Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #941
faustx
ShelfLife Founder
Re: ShelfLife Beta Test Announcement: Very Exciting Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown View Post
Isn't it already bad enough that it's being advertised worse than spam on here? A number of us agree that it's getting to the point where it's becoming obnoxiously annoying, and limiting our browsing of certain sections of THIS forum.
Hey Breakdown,

Last thing we want is to spam anyone or upset the collectors we're trying to serve.

We're trying to balance the need to gain attention against the annoyance anyone experiences if they encounter a brand they've already decided isn't for them. If you compare mentions of ShelfLife to mentions of Ebay or other equally relevant fan sites, I'd say we're doing pretty good. Keep in mind that we consider our project legit day-to-day news since we're trying to break down the dominance of EvilBay and provide a far superior place made just for us. We're nowhere near perfect but we're working hard to get better every day and we have pretty exciting plans for this year we hope you'll be stoked to be part of.

Now personally I can't stand interactions with brands when they're clearly not anything I have a reason to care about. My bandwidth is limited and I'm sure yours is too.

So I guess my question to you is this: as a fellow super fan and as a ShelfLife founder how can I help make the project into something that you would care about enough that you would be happy to be kept in the loop?

James Chillcott
ShelfLife

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #942
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Great work, wervenom. Could you choose a featured product for each catalog, please?

The "Submit for approval" link will appear when the catalog's considered complete. If a catalog's not complete, it says why it's not complete at the top of the page.
Done and submitted
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #943
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

ShelfLife passed 5000 products and 8000 user donated photos this week...way to go people!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #944
Ozrein
Stunticon

I'm having trouble adding "haves" in the GI Joe Box Set catalogue using the "multiple have" option. It keeps coming up with "crap, something went wrong with the server". I can add individual products though.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #945
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
I'm having trouble adding "haves" in the GI Joe Box Set catalogue using the "multiple have" option. It keeps coming up with "crap, something went wrong with the server". I can add individual products though.
Thanks Ozrein...we'll get right on that.

Browser version and platform?

J

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #946
nickh
Beasty

Quote:
Hey Ozrein. I was able to reproduce this error pretty easily. It's all fixed. Give it a try now. Apologies for the error, mate.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #947
Ozrein
Stunticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustx View Post
Thanks Ozrein...we'll get right on that.

Browser version and platform?

J
Hey Faust, sorry I didnt see your post earlier. But it looks like Nick has it taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Hey Ozrein. I was able to reproduce this error pretty easily. It's all fixed. Give it a try now. Apologies for the error, mate.
Hey Nick, just checked it out and it works perfect now. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #948
nickh
Beasty

Quote:
Hey Nick, just checked it out and it works perfect now. Thanks!
Glad to hear it, Ozrein.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #949
Ozrein
Stunticon

Hey guys, a comment posted on HISSTank in regards to viewing our collection. I think you said you're working on a way to do this but I told him I'd pass the comment on and thats what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troynos (on HISS Tank)
Playing around with it. Looks pretty good. Very extensive with the parts/condition of the pieces/etc..

What I don't like, and it would probably prevent me from using it, is that there isn't a way to view my collection. I have to go into the catalogs and scroll through the lists to see what is highlighted "have".

Having a database listing would be really great and would make the site that much better.
He also added this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troynos (on HISS Tank)
For me to really use that site, I'd want to be able to see all my collection (Joe, Star Wars, Transformers, etc..) on one viewable screen.

I wouldn't need to see the parts breakdown (which, though pretty cool, isn't that high up on the list of requirements) in the overall view but I want a quick glance at what I have.

My excel spreadsheet for Joe that I used (used because it's so out of date that I really need to start over) had:
Wave/Name/Packaging (loose or MOC/MIB)/Bought Price/Notes
I very much agree with this last point where I'd want to be able to view my entire collection no matter where I am within the site. For example if I'm in the main page and in the "collect" section, then all my haves would be displayed (with options to put it in order alphabetically, by product line, by character, etc) or as I go deeper into the more specific catalogues, it would update to show my haves only within that/those catalogue(s)/sub-catalogue(s).

Last edited by Ozrein; 02-17-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Ozrein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #950
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Hey guys, a comment posted on HISSTank in regards to viewing our collection. I think you said you're working on a way to do this but I told him I'd pass the comment on and thats what I'm doing

He also added this:

I very much agree with this last point where I'd want to be able to view my entire collection no matter where I am within the site. For example if I'm in the main page and in the "collect" section, then all my haves would be displayed (with options to put it in order alphabetically, by product line, by character, etc) or as I go deeper into the more specific catalogues, it would update to show my haves only within that/those catalogue(s)/sub-catalogue(s).
Yep, top of my agenda for next week is for us to finalize our plans for Collect mode and start in on getting this working properly.

Basically, here's the plan for our three main modes, which you can feel free to relay on to others:

Buy: Normal catalogue mode, userful to even casual users, all hierarchy based.

Sell: Will launch with marketplace in April and will allow users to see everything they are selling, sales history and offers to sell from across the platform for your collection.

Collect: Will show you all of your wants and haves, and will be contextual if switched into it from different parts of the site. Switching to this mode from a catalogue distills that catalogue down to haves/wants. Doing so from a product details or item details page takes you up to the top of your entire collection.

We'd love to have this live yesterday but we're jammed with all of the other upgrades and we're killing things off one at a time.

An improved mega menu goes live this weekend, and then we'll get to work on finishing up Collect mode.

Cheers!

James

Tags
collecting, shelflife