Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Radiation74
Generation 1
Thinking of getting out of the toy biz

I'm turning 40 next year, and I'm thinking that I'm about done playing with toys. How much would I get for loose complete hasbro Masterpiece line ( without instructions ) ?

20th Prime with trailer
Prime 2
Soundwave
Thundercracker
Skywarp
Starscream
Acid Storm
Grimlock
Rodimus
Takara Megatron

I've become annoyed with not having a dedicated ( locked ) toy room. Nieces and nephews come over and they want to play with the toys ( of course ) , so I have to march all my stuff upstairs when we are expecting company. I don't want to sell them and get a crappy return, and I know I won't get all the money back that I spent.

Just curious. Thanks.
Radiation74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: Thinking of getting out of the toy biz

It's going to be hard selling the lot for a decent price that you are happy with. You will get more money by piecing it out IMO

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 10-08-2013 at 11:38 PM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Just box them up and put them in the attic/garage.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

hi radiation 74 welcome to the boards.

First off, I would say hold on to them. You will probably, like most of us, regret selling them when they are gone.

Secondly, if you want to know what the going rate is, I usually check "completed auctions" in ebay.

Just go to ebay, click on advanced search, then click the box that says completed items. That would give you a ballpark. Take the median price that they sell for, and then mark it down a bit.

Like the other poster said, if you really want to sell them, you'll get lots more money selling them separately, lots are a little harder to sell and people generally expect a bit of a discount for buying in quantity.

good luck, hope it works out for ya!
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Radiation74
Generation 1

I checked ebay already, and there wasn't a lot of completed listing for loose Hasbro MPs. One for rodimus, prime mp 10, thundercracker and Grimlock went for 500. Loose grimlocks 200 +.

I have the box and instructions for Megatron and Soundwave has all his minions. Would 1000 be an unrealistic amount to ask for all of them? Then there is the worry of ebay and yada yada yada.

Maybe just nerve pills?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Deception
Crossover

1000 seems like a deal but who has that much money to spend on toys at one time? finding buyers with that those kind of pockets aren't easy
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Radiation74
Generation 1

True.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
Hellboy
Alternator

Psst... I'm 45... I didn't get back into Transformers until I was 40. I had a good 20-year hiatus and above all it's the Masterpieces that brought me back (Damn you Grimlock!).

Selling the items individually will net you the most return. Anyone buying the lot will want a significant deal. Of course, finding somebody who doesn't already have at least 3 or 4 of the ones you list is probably someone too young to drop $1000 to start off their collection.

Any other person wanting the lot will most likely be a dealer who will want to pay only half of what he/she thinks they can sell it for in return.

My advice... spend $79 on an Ikea display tower and lock it up so the young'ins can look but not touch.

If you must sell list them here individually and you will probably sell them quickly for a fair price.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Put them on ebay, and start with 10 cents... you will be surprised that you get more than a thousand easily.

EDIT: Oh, and I mean put them on ebay SEPERATELY, don't sell them as a lot!

Last edited by protoform_ironhide; 10-09-2013 at 02:10 AM.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
CanBot
Cybertron

It seems from your post that the solution to your problem is to sell your toys, but the reasoning is that you're too old...but the real reason seems to be not having proper storage space. You don't want to box them up, because really, they don't give you any kind of enjoyment that way...plus you shouldn't have to do that. You're an adult and you're the one who enforces the rules in your own home, even more so when young family are around. That being said you probably don't want to see like the creepy Uncle with a bunch of 'toys' that he doesn't let his young child-aged family 'play' with...and I put this in quotes because the money you spent on each MP line means...these ain't your everyday 'toys'. Of course, your family won't understand. Hence your frustration.

You won't see a typical Mom let the kids play with Royal Dalton dolls and figures, but you're supposed to let them play with figures for adults because...well, just 'because'.

I say you should get some kind of storage locker that has doors, but not see-through. Anybody who knows kids (and hey, we were all kids once) knows that 'look but don't touch' just don't work! Keep it out of their site, not yours. Lock it up when they come over.

That's plan one. Next, go down to any big box store and but a bunch of clearance Transformers...preferably, ones you don't give a shit about! Then...next time they come over and wanna see Uncle Toybot's collection and break of Soundwave's arm in the process, you say "SURE KIDS!", cackle like Krusty the Clown, and bring out the fodder. And lay on the 'specialty sauce' THICK: "Ok, kids, now make sure you play nicely with these and don't break them!" blah blah blah and so forth. Then just leave the room and make sure you have the epoxy ready for when they leave.

This seems over the top but that's the price we have to pay to be 'that Uncle'. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about...best of luck!
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote