Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #71
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Lego Collectible Minifigure sightings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgertron View Post
I think this wouldn't be as big of a problem if stores actualy STOCKED these things regularly...the only place I've found them in Vancouver was Urban Outfitters, and they were $6...
The problem isn't stocking, it is the fact that most stores only recieve about three to four cases of these and that seems to be the extent they are offered for each branch... And thanks to high-demand, scalpers and billions of children who want to buy these things worldwide... Well Supply just dosen't meet demand.

Even when making these with cheap Chinese labor compared to regular LEGO sets, the Collectible Mini-Figures are just not meeting demand, but on the flip side, LEGO doesn't want to have warehouses stuffed full with these things unable to sell... Honestly, once you have all sixteen from any given set, with maybe one or two doubles of the really popular and unique figures, you are left with a ton of figures (Sumo, possibly the Diver from Series one or the Mime from Series two.) that people just don't want or aren't interested in.

So LEGO is stuck on a tightrope, on the one hand, if they make enough to meet the highly popular demand of these cheap little guys, they please the public and put a crimp on those GOD DAMN Scalpers who troll through the cases for the high ticket figures and leave you with Gorilla Suit Guys and Sumos and stuff. But on the other, they could do that and be stuck with boxes of them that just won't sell after everyone has managed to collect a full set of sixteen.

LEGO Collectible Mini-Figures is the Basbeball Cards and Bubblegum of this generation... Or to go a bit closer to some of our ages... The pogs of this generation. Only unlike Pogs I suspect they will be here for a long time to come still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
I bought 6 of these, got 4 I didn't want, 1 I was on the fence about, and I got the one I wanted most! Not bad, considering the odds. I tried the baggy-dot-method-crap, but that only worked for the Alien. A few of them, I couldn't even find the dot pattern on whatever key I was using.. I didn't try very long though, like 5min total.

Oh well, got my Alien! *walks away*

It is really quite simple to discern the dots from the rest of the packaging with practice. I bought about six initially and once I got them home I studied the packaging quite carefully until I figured out where the dots were likely to be and the specific patterns most of them seemed to have with visibility, the ones that were harder to make out from the ones that were clearer and so on and so forth.

Then of course there's the old tried and true method, take a quick glance and then fake it. With that method I sucessfully managed to get seventeen figures and out of all of them I got pretty much every single one I was aiming for with exception to the Hula Girl. I wasn't even trying when I got my Snowboarder and my first Elf last Saturday. (Although to be fair the Elf has so many dots in his code that it isn't too difficult to figure out you've got him when you've got him.)

Then again, this morning when I picked up the latest three I wasn't even remotely trying. I settled on one that I figured had to be an Elf, one I figured had to be something, whether it was one I needed or not was hard to tell, and in the end I wound up with the Baseball Player of all things, which really made my day. But when I got to the third one, well, I had tried desperately to avoid any packages with the double dot pattern I recognized as being part of the Sumo, and this time I thought I had succeeded because it looked like there were at least five or six dots on the dang thing... But no, dissapointment central when instead of the Pilot, Samurai or Hula Girl, or heck even a second Rapper or Cyborg, once again I get Mister Sumo.

So yeah, the Fake it til you Make it approach is a good method, but it can lead to heartache and dissapointment... Or heartburn. :lol
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #72
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I'm kinda shocked they are doing Lego's based on Planet of the Apes........(Benzo's Picture)

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #73
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

^^^

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Series 5 yet... like the Godzilla suit guy

G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #74
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Good news... Series 4 is out! Bad news... the price went up to $3.28 a pack. I just picked up a case this morning @ Walmart (and will return duplicates shortly after). I didn't get a chance to look at them yet, but I did not see any bumps at the few packs I glanced at. I'll be feeling these up later tonight and post some pics. Hopefully I got the complete set.

EDIT: Looks like there are bumps, cheat sheet link... http://www.minifigcollector.com/
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca

Last edited by CobraCommander; 03-19-2011 at 09:04 AM.
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #75
CyberMnky
Animated

MAn if series 4 is out now, I'll never get teh gorilla suit from 3 - nutters

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #76
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Smile Re: Lego Collectible Minifigure sightings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
MAn if series 4 is out now, I'll never get teh gorilla suit from 3 - nutters
I still see some at my TRUs...pickup up another Space Villain.

But yeah, Series 4 at Agincourt Mall Wal-Mart...2 boxes. But the price scanner told me to ask an associate for assistance.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #77
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Good God, I still need three more from series 3... and the price is going up? Why? I get the price went up in the States, but I was hoping our price would stay constant.

I mean come on, we're already paying 3$ for them, if they raise it to 4$ at TRU, these things just aren't that worth it in the end run. Besides our dollar is like really strong last I heard and so the price should remain the same... Of course Wal-Mart wants their share I suppose.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #78
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Series 4 out at Calgary Mckenzie Walmart. Far foo soon IMO
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #79
pandaprime
aficionado!

Series 4 out at Vancouver Grandview Walmart. Timing s'allright IMO

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca