Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 AM   #1
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker
Transformer storage tips

Hey dudes,

Since the Titans Return line started my TF collection has really grown and I'm starting to cycle stuff out of my displays to make room for new stuff.

I'm normally a Joe collector so storage comes in two types; figs in smallish zip-loc(tm) bags then stacked in a small-medium tote and large totes full of vehicles with bags of missiles and such, but mostly air.

I've found with Transformers that since they're so much heavier and there are SO many different sizes, I've resorted to wrapping larger figs in plastic grocery bags and stuffing them into bankers boxes (totes would end up weighing too much once full)

Any suggestions of a better way to do things?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #2
justprime
Animated
Re: Transformer storage tips

I use the biger to biggest ziplock bags they make them that will even do fort max as for totes the yellow and black that depot has there durable and protect from both light and weight (300lbs) and are stackable..... for the titans in boxes supream class rubbermaid makes them big enough for these giants
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

I just packed up a case of figs for an upcoming move, my usual go-to is using old stuffies to insulate the figs inside a box

This time however, I wrapped all figs in old bedsheets/pillowcase sheets and packed them tightly inside - as close to top of box as possible, and then filling the negative space with excess cloth or paper towels.

At least in this manner I feel the case is safe enough for transport, without damaging my figs

Haven't moved with my FortMax or Trypticon yet, though - that'll be a treat
From what I can tell, Trypt's legs are removable enough that he could probably travel in his original box - is FortMax's one arm there removable in the same manner? I didn't get that impression during assembly
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
I just packed up a case of figs for an upcoming move, my usual go-to is using old stuffies to insulate the figs inside a box

This time however, I wrapped all figs in old bedsheets/pillowcase sheets and packed them tightly inside - as close to top of box as possible, and then filling the negative space with excess cloth or paper towels.

At least in this manner I feel the case is safe enough for transport, without damaging my figs

Haven't moved with my FortMax or Trypticon yet, though - that'll be a treat
From what I can tell, Trypt's legs are removable enough that he could probably travel in his original box - is FortMax's one arm there removable in the same manner? I didn't get that impression during assembly
My understanding is that TR Fort Max is a bastard to get apart. I reckon he'll get dumped in the bottom of a Joe vehicle tote if I ever have to move. (Or get a used childs car seat and put him in that for the laughs)

Do you wrap the figs all separately or bunch them together? I worry about them bashing into each other if together and wrecking the paint/stickers.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
I use the biger to biggest ziplock bags they make them that will even do fort max as for totes the yellow and black that depot has there durable and protect from both light and weight (300lbs) and are stackable..... for the titans in boxes supream class rubbermaid makes them big enough for these giants
Do you think you could find the link at Home Depot for me so I can check them out? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rubberm.../6000192228754

These are the ones that are my goto for Joes. All but the largest vehicles fit in 'em and I was using them for my Commemorative G1 figs. Even this small tote got very heavy with Transformers. Joes, not so much, I can stack them 6 high with little problem tough more than that they start to deform. I'd guess I could only stack 3 of these with TFs.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Deception
Crossover

i use the jumbo one. still not enough room to fit everything in :S
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post
Do you wrap the figs all separately or bunch them together? I worry about them bashing into each other if together and wrecking the paint/stickers.
It's tough to describe, but I inter-lay them kind of like bacon ripples

For one layer, say I put down four figs (usually in alt mode, or whatever is most compact), I'll put the sheet down one edge to the wall of the box/tote, with the rest hanging out
I space the figs out so there's a space between each, then fold the sheet over them, creating a new "layer"
On this second layer, I place some more figs in the spaces I left in the first layer
Keep folding the sheet over and inter-laying figs (keeping in mind to occupy all negative space if possible, whether with smaller figs or just bunching up the sheet a bit) - may need to use multiple sheets, but it depends how secure you want your dudes
The important thing is to make sure it's packed fairly tightly (not cramming), so that there's minimal space to jostle around
I mean, we're not going to FedEx this thing and kick the hell out of it, should still keep the box/tote upright, but this is just the manner in which I insulate my figs during moves

It's also worth noting I typically only reserve this method for figs I really like, beaters can just junk around and who cares

My whole Animated collection and the Beast Wars 10th anniversary figs, I put them back in their original packaging and they are all in boxes, haven't checked on them in a few years, hope they are all fine (BW10 Dinobot especially)
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
justprime
Animated

Go on to there sight ..
Its under storage tote...its HDX strong box 102 liter 11 dollars and change....
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
TRUCKvsGUN

Don't use zip-locs for long-term storage:
http://www.onepercase.net/2012/04/ps...ures-like.html

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote