Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Dvarik
Generation 1
Re: Others Experience with Customs Charges

• Robotkingdom: I've ordered a tremendous amount of product from them in the last year or two. I've gotten hit with duty exactly once, and that was on my order for masterpiece prowl x 2 + judora.
  • TFSource: Many orders over the last 3 years, never been charged duty.
  • BigBadToyStore: Many orders from them over the last 3 years, been charged duty a few times. eBay: too many things to list. Never been charged duty.
  • EHobbyBaseShop: Ordered once, no duty.
  • Plamoya: Ordered once, no duty.
  • CapturedPrey: Ordered once, no duty.

Seems to mostly be luck of the draw on getting charged, though BBTS orders higher than $100 appear to be targeted more. Also, fall seems much worse than the rest of the year for getting hit; makes some sense considering Black Friday and X-mas are on the horizon.

Last edited by Dvarik; 10-29-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Because my lack of formatting was an atrocity to the senses of all who dwell here.
Dvarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

My experience with HLJ and Amiami: Never got dinged custom/duty for anything under approx $100Cdn when shipped with SAL/EMS.

Over $100, It's more likely.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
teruo313
Beasty

General rule:
Shipped from Japan = good chance on customs, they declare the full value and mark it as goods.

Shipped from America = possibly, TFsource and BBTS have shipped as gifts, but given then name written all over the box, you can still get dinged, I have.

Shipped from China = most likely not going to get hit with customs. Marked as gift and lower value by most sellers.

Shipped from eBay = no idea....haven't bought anything from an international seller since eBay put in the forced customs charge that many sellers use now.
teruo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Thanks a lot guys. This gives me a good idea of what to expect. I don't mind paying customs or GST, but the brokerage fees are a rip off. I never choose FedEx or UPS as shipping services. But having your stuff held at the border? That's just crazy.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #15
CanBot
Cybertron

I've only had one package sit for about three weeks or so at the border, with no real attempt for them to get a hold of me (it took a lot of phone calls to FedEX, DHL...it was a real quest, lol), and when I took care of the fees, it went smoothly. Other times, they actually have called to let me know. But brokerage fees for me haven't been as prevalent as GST charges...and I think I mentioned the time when UPS charged me brokerage almost to the tune of the price of the item I bought!...that stung, but I took the risk with UPS and they did their job. It's not like I wasn't expecting it, so as they say, buyer beware.

For those of you who might not know, brokerage fees from items made in the United States are actually exempt from brokerage fees. There's an extensive list at the customs website that shows all items that are exempt. It's just too bad, though, that most of the stuff I order isn't "Made in the USA".
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
For those of you who might not know, brokerage fees from items made in the United States are actually exempt from brokerage fees. There's an extensive list at the customs website that shows all items that are exempt. It's just too bad, though, that most of the stuff I order isn't "Made in the USA".
Are you talking about duty and NAFTA?

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #17
CanBot
Cybertron

Whoops!...yes, I am. Apologies!...but that reminds me, it's duty charges that I have yet to be nailed on...brokerage, a few times. Taxes, lots. Duty, not yet...I think you have to have a pretty high priced item to be nailed with duty. OH...once, but at the border.

Slightly off topic, but regarding shipping rates: I assume that shipping is shipping among the major 'other than box stores' sellers, like BBTS and TFSource?

Last edited by CanBot; 11-01-2013 at 01:29 AM.
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
elburrito
Animated

I sure hope it is Japan Customs because I would hate to lose N-Y as a source. They have responded to my concern and are adamant that all of their products are new.

If fact, the responder appears to be offended that I would even suggest they might send a used product. I am keeping the MP-13b (by the way, there is no break or stress mark visible anywhere, in fact, the toy itself is in remarkable shape, just has springy legs).

I am going to work something out with Nippon-Yasan i.e., they throw me a bone of some kind and promise to double check packages to me.

Well that sucks. But are you sure it's not Japan customs? Happens to me a lot ordering from China. They open everything. And I'm sure they monkey around with my toys. Separate topic is a good idea IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
Maybe this needs its own thread and seems like it belongs here.

Nippon Yasan. Found them a couple of months ago. Preordered 2 MPs and bought 4. Generally liked the experience. Items are well packed, shipping est. are accurate and the prices are the most competitive I've found anywhere.

Everything fine until my latest, MP13b. It arrived yesterday ahead of schedule and well packed and...in a box and tray that had obviously been opened and resealed and in aesthetically pristine, but obviously handled condition (taped over broken tape on box and tray, legs and head out of alignment and situated in such a way that eliminated box shaking as a possible reason).

Also, I haven't found it yet but the legs are 'springy' in a fashion that suggests there is a broken ring of plastic in there somewhere.

Uh, hey...N-Y...what the heck are you doing?

I have written the store and detailed the concern. I left it to them to give me some incentive to continue purchasing from them.

This came has quite a surprise to me because the previous three orders were handled in a manner that bespoke professionalism and competence.

So much so that I have plugged them quite a bit on this board. Only fair then that a bad experience should find its way here as well.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Thanks for the update el burrito. I use Nippon-a lot too and never had an issue so far. I'm expecting a couple packages from them next week, including Soundblaster. I'll confirm if mine has the springy legs.

If others have any feedback on international sellers, please feel free to voice them in this thread.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
You might look at chimungmung too. Same story.
A very timely post. I was thinking of trying these guys for the first time. I'm assuming that they are based in China. How long does it generally take for them to ship to Canada? Are the items well packaged to ensure a safe arrival?
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote