Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Omega Supreme
Wrecker
Issues with Canada Customs?

Hey folks,

I'm a little frustrated right now.
Received my TFCC order with Over-Run today.

I noticed the box had been opened by customs.
Whatever, should be fine, right.

When I opened the box, I noticed they hadn't bothered to re-wrap an Over-Run in the bubble.

So, the first thing I notice is a bit of a ding on the one corner of the box. Not too happy about that, but ok, whatever.

On top of that, despite the fact that I was easily able to open the thin sheet of bubble-wrap on the other 3 figures with one figure on the corner, customs felt the need to slice open the bubble-wrap on the one they opened and leave a score mark from top to bottom right along the front center of the box.

It's not deep, but it's definitely visible, and I paid extra to make sure the damn things would be secure.

I feel like if you see a box wrapped in bubble wrap, you might assume that it's important to someone and show a little more care in opening it. A knife on a thin, easy-to-see throw single layer of bubble-wrap, you can open with your hands is over-kill.

I don't know if I have any recourse here, and I'm just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this sort of thing.
Omega Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
herooftheday316
Energon
Re: Issues with Canada Customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
I don't know if I have any recourse here, and I'm just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this sort of thing.
I would say probably not. I am sure the is a statement somewhere saying they are not resposible.

Did they charge you also?

-Mike
Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Omega Supreme
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by herooftheday316 View Post
I would say probably not. I am sure the is a statement somewhere saying they are not resposible.

Did they charge you also?

-Mike
Oh yeah, I was charged the handling fee + HST.

Being the government I really didn't think I'd have any recourse, which is doubly frustrating. Partly, I just felt the need to vent.

I just honestly can't figure why someone would drag a knife through bubble-wrap straight down across the box.
It's like they just don't give a shit about your property.
First, cutting open the bubble-wrap right against the box, then not bothering to even re-wrap it. Because it's not like packing material is there for a reason.

Last edited by Omega Supreme; 02-27-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
herooftheday316
Energon

Quote:
Oh yeah, I was charged the handling fee + HST.

Being the government I really didn't think I'd have any recourse, which is doubly frustrating. Partly, I just felt the need to vent.

I just honestly can't figure why someone would drag a knife through bubble-wrap straight down across the box.
First, cutting open the bubble-wrap right against the box, then not bothering to even re-wrap it. Because it's not like packing material is there for a reason.

What pissed me off is the 15 fee. If you are going to charge me that money there better be some damn care taken to the package. At the speed they must be doing it at to maul your package I doubt they need to charge 15$.

That is another thing, why the hell should I pay for it if the package is correctly identified? I feel you should only pay if you lie on the package. Chage me the tax, i couldn't give a shit but don't double the price of my shipping even though I was honest.

-Mike
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
joshimus
Metroplex

I'd fight it. At least try to get the customs fee's back since they didn't treat the package with respect...as ALL Customs Postal service SHOULD. I wouldn't let it go based on principle alone. If they are gonna charge you fee's for bringing it in they can at least not damage it. It's not like it was a bomb.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Omega Supreme
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
I'd fight it. At least try to get the customs fee's back since they didn't treat the package with respect...as ALL Customs Postal service SHOULD. I wouldn't let it go based on principle alone. If they are gonna charge you fee's for bringing it in they can at least not damage it. It's not like it was a bomb.
You're right. I should try to contact them in some way. On principle alone, they should be treating your package as well as the shipper did and replacing any packing material the same way.

I would take care opening anyone else's package, and I think I should be able to expect the same of customs officers. After all, they are charging me a handling fee.

I doesn't even matter if they think the box is unimportant. I do. The Over-run box was well protected inside bubble wrap inside another box. They should attempt to avoid damaging it and it would have been easy enough for them to cut along the edge or something if they felt they needed to use a knife.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
I'd say that about covers it.. Unfortunately..

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Sorry to here that, unfortunately this is pretty normal for customs. Didn't know the fee was up to $15, that's a bit much.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
vohkuhl
Cybertron

I recall airport customs cutting through my lock to look through the contents of my luggage when I checked-in. Quite pissed to find out they stole my Gucci shades and cologne. So in relation to what you're going through, customs really don't give a shit (power trip much?).

Any reason for suspicion is a good enough reason for them to do whatever they want. I would personally contest those charges and when I order anything that's not from another collector, I always ensure I leave a note instructing them to handle with care and label the damn thing fragile!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

Agreed that if Customs went and did that, they should be reimbursing the fee.