Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
Iron Moose
Knows things
Re: Did TR have fewer redecos/retools than usual?

I'm having flashbacks to people claiming Energon Starscream was a retool of G2 Smokescreen.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Moose View Post
I'm having flashbacks to people claiming Energon Starscream was a retool of G2 Smokescreen.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #23
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

Titans Return Broadside is apparently a retool of Alpha Trion. Yes. Seriously. Look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Moose View Post
Ha ha, that popped into my mind too. Another instance of people getting all rilled up over nothing.

Sayonara.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #24
joedick
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
I'm wondering if this is a trend that's going to carry on to PotP. I don't know if you can really re-deco the dinobots, and it's probably going to be a stretch with the predacons/terrorcons as well.
I'd be shocked if the Dinobots and Predacons didn't share some elements with each other, especially since both will be combiners.

Last edited by joedick; 12-03-2017 at 07:15 PM.
joedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #25
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatron View Post
Titans Return Broadside is apparently a retool of Alpha Trion. Yes. Seriously. Look into it.
You can see parts they share visibly, cheifly the panels on the calves and the feet.

But yeah I would say as a whole HasTak were better with the amount of repaints/head-swaps, and we got more heavy retools

Hardhead / Quake
Scourge / Highbrow / Windblade
Blurr / Brainstorm / Nautica / Arcee
Skullsmasher / Krok
Chromedome / Breakaway
Mindwipe / Optimus Primal
Weirdwolf
Hot Rod
Twinferno / Grotusque
Triggerhappy / Metalhawk / Misfire / Slugslinger
Perceptor (not buying that this is Hardhead)
Topspin / Twintwist
Kup / Orion Pax

Keeping in mind lots of these are exclusives of some kind, and how distinct some of these "retools" are from another, I'd say we were spoiled in comparison to recent lines
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 PM   #26
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
You can see parts they share visibly, cheifly the panels on the calves and the feet.

But yeah I would say as a whole HasTak were better with the amount of repaints/head-swaps, and we got more heavy retools

Hardhead / Quake
Skullsmasher / Krok
Chromedome / Breakaway
Weirdwolf
Hot Rod
Twinferno / Grotusque
Topspin / Twintwist
Kup / Orion Pax

Keeping in mind lots of these are exclusives of some kind, and how distinct some of these "retools" are from another, I'd say we were spoiled in comparison to recent lines

Yeah pax, Nautica, brainstorm, arcee, all more exclusive toys vs a pile of retools on the pegs. Trion does equal broadside which is quite interesting. Obviously they only share a few actual parts. The titan master is the same.

Whereas combiner wars was lousy with repaints or only new head retools. Outside of a few total reshells like swindle or wheeljack. So many skydives. So many dead ends. So many hot spots.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #27
prime
Generation 2

Quote:
Also the carrier/space cruiser mode gives it away, but the other modes are different enough that it's understandable if you missed it.

Quote:
Hardhead / Quake
Skullsmasher / Krok
Chromedome / Breakaway
Weirdwolf
Hot Rod
Twinferno / Grotusque
Topspin / Twintwist
Kup / Orion Pax
That's pretty much the list I was thinking of, excluding Primal - that was a e-hobby exclusive wasn't it? (Otherwise we'd be including croc-megs, etc.) For sake of argument if it wasn't sighted in a major store somewhere in the country, I'm not counting it.

To my original point though, (if we exclude Metalhawk who you can't purchase individually), practically no one got more than 2 retools, those that did usually only got 1, and we saw very few straight redecos, all of which points to a reduction over the past (which is a good thing!).

As for Perceptor/Hardhead, yeah
@down_shift has some explaining to do....

Last edited by prime; 12-04-2017 at 12:02 AM.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:31 AM   #28
Msol
Titanium

Still waiting for some evidence that Hardhead and Perceptor are related in any way. What a strange claim to make.

Anyways, the fact that Scourge and Highbrow share tooling is so neat. The current team really knows how to get the most out of their molds. The neo-seeker idea was just awesome, as well. Really ties the group together and improves on what G1 had.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #29
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
Also the carrier/space cruiser mode gives it away, but the other modes are different enough that it's understandable if you missed it.

That's pretty much the list I was thinking of, excluding Primal - that was a e-hobby exclusive wasn't it? (Otherwise we'd be including croc-megs, etc.) For sake of argument if it wasn't sighted in a major store somewhere in the country, I'm not counting it.

To my original point though, (if we exclude Metalhawk who you can't purchase individually), practically no one got more than 2 retools, those that did usually only got 1, and we saw very few straight redecos, all of which points to a reduction over the past (which is a good thing!).

As for Perceptor/Hardhead, yeah
@down_shift has some explaining to do....
Croc-Megs is just Skullsmasher's Body with a different head, so I wouldn't count that, whereas Primal was an e-hobby exclusive yes, but a completely different deco than Mindwipe. I understand why one would omit e-hobby Primal, but that figure is seemingly more abundant than Grotusque, Arcee, or Brainstorm, which were also all weird exclusives, but most people count them among TR's releases. Anyway, not personal, sorry to nitpick. But to me I feel you should inclue all the exclusives, or none

Was just trying to go through all the uses of the deluxe molds from this line to illustrate that most get heavily altered between "retools", the only straight repaints who were regular releases were Quake, Krok, and Breakaway.

Like Windblade and Highbrow share almost zero parts but they're still considered by many to be the "same toy", I would say that was the designers greatest success with this line, is that many of the retools felt like completely new, different toys.

Going back to Alpha/Broadside, yes they share some parts, but the two are so distinct from one another; they have more differences than similarities.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #30
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
It's no secret Perceptor is a heavy retool of Hardhead.
First time I hear of it. I cant even see how they are similar or would come from a similar mold. Do you have any evidence to back up the claim?

TR had much less redecos/retools than CW, as RNS Robot pointed out above.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote