Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
-KG-
Kranix
Re: Lost my job

I've personally been out of work for a while and haven't really had a sniff of anyone being interested. Earlier this week I sent in a resume for a job through a recruiting agency. The agency interviewed me today and they are going to help me out. I recommend just like chisau said to try a head hunting company.
-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Sorry to hear about the job; I'm pretty much on the same boat since December when I was laid off (thank goodness for pogee).

I guess I can only wish you luck in your job search; keep looking, I'm sure something will land your way.
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.mitten View Post
Just to add my two cents:

If a job says 3-5 years experience wanted, it doesn't mean they won't look at your resume if you don't have 3-5 years. Building a good resume is 75% of it, with 25% being the interview.
This is a good advice. When I was looking for work, I would always apply to anywhere I could, even places that said a specific degree was required, if I felt I could do the job or learn quickly on the job.

A lot of jobs are applied through online these days, so worst case scenario, they don't respond back to your application. Takes like five minutes to do and it couldn't hurt.

Sometimes all it takes is some sort of relatable experience. For example, two years ago I was working at an eletronics store doing shipping and warranty co-ordination, with four years since i got my politics degree. I hooked up with a head hunting firm (there are many around) and I got an interview with a credit union. I had no banking experience or business experience, but on my resume I touted the fact that I am a good problem solver, I think outside the box, and I have experience with dealing with people's warranty property, which is basically like dealing with people's money. I also was in contact with various warranty depots, and that's sort of like coordinating between departments. I got the job, and now I'm an investment advisor there.

Just make sure to tweak your resume where ever you can. I never outright lied on a resume, but I would embelish. for example, I did a schedule once. Just once. But I said I did administration for employee schedules. Or one time I gave advice to a new employee, but on my resume it said I assisted in administering employee training. But if you embelish, make sure to have a good reference to help you out. Resume gets your foot in the door, and the interview closes the deal. Lots of people stumble in the interview portion. A good way to practice is role playing.

Good luck!

Last edited by pud333; 01-17-2008 at 05:42 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
beatrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisau View Post
here is a little bit of friendly advice.

Here in Toronto, there are head hunting companies that helps you network. i recommend get your name into one of their database just to start. you may get less pay starting up, but it's better them nothing at all.
Seconded on the Headhunters.

Long story short. I was working for a multinational firm who has branches all over the world. I was a programmer for this company and I lasted about 5 month before one guy in toronto lost a 60 million dollar client. The company sent out a memo that each firm had to fire 3 employees to make up the windfall of that mistake. I was fired because they needed to cut costs and I was almost done my probation and they would have to given me a settlement if they fired me the next week.

Was unemployed for 3 months and applied for 30 jobs with no luck. I was about to declare bankrupcy when I went to a headhunter and they found me a job in 1 week. Got my interview, aced it and now not only do I have a kick ass government job, I am making $10 more than I did at the last place that layed me off.

Go to a few, some will charge you a fee and some will do it for nothing. Those ones are paid by government and big business to find employees and the reps make commision from the client based off your contract. Those ones you want to seek out.
beatrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Sorry to hear that, I hope things turn around for you soon.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Sorry to hear about the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatrush View Post
Seconded on the Headhunters.

Go to a few, some will charge you a fee and some will do it for nothing. Those ones are paid by government and big business to find employees and the reps make commision from the client based off your contract. Those ones you want to seek out.
Great advice one the headhunters. These people find other people jobs for a living! It is in their best interest in finding you the best possible job for the best possible wage, as their pay cheque is directly related to that. Hook up with one and see where it goes.

Relocation to another city is not a bad idea is the local job market just does not cut it.

Also, tweak the resume where you can. As was said, you don't have to outright lie about things... but stretching the truth here and there is ok. And make it look good too. When I get a resume that looks like crap, I generally don't give it a second look. I think it has to catch the eye somewhat... look clean and professional.

Most important thing to remember is that everything happens for a reason, and you will find something better. Might take you a couple of trys to find it, but it is out there.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Headhunters? Ugh I don't even know, I was working with a woman the past two years who said she'd help me... All she did was tell me what to do, job search, resume changes, cover letter assistance that sort of thing and it got me no where. I'm not sure about asking anybody else for help if 95% of the work is mine to do again... Not that I mind having to do the work, but all this stuff has just served to make me totally depressed and completely soured.

I need funds to live, I need funds to handle student loans in a little under six months, I need funds to keep collecting and also build up my cash flow... Hell I've been dead broke the past two years except for a few GST and Income Tax returns. And that money is eaten up faster then chocolates at Christmas Time.

My interview skills suck royally I'm timid and not exactly good with selling myself verbally, I only got this job because I used the Thank You letter approach after the interview... I've been on Unemployment before and don't want to deal with that hassel again, I just hate all this God damn work, I had a job for six years, six years and would have been happy to keep working another six if the business hadn't closed down.
Personally I'm burned out, but I am going to try again I'm just not sure what the hell to try... If I'd been part of a Union I doubt I would have had any problems because a soft telephone voice is one of the flimsiest excuses out there. My parents feel the business just isn't there and they really couldn't afford to hire me, but they strung me along anyways because they thought certain things that turned out to be untested. I mean had I been there long I'm sure I would've been ten times more confident and louder on the phone, it does take time to get used to that aspect of the job when you've never had any experience with it before. And nobody tells me I'm talking to low for them to hear on the bloody phone when I do make calls.

I hate this damn crap, here I am feeling like I'm good to go and the next thing I know I'm going home an hour early unemployed again and back at square one. I can't even put this damn job on the resume so I effectively wasted an entire two weeks and have nothing to show for it despite my work.

I'm taking the rest of this week off so I can start fresh and with a cool head... honestly if I had my way I'd be working as the creator of a new series from Disney. Or even just sell my idea to them and manage to entertain people. UGH... Anyway enough wallowing in self pity and self doubt, still that damn hurt, it felt like I was being told I was completely inadequate man... Seriously makes me wish I could find someone of the opposite sex to cuddle with when I'm feeling down. But like everything else that takes time.
If I could get a job at a comic store even for three days a week that'd rock, at least I know something about the industry and would be able to talk to people with similar interests, but those places probably rarely hire considering everyone enjoys working there too much. LOL Ah well, time to enjoy some more soul lightening experiences because I really need it.

As for relocating to another city... According to the Government of Manitoba that's the damn problem and why the job market is so skewed, but seriously I don't want to move out of this city, #1 I can't afford it, #2 I barely have any friends here and wouldn't relish having to start from scratch again making friendships and #3 I like Winnipeg, I know where everything is I know the bus routes and my family's here what's left of it... I just don't think I'd be able to make it any better anywhere else. It'd be different if I wasn't so introverted, you know not everybody likes being outgoing and cheery and junk. My optimism is being sorely tested right now I used to think everything'd work out for me in the end, right now not so much.

Last edited by Scrapper6; 01-17-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Headhunters? Ugh I don't even know, I was working with a woman the past two years who said she'd help me... All she did was tell me what to do, job search, resume changes, cover letter assistance that sort of thing and it got me no where.
Dude, this is the kind of stuff you need to do to get a job. Get a new headhunter and make your full time job looking for a new job.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Dude, this is the kind of stuff you need to do to get a job. Get a new headhunter and make your full time job looking for a new job.
Everyone tells me this. I know what is needed to get a job, I don't have to like it or look forward to it and I've already made my full time job finding a job, the pay's lousy. LOL
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
Heatbag
Generation 1

You should also include the City of Winnipeg in your search. I believe they are going to be hiring for the new 311 call centre. That should be good to get your foot in the door. Unionized, 8 hr days, decent pay. Wat more could you want?
Heatbag is offline   Reply With Quote