Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
The Winnipeg Jets Possible Return

I think this requires a seperate thread from our standard NHL thread so as we can keep the on ice news somewhat seperate from the off ice shenanigans surrounding this seemingly never ending story..

The chatter surrounding the return of the Winnipeg Jets is almost deafening at this point having reached a fever pitch today with the mayor of the City of Glendale calling a press conference to flat out blame the Goldwater Institute for holding up the sale of the Coyotes to this Hulzinger fellow.

Hulzinger has stated that he won't buy the team with the pending lawsuit.

The NHL had extended the December 31st "deadline" for this deal to be done with the hope that it would close in early spring. That ain't happening and the parties involved appear to be preparing exit strategies(like finger pointing at Goldwater).

Tonight we've also had several reporters claiming the move back to Winnipeg is a done deal.............of course we've heard similar things before.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed in anycase. There's a lot of smkoe right now for there to be no fire.

Goldwater had this to say following the mayors press conference:

Dear Mayor Scruggs:
Thank you for your interest in meeting with the Goldwater Institute.
We have discussed our concerns and met repeatedly and at length with Jordan Rose and the city of Glendale’s attorneys. Our concerns have not changed since these discussions and meetings were held, except when the City decided to pledge sales tax revenues to repay the bonds. That places the taxpayers in the position of having massive liability if the team fails again. We also shared this concern with the city.

As you know, the Gift Clause requires a tangible quid pro quo for payments made to a private company or individual. The crux of the deal is the City obtaining parking rights in exchange for giving a payment of $100 million to the purchaser. We believe the City already owns the parking rights. We have examined all of the documents the City contends prove the opposite, and those documents fortify our conclusion. If the City owns the parking rights, then there is no consideration and the deal is unquestionably invalid.

Even if the team owns the parking rights, they must be worth the $100 million the City is paying. We believe the revenues will be insufficient to repay the debt. If they are insufficient or if the team fails, the taxpayers, not the purchaser, is liable. That is where we believe the deal should be restructured to avoid an illegal gift. If the parking rights are as valuable as the City apparently believes, then the purchaser should borrow the money necessary to make the purchase, not the City.

We continue waiting on the City to provide us with the remaining documents that are relevant to this arrangement, per the Court order. Once we have those documents, we will review them. At that time, we would be glad to offer additional analysis. At this point, however, we have no new analysis to offer. If the City chooses to restructure the deal, we will also be pleased to review it.

Sincerely,
Darcy Olsen
The Goldwater Institute

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: The Winnipeg Jets Possible Return

I would love to see the Jets back in the league, but I'm afraid this is just another tease. Maybe this will actually be the time they realize some of these US markets will not support NHL hockey... But I am not holding my breath.

Here's to seeing the Jets and Nordiques back in the not too distant future.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Smile Re: The Winnipeg Jets Possible Return

It could be a tease...but now that the CDN$ is on par with US$; and far better than it was in the early-mid 90s, Canadian cities can support an NHL team again.

It would be cool to see the Jets and Nordiques back. As long as there's no more in Ontario...R-Ottawa is enough. Two per province would nice. Any cities east of Quebec City big enough to be able to support a team? Or any city in Saskatchewan?

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Pascal
Banned

Coyotes back to Winnipeg and Islanders or Trashers moved to Quebec. That's what should happen.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
jacobot
drone 179

Quebec is getting an arena from the Feds... What's the Peg getting?
jacobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

That would be fan-freakin-tastic. Winnipeg was always a great place for Hockey. It would be great to see a couple teams come back to Canada. I don't see the issue with taking teams out of non-Hockey markets and putting them back in cities that could work out a lot better.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobot View Post
Quebec is getting an arena from the Feds... What's the Peg getting?
We've already got it all, so to speak. We've got basically a brand new building, a strong potential ownership group(Moose Owner Mark Chipman & Billionaire David Thompson) and hockey fans.

I think Quebec is a good possibility as well but they have to get everything ready over the next few years. Mark Chipman has been in talks with the NHL for over 5 years now so a good foundation has already been built.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

I stopped watching hockey when the Jets moved. Haven't watched a game since. This may be enough to get me to tune in again. That and the Jets cheerleaders (they WILL have cheerleaders, right?)
Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

I hope if the Jets do come back to Winnipeg, Benny does too!!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobot View Post
Quebec is getting an arena from the Feds...
Provincial government actually. Harper never budged.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote