Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #61
joshimus
Metroplex
Re: 3rd Party Masterpieces - Just expensive fakes?

On a side note, I wouldn't call Appollyon a "Masterpiece" in terms of Takara MP's in name but a masterpiece in terms of appearance. If that doesn't sound confusing. Essentially it's just Megatron to me, a really nice rendition, but I don't consider the title "MP" like I do my actual MP Megatron.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #62
Nullray
IGC

Strange that people want to call third party things as non MP but the word MP is just an association with what level of sophistication and detail a product attributes to their release. I think it is a simple as this. If the collectible line is so popular that a group of individuals are willing to create a complex hand puzzling robot as we all know it. I say hats off to them because their is a lot of bandwagon jumpers. So I say let the internet reviews weed out the QC weak. I collect what I find appealing and nothing short of that. How many Pre Rub G1s do you own. I have a few and after the KOs released their wave I have thermal rub signs to prove mine are real.

They are not KOs but unique items that fill the collection gap based on fandom ambitions. They fill a void and are not limited to regulations that are imposed for safety regulations for children. 3P are directly marketed at adult collectors and nobody else. If you don't like what you see then just don't go there or pick some choice pieces to add to your diverse collection.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #63
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullray View Post
Strange that people want to call third party things as non MP but the word MP is just an association with what level of sophistication and detail a product attributes to their release. I think it is a simple as this.
I view "MP" as part of the line, like "classics" or "generations" etc. Just because a 3P makes a "classics" style Ironhide, that doesn't make it "classics" in terms of the line. Inspired is more accurate. Appollyon is an inspired MP Megatron and while be a masterpiece in it's own right, not a "masterpiece" by association with Takara MP's. 3P isn't part of the MP line regardless of MP appearance and innovation. Hence non-MP Appollyon.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #64
timcrook
Cybertron

I can't wait to get my unofficial MP-scale not-megatron.
timcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #65
elburrito
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
I can't wait to get my unofficial MP-scale not-megatron.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6GbQMqFivo8

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #66
Gatchatron
Transmutated

Good thread - very interesting topic; enjoying reading the different takes on this.

I'll chime in with my very wishy-washy opinion/experiences with 3P:

I tend to agree they're not "fakes" or "knockoffs" for similar reasons as outlined by others...

...but they are definitely infringing on HasTak IP - as they are very clearly representing/cashing in on their established characters.

That said:

I refused, for a long time, to get any 3P stuff at all. It was easy, for awhile, as I wasn't really interested in any of it.

Then Quakewave came along.

The reviews were off the charts - everyone was saying this was a damn near perfect 'Masterpiece Shockwave'. "No," I said to myself, "I'm not adding any non-official stuff to the collection, no matter how cool it may be!"

...and so I passed on Quakewave.

Eventually, though, my long time desire to have a really good rendition of Devastator led me to look at TFC Hercules. I really liked the look of it, and had convinced myself that Hasbro would neeeeevvvvver do one that had the size and overall look that I thought would do ol' Devy justice.

I continued to balk, further convincing myself the cost was just too ridiculous for such a thing, no matter how great I thought it was: Until I came into some unexpected money. With that, I caved, said "what the hell", and picked up my first 3P offering (or first six, depending on how you look at it).

Thought is was a well done, er, "homage" if not a little "plain" - but I was able to improve said plainness with some custom decals (but that's a story for another time)

Anyway - I was ok with the pick up - but was sure Herc would be my one "non official" product.

Then Soar became available.

Damn.

I guess what I'm saying is: I kinda feel like 3P is a "slightly darker shade of gray" area... but dammit, when they are done so well: it's hard not to put that slight ethics concern aside and just go for it.

Yes, I wish I had caved on Quakewave.

Yes, after Soar, I went back and got Scoria, But that's ALL the 3P offerings I have!

...for now. :|

(PS: First post!)
Gatchatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #67
B13
I.Prefer.Decepticons

Good insight on your collector's habits. Thanks Gatchatron!

I never was a big fan of 3rd party figures. I own a UT Sharkticon and soon Apollyon. Oh, and an IT Tetrajet. I like to look at new offerings, but generally don't want to finance this kind of business. I purchase them as less as possible. It is undeniable though that they sometimes show great ideas and design! Only my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatchatron View Post
Good thread - very interesting topic; enjoying reading the different takes on this.

I'll chime in with my very wishy-washy opinion/experiences with 3P:

I tend to agree they're not "fakes" or "knockoffs" for similar reasons as outlined by others...

...but they are definitely infringing on HasTak IP - as they are very clearly representing/cashing in on their established characters.

That said:

I refused, for a long time, to get any 3P stuff at all. It was easy, for awhile, as I wasn't really interested in any of it.

Then Quakewave came along.

The reviews were off the charts - everyone was saying this was a damn near perfect 'Masterpiece Shockwave'. "No," I said to myself, "I'm not adding any non-official stuff to the collection, no matter how cool it may be!"

...and so I passed on Quakewave.

Eventually, though, my long time desire to have a really good rendition of Devastator led me to look at TFC Hercules. I really liked the look of it, and had convinced myself that Hasbro would neeeeevvvvver do one that had the size and overall look that I thought would do ol' Devy justice.

I continued to balk, further convincing myself the cost was just too ridiculous for such a thing, no matter how great I thought it was: Until I came into some unexpected money. With that, I caved, said "what the hell", and picked up my first 3P offering (or first six, depending on how you look at it).

Thought is was a well done, er, "homage" if not a little "plain" - but I was able to improve said plainness with some custom decals (but that's a story for another time)

Anyway - I was ok with the pick up - but was sure Herc would be my one "non official" product.

Then Soar became available.

Damn.

I guess what I'm saying is: I kinda feel like 3P is a "slightly darker shade of gray" area... but dammit, when they are done so well: it's hard not to put that slight ethics concern aside and just go for it.

Yes, I wish I had caved on Quakewave.

Yes, after Soar, I went back and got Scoria, But that's ALL the 3P offerings I have!

...for now. :|

(PS: First post!)

Last edited by B13; 04-18-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Orthography
B13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #68
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

This has naturally evolved into a discussion on what is a "Masterpiece".

To me, Masterpiece is the trademarked toy line by Hastak and serves as the reference robot mode scale (post MP-9/10). There is a certain level of quality associated with it.

But in the 3P world, masterpiece refers to scale only. Quality varies quite a bit.

That's my take on it, anyways.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #69
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
This has naturally evolved into a discussion on what is a "Masterpiece".

To me, Masterpiece is the trademarked toy line by Hastak and serves as the reference robot mode scale (post MP-9/10). There is a certain level of quality associated with it.

But in the 3P world, masterpiece refers to scale only. Quality varies quite a bit.

That's my take on it, anyways.
I can agree with that too. More of a reference to scale than the trademark name. This way you know the 3P MP figure will be in scale with HasTak Mp's.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #70
Grimtron
Generation 2

Third parties are not knock offs, since they are not copying a toy. 3rd parties use there own ideas to create these figures. That said, they are stealing hasbro/Takada intellectual property though, but it seems has/tak doesn't care since 3rd parties to not sell a lot and they are not taking customers away. People would probably buy a revision of my Megatron even if they had xtrans not Megatron.

All that said 3rd parties do make original transformers. like I really like make toys tanker series cause it reminds me of RID scourge or G2 Optimus, which is my favorite mold of a transformers. Like I don't see has/tak reusing these molds ever except when they charge a fortune for an mp version lol.
Grimtron is offline   Reply With Quote