroplex from them.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
lars573
Energon

Then there the opposite side where they high ball the buying price for the figure and then go by Toyfare's loose price for selling. Had THAT bite in the ass on a G1 Jetfire that was off-white moving to beige and had no gear or gun. $100 for that, WTF was he thinking.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #5
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

When I spun through Calgary a couple summers back I checked out a bunch of smaller type shops. I thought Chinook was the best of the lot although I don't remember seeing a lot of Transformers there. They did have a cool display of like a couple hundred Star Wars figures watching a Flames game on a tabletop hockey game.
The worst I saw was the Toy shop in the West Edmonton Mall. I still remember the Republic Commando Scorch figure in their window for like $47. I know they are likely selling to Japanese tourists and its a bit rare but really..............Anyway I ended up picking up the Scorch on sale at TRU for $4.99 later in the year.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Crobot91
Metroplex

There use to be alot of great comic/hobby shops that use to sell tf toys really cheap from approx. 1997-2003.

Ever since the news of the movie came out, there's been less vintage & re-issue stuff available and the one's who do have some (incomplete junkers mostly); charge stupid outrageous prices (i.e. Planet Hobby, Grey Region, Silver Snail, etc.) hoping to take advantage of naive newbies...

Thank God for the sale/trade boards here and on tfw2005.com...
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
tilallr1
Robot in Disguise

Planet Hobby in Square One has vintage and reissue stuff at horrible prices as Crobot has said. But they have the most vintage figures I have seen in any store. Probably due to their high prices. I guess if your really desperate, and I mean REALLY desperate, then its not bad. But be prepared to paid double if not triple what things are worth.

Silver Snail sells mostly the new stuff released. All overpriced of course. They used to sell Vintage, but I don't think they do anymore.

Kool Stuff Toys & Collectibles
847 King Street East
Hamilton, Ontario, L8M 1B3
Phone (905) 547 - 7280

Kool Stuff Toys also has limited selection of Vintage Transformers. I recommend you email them to find out what he has, as it changes week to week.

I have looked and looked in the GTA from Comic Shops to Toy stops and there is nothing that I have found beyond that too.

Last edited by tilallr1; 11-06-2007 at 10:46 AM.
tilallr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Yeah, I've lucked out and made some decent scores @ Chinook Hobbies over the years. Red5 has been good for getting 6" Titaniums before Canadian release. KomicKaze is always interesting but overprice, if you ask for xxxx the answer is always "had one in, it went fast, they're super popular...."
Chinatown has a couple vendors that occasionally get some nifty Japanese packages. Phoenix Comics (haven't been there in a while now..) usually had new wave's of product before retail for a $5 premium. And of course there's buddy down at Ogden Farmers market that I've previously commented on his delusions of grandure... sorry I mean outrageous pricing. ie. Target Exclusive Movie Jazz G1 Repaint for $85.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Crobot91
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Kool Stuff Toys & Collectibles
847 King Street East
Hamilton, Ontario, L8M 1B3
Phone (905) 547 - 7280

Kool Stuff Toys also has limited selection of Vintage Transformers. I recommend you email them to find out what he has, as it changes week to week.

I have looked and looked in the GTA from Comic Shops to Toy stops and there is nothing that I have found beyond that too.
Yeah, Jeff's (I think that's his name) is a really nice guy who is not in the business of gouging fellow collectors. He's a real genuine collector who enjoys the hobby and treats customers/sellers/traders with respect.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

lol yeah I saw G1 Grimlock with his box (no insert) at downtown Grey Region for $300!
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote