Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews > Transformers Video Reviews

Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Arrow Slave's CHOGOKIN ROBO KING MICKEY & FRIENDS Review

Yes! Here's the toy's everyone been secretly wanting but no one dared getting

Here is:
Slave's CHOGOKIN ROBO KING MICKEY & FRIENDS Review

Here's the Link to the video, it's a hefty 45min, but there's the unboxing to cover, then there's 6 characters to see, plus the combination, then the final robot king, and I added a little extra funny ending that I was bored and just had to do for fun.

http://youtu.be/hDLGLfaR4DA

Now for those that want to see photos of the guy, and a quick review, pros/cons like I used to do... here it is.

All the figures are kinda small... in the video I do a comparison with Mickey Optimus figure, which is already smallish... those are smaller. But they are ALL VERY SUPER DETAILED! It's incredible the amount of details each figurines has, the paint job is stellar, there's a lot of shiny chrome, gold... every character's Chest are in die cast metal. Awesome!

What surprised me most was Daffy & Daisy... they are both ducks and both arms... I thought they'd be repaints of each others, but... wow really Bandai went to extreme detailing to put these apart. Daffy has a longer, wider beak, daisy has shorter pointier beak, the chest is completely retooled, the head obviously is different with Daffy's hat and Daisy's bow-tie, then shoes and heels... even if they are arms and ducks, they stand apart quite incredibly even tho the differences are very small details... you need to put them side by side to see they are not alike at all.

Pluto is my favorite, even tho he is a bit of disappointing in the articulation domain, he still stands apart a lot from the series. Like I mentioned the knees and elbows really would need some articulation to give hime better poses and a better transformation into combined mode. To me Pluto is an homage to the Power Ranger's Sabertooth Tiger which also formed the left Leg. He comes along his house which is nice from the front, but seen in the video, the house looks awkward from the back with robot waist kibbles visible. Pluto makes the left foot, while his house makes the knee, thigh & waist of the combined robot. pretty clever way for the transformation.

To me the weakest link is Goofy. He stand tall, which is very nice because he is pretty accurate to the size of all the characters, I really like that, but being the bigger of the lot he also has the biggest chest, which is made of metal... problem is, he is INCREDIBLY WEAK on the legs, he can BARELY stand on his own... he will fall off at the slightest breeze. he doesn't have articulation in the knees, which sucks but I can understand that he would've been even weaker to stand up, unless the knee joints would've been super tight. The problem lies in the feet, the ankle articulation is pretty loose, so he cant really hold straight. During the transformation the legs slide down inside the shoes, and that's why he cannot afford to have tight joints. it sucks, but hey... he will be posed as the giant robot anyway in the end.

In the video, due to poor camera quality, I couldnt show properly the pilots for each characters. But here's a better view. Every character has a sliding switch in the back of their heads... you look at the character's faces and you see robotic black square eyes, which are very nice and detailed, but you flip the switch and you see a tiny character that pilots the robot, which is VERY NICE.

There's a tiny super cute boat in the lot also. that boat is an homage to the very first animation that Mickey starred back in the days. The boat is super cute, very detailed with gold, silvers and tiny glass windows... it transforms into the Giant's robot head, and the head also is super detailed.

Now onto the Combined mode; CHOGOKIN ROBO KING... Wow... he's awesome in all his WTFness, he's a total mess of combined cartoon characters, but I LOVE it none the less... haha Because they are all cartoons characters, they all have oversized heads, and in CHOGOKIN ROBO KING there's a whole bunch of big heads everywhere haha, it looks weird Specially from the back with [COLOR="rgb(255, 192, 203)"]Minnie's[/COLOR] head as a backpack, but it's nice.

The transformation that leads to CHOGOKIN ROBO KING is nothing I seen before. it's very unique and I like it. I love the legs how they all come together. The chest is kinda weird with a reverse unproductive 69 sex position from Mickey and Minnie. But's its awesome how everything comes together. I REALLY love the transformation and I will play with it a lot.

Is he worth it?

I'd say to hunt him down... to me, Hobby Link Japan had the best deal with it at 116$, BBTS has it for 180$... and I seen other stores at +200$. For about 120$ I'd say not to hesitate and get it.

PROS:
  • Fun
  • Giant Robot is just Sweet looking, some posability in the arms, the weapon/shield, head's poseability...
  • Transformation to combined mode is ridiculously original fun to do
  • Amount of attention to details is stellar.
  • The individual character's posability and play factor is great
  • Beautiful paint job, chrome and gold all around the place

CONS:
  • The Giant Robot's lack of posability, arms can barely move due to huge chest plates, thighs have no motion at all, only pluto's leg can bend at the knee
  • Both arms falls off easily, the ratcheting joints are really tight, but the holding clip holding the arms onto the chest is not so tight, so trying to pose the arms will make them fall off
  • in the video, around the mark 34:40 its not seen much in the video, but I bent the flap that goes into the shoe, trying to "un-bend" the flap made it broke off, it was a terrible idea, those flaps are flimsy as hell, yet they hold complete arms. Super Glue fixed my problem, but it shouldn't have broken in the first place.
  • The noses of Mickey & Pluto and also the big Chimney on the tiny boat were loose, I'm talking about shake the toy a bit and they fall off. Nothing super glue cant fix, but no collectors likes putting super glue on their expensive collection.
  • I kinda felt dirty transforming Minnie & Mickey, both involve playing in the crotch area a lot, and not mentioning combining them into a weird 69 position...

Still for those that are extra careful with their toys, I would really recommend it, it's a very nice niche toy. I like it, I really enjoy the transformation, and still looks great in my collection next to my other Transformers, specially my Optimus Mickey ;-)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
BoNKerS
Animated
Re: Slave's CHOGOKIN ROBO KING MICKEY & FRIENDS Review

haha thanks for the review!
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Bumblebee78
Robot Master

I have received mine last week and I really like it. It is kinda small but looks super cool. (P.S. Should it not be Donald and not Daffy?)

Last edited by Bumblebee78; 04-09-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Bumblebee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

HAHAHA yes... Donald... sorry bout that... I always was more of a luney tune guy instead of a Disney... hahahah

Oh well, I'm gonna leave it there for the lulz :-P
Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Pascal
Banned

Another reason why Bandai rocks more than Takara.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Love this thing. I want it.

Is it child friendly?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

I wouldn't recommend for children. Even if there are metal parts, the plastic parts still can break. Specially in Combined mode, there is a lot of clunky plastic that can hit each other and break if not too careful.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Just saw your vid. Merci chef!

Les ports pour les bras sont supportes par des tres petit morceaux de plastique. Le jouet n'est vraiement pas bien concu. J'imagine qu'on jouera pas trop avec. c'est dommage. J'aurais aimer partager mon obessession pour les combiner avec mes enfants.

The transformation for some of them probably doesn't pass through North American sensibilities. I wonder if the transformation is some kind of sick fanservice to the serve the community this is intended for.

Last edited by Buhawi; 04-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Pascal
Banned

Ouais, t'as raison, un vrai désastre. FOC Bruticus for the win!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Other than that I found or rather my daughter found small collectible MM club figs. 7$ at winners and would probably go nicely side-by-side with those "vehicles" and combiner as pilots.

The smallest one, tiny minnie, came from a kinder surprise.

Tags
chogokin, combiner, mickey, review, slave