Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #81
Richter
Nexus Maximus
Re: Movie line just ain't doing it for me

Since I collect transformers mostly because of the engineering aspect, I like a lot of the movie figures

The second reason I collect transformers is because of the fiction and personalities of the robots. I really think that if they changed up the faces to something a little easier to accept they'd sell better with children and collectors. They are just far too alien for most people to relate to, because really they are great toys.

My biggest surprise of the line so far: recon ironhide. Great transformation, and the deco is superior in some respects tob the original. I am going to add some paInt apps which should make him perfect

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #82
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter View Post
The second reason I collect transformers is because of the fiction and personalities of the robots. I really think that if they changed up the faces to something a little easier to accept they'd sell better with children and collectors. They are just far too alien for most people to relate to, because really they are great toys.

Transformers are Hasbro's top seller. Your opinion may be that the heads are ugly, the general public apparently has learned to accept them and have voted with their wallets.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #83
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Correction, it's their number 2 seller, Star wars is number 1 for obvious reasons....but the man is onto something. I think it seems alien to us as some don't fully embody what we think they should look like (a la G1) but remember to the kids that this may be their first Ratchet or Ironhide....that's how they should look. Show them G1 and they'll say "isn't Ratchet green and Ironhide black?"....other peoples shoes.....other peoples shoes.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 AM   #84
Richter
Nexus Maximus

If it comes down to what people are used to, then yes, the new generation accepts the alien faced transformers. I do think though, figures that reflect more personality would be more memorable and would increase sales and acceptance of characters across all markets.

Thinking right now, there are few movie robots where I can remember what thier faces look like. Bludgeon, Optimus and Ironhide are really the only ones I can place. The simpiler and more elegant the designs, the more memorable they are. First ruel of elementary marketing.

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #85
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Rock Lords!! Rock Looooorrrrds!!
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #86
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Exactly!

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #87
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

My understanding of the faces was that the G1 look didn't translate well to CG. I imagine it would be harder to emote than the incredibly complex eyes and moving parts of the Bayverse designs. I was thinking, what "material" would a CG G1-face be? It's so easy in a cartoon, just paint it grey. But on an IMAX screen, every detail is under scrutiny.

Although Avatar's CG characters emote well, Final Fantasy Spirits Within only pull off emotions some of the time. I think G1-styled CG faces would look more like FF. Bayverse bots on the other hand are great in CG.

On toys though, I'd say most of the time it turns out only so-so. But for movie fans, being true to the movie design makes more sense than having a toy-only face design and a movie-only face design. So I'd say the current approach makes sense.

Agreed Richter, the engineering on movie toys is considerably higher than other lines, and seems to be 'spilling over' into new designs. In fact I read that article on Animated designs the other week and the designer said he couldn't have pulled off the figures he did in that line if he hadn't done Movieverse first. :-)
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #88
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

You know, I think there might be other options for robot faces other than "grey goo with helmets" and "eye-searingly busy assembly of random parts."

It's quite possible to be dissatisfied with the movie designs for reasons other than an insistence that everything adhere strictly to geewun.