Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions
Re: Reissue Vs. Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vain View Post
Are you collecting because you like them? Then there shouldn't be a problem to just roll with the cheaper reissues.
I wouldn't touch a reissue with a 30 foot pole...does that mean I don't like my Tfs?

I only collect vintage figures. I collect Transformers mainly because of nostalgia so it dosen't make sense to me to buy reissues. These are not the figures I played with as a kid. My toys did not look mint so the reissues just seem like souless bodies to me. Whenever I got a G1 figure, the first thing I would do is actually looks for some age wear so I would know it was original for sure

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
chans formers
raff ow roud

i collect both new and old,but i mess with the newer reissue bots more,whereas the older ones are all in airtight ziplock bags,inside of tupperware bins.
newer plastic to myself = less chance of breakage because of the age of it.

but about the encore bruticus,iirc,wasn't there a whole mess of q/c issues with him?i think that was why i didn't bother with the recently released reissue.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
Ozrein
Stunticon

I dont mind reissues at all. I originally tried to go vintage as much as I could and did so with most of the main figures (it helped my bro and I still had our figures from childhood which filled about 1/3 to 1/2 of my current G1 collection). But I did go with some reissues, specially of the repaints like Smokescreen and Blue/Silverstreak. And reissue Piranacon was just too good of a deal to pass up.

So yeah, I guess I prefer vintage but will happily settle for a reissue if it makes sense.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
but I do buy reissues (or, yes, occassionally KOs) for pieces which are, I believe, excessively priced, or, where the reissue is close enough to the original for my taste.

For example, I have a Takara bookstyle reissue Kup/Wheelie, which I think is the "best" version of Kup (yes, better than originals) since he includes both his targetmaster and his gun. I also have a KO Shockwave and Reflector (more efficient in terms of price), and Encore reissues of inferno/ratchet (they were a good deal, and they're identical to the originals).

But that said, I avoid some hasbro reissues that use plastic instead of chrome weaponry, or have long missiles, short stacks, etc. to comply with new safety regulations. I'd prefer vintage pieces to reissues in these cases.

I'm also cautious about some reissues (Bruticus, Piranacon) which either use modified molds, or feature significantly degraded quality due to the reuse of the mold.
this pretty much sums it up for my g1 collecting as well, although the only reissues i have at the moment are soundwave (have 2 originals as well of him) and twincast with flipsides

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
pulsedragon20
I win

I prefer buying the original version than reissues...that's if I could afford them

I don't mind buying reissues, especially if the price is right (ex Piranacon)

I am against buying KOs (except the headmaster set because there is no way in hell I could afford some of them)

Last edited by pulsedragon20; 02-02-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: typos and wording
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #16
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

I collect for the nostalgia and I love the reissues. Seriously, wear and tear on a vintage toy would really turn me off, but so would the insanely high price of a mint condition vintage toy. So for me, reissues have the advantage of being minty fresh and a price that is reasonable for me.
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #17
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I'm like chans, I don't fiddle with my vintage TFs, esp. since some of them are older than I am.

The reissues are a much more cheaper and sometimes nicer alternative. The Star Convoy Reissue has a slightly nicer paint scheme and details (upper legs painted silver instead of white, the headlights are also more detailed I think). Ask Cheers Ian, he LOVES that figure! lmao

But I've found most reissues to be very good: new condition, same or better packaging, and better price point.
Of course, some reissues can be bad, like the Encore Bruticus.

What I really don't get is that some people go apeshit and preach original G1 and argue/insult others who like reissues like they're a religious cult member. I'm not saying here on the boards, but I've seen it at conventions.

Frankly, buying vintage online is such a hassle since you never know if it's got a loose joint/subtle defect that irks you (even with good description). And if you buy in person, you can inspect it, but sometimes it can cost an arm and a leg.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
justprime
Animated

Having G1 to compare to I find that the Hasbro versions are off color, have been modified in some cases (if they are reissue shouldn't they be like the originals in at least apperance,.. Prime with short stacks doesn't do it ) the off color is a nice way to tell originals apart from reissue,.. no chrome on acc..working spring launchers... etc,... I prefer the Takara reissue a little more in price but a far better piece than Hasbros.... the reissues are a vary good way to bring back G1 at a reasonable price,... I would have thought that they would have continued this further,.. giving us some of the pieces that never came here from overseas.that said I am glad to see the reappearance and renewed interest by new and old collectors of this line.
justprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
Camaroman2
Better than a Masterpiece

Well, I like both, although I only have one original figure in my collection (all others are reissues). It's a G1 Overide (not a ko) that I got mint on the card from some schmuck for $35. So I prefer that they'd be in good condition. It's still a dream of mine to have a G1 Fort Max.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Thumbs up Re: Reissue Vs. Original

I collect both.

I since reissues started to be released, I no longer fiddle with my originals while watching tv.

Reissues are cheaper to replace if you accidently break a piece or lose 1 or more accessories. Who honestly handles their vintage Japanese Stepper? I don't have one, but if I did, I wouldn't.

It's also one of the reasons why I buy the KOs.

IMO, it's also great for the little relatives or guests who aren't collectors, they have something to distract them instead of watching tv all the time. As a host, having them watch tv so you can do "host" things is boring, same as leaving magazines on the coffee table, it's like waiting for the doctor or something.

Thrill of the hunt for the vintage is great, I still enjoy it. I can safely say I have 83% of all US released Series 1-7. I know I'll have to pay a pretty penny for the ones I'm missing, but I have patience.

As for other people's opinions, they're valid too.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote