Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 01-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #321
justprime
Animated
Re: Repair Thread

Go to an automotive store and get a two part glue made for interior plastic repair or canadian tire sell a permatex plastic weld in the auto section it is self explanatory as it truly welds the plastic together a strong repair for joints
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #322
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
Go to an automotive store and get a two part glue made for interior plastic repair or canadian tire sell a permatex plastic weld in the auto section it is self explanatory as it truly welds the plastic together a strong repair for joints
Corosive(keep off skin) and very stinky, use outside, and you should use a resporator, as too much exposure can make you sick or light headed

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #323
yttocs
Generation 1

Hey guys,

I have a G1 Astrotrain that is missing one of the pins that holds the leg panel (train wheels) on. I still have the panel so I would like to get it fixed. Where can a guy find this pin material?
yttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #324
grizzly519
Alternator

One way is to buy dollar store figures and knock the pins out of them.Just a thought
Old 03-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #325
JLvatron
Chosen 1

My Rescue Bots Optimus Prime needs repair! He's from the large Rescue Trailer figure.

So the Truck part has 2 screws in the back, as pointed by the arrows in the 2 pics attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	36183

There are springs inside that push against the back section; this tension is required to keep the head panel down and the side panels in (doors & front wheels sections), for truck mode.

The problem is, this same tension pushes the above 2 screws out of their grooves.

Any suggestions for repairing this?

He doesn't Transform correctly without the screws in place for the tension.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #326
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Pic #2 for the above post.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	36184

Old 04-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #327
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
My Rescue Bots Optimus Prime needs repair! He's from the large Rescue Trailer figure.

So the Truck part has 2 screws in the back, as pointed by the arrows in the 2 pics attached.

Attachment 36183

There are springs inside that push against the back section; this tension is required to keep the head panel down and the side panels in (doors & front wheels sections), for truck mode.

The problem is, this same tension pushes the above 2 screws out of their grooves.

Any suggestions for repairing this?

He doesn't Transform correctly without the screws in place for the tension.
I'll check on mine this evening, see what I can come up with. My first thought is thread-locker, but that's without really looking at it.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #328
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
I'll check on mine this evening, see what I can come up with. My first thought is thread-locker, but that's without really looking at it.
After looking at it, there are three springs pushing that back part off, though not too forcefully. My screws seem to be solidly intact, and that might just be the condition of the screw holes on the front piece.

You'll need to repair the holes on the front piece that the screws go into, I suspect they may be damaged, and the screws aren't biting into as much as they need to stay still.

As a non-destructive way to try and fix it (without any sort of glue and taking the figure apart), see if three or four of layers of teflon tape on the screws help.

Or, there's water soluble Elmer's glue. a dab on the tip of the screws, tighten them down, and then use some weight to press the back and front together while the glue hardens. If there's a problem, water will remove the glue.

Hope this helps.

edit: Another thought; it might be that the plastic shaft that goes through the arm pivots have broken partway through. If this is the case, you gotta take the figure apart. There's enough pressure surrounding the pieces to keep the back piece connected because it would need to pull straight out instead of rotate along the axis of the "butt" pin (and that can't move very much).

You'll have to remove that "butt" pin to take the back off. Be careful and good luck trying to keep the springs where they're supposed to be.

Last edited by Shepp; 04-05-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #329
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yttocs View Post
Hey guys,

I have a G1 Astrotrain that is missing one of the pins that holds the leg panel (train wheels) on. I still have the panel so I would like to get it fixed. Where can a guy find this pin material?
Alternatively, buy a junker astrotrain (broken bad condition one) for cheap that has the pin you need, then knock it out and keep the pin.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:43 PM   #330
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Many thanks for your suggestions, Shepp!

Quote:
You'll need to repair the holes on the front piece that the screws go into, I suspect they may be damaged, and the screws aren't biting into as much as they need to stay still.

As a non-destructive way to try and fix it (without any sort of glue and taking the figure apart), see if three or four of layers of teflon tape on the screws help.

Or, there's water soluble Elmer's glue. a dab on the tip of the screws, tighten them down, and then use some weight to press the back and front together while the glue hardens. If there's a problem, water will remove the glue.

Hope this helps.
I folded the tape width wise to fit the length of the screws, as they're not long; so effectively about 6-8 layers of Teflon. Worked well for the tighter screw, it holds, but not the looser; its hole threads are definitely stripped, although I can feel some ridges with a tiny screw driver.

Tried the glue, no change. The hollow shaft is more than double the length of the screw, so the glue is likely continuing down the pipe.

Quote:
edit: Another thought; it might be that the plastic shaft that goes through the arm pivots have broken partway through. If this is the case, you gotta take the figure apart. There's enough pressure surrounding the pieces to keep the back piece connected because it would need to pull straight out instead of rotate along the axis of the "butt" pin (and that can't move very much).

You'll have to remove that "butt" pin to take the back off. Be careful and good luck trying to keep the springs where they're supposed to be.
The shafts are intact, that 2nd 1 is just highly stripped inside.
I've never removed a pin before; I kinda don't want to, as I'm not too sure what I can do afterwards.

I wonder if I can replace the screw with the next diameter?

Do you know where I can get screws that small?
The Canadian Tire near me is usually no help, even if they have the products!

Last edited by JLvatron; 05-23-2017 at 10:53 PM.