Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #31
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: If you think the Siege Deluxe at $29.99 is absurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
For prices, I started collecting again around 2007-2008. This was the time of Transformers Animated. I can't speak for prices before that time, but back then Deluxes were around $15. Voyagers $30 Ultras were $40 and Leaders $60.

I just realized there's a way to confirm this. Just take a look back at the sightings threads. They have prices listed there. Popping into the BC sightings thread and checking out the first few pages and anyone can see what the prices were in Canadian.
You'd be correct with those prices.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #32
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
For prices, I started collecting again around 2007-2008. This was the time of Transformers Animated. I can't speak for prices before that time, but back then Deluxes were around $15. Voyagers $30 Ultras were $40 and Leaders $60.

I just realized there's a way to confirm this. Just take a look back at the sightings threads. They have prices listed there. Popping into the BC sightings thread and checking out the first few pages and anyone can see what the prices were in Canadian.
Looking at the old pages, comparing the actual figures, what I can say is that 12 years ago, what consisted of what class was used was completely inconsistent across the series, where one deluxe in one, would barely pass if in another series.

One massive example of that which is fairly recent is the Megatron "wing" that was a 20$ deluxe 2013, then re-release in 2017 in a fancy box and was now 30$, BUT as it was, it was a very small figure compared to other fancy movie /deluxe".

Seriously, put multiple series "deluxe" side by side and it's easy to see the difference in size and quality.

Heck, put POTP Prime, which is Orion pax "deluxe" (and then some) and the trailer body... Can you put it next to Siege Ultra Magnus and say that they are "equal" as they are both leaders?

I wouldn't...

All this to say, it's still very inconsistent, and I guess that makes overpricing easier.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 01-15-2019 at 09:23 PM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #33
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Seriously, put multiple series "deluxe" side by side and it's easy to see the difference in size and quality.

Heck, put POTP Prime, which is Orion pax "deluxe" (and then some) and the trailer body... Can you put it next to Siege Ultra Magnus and say that they are "equal" as they are both leaders?

I wouldn't...

All this to say, it's still very inconsistent, and I guess that makes overpricing easier.
You're talking about two different things here. First is the price for a specific class of figure, and second is what you get at that price point.

In terms of what you get for what they're charging for a deluxe, voyager, or leader now is definitely less than what we got before. In some cases the differences are marginal. In other cases they're very significant.

With that said, in terms of comparing present prices to past prices, you can only compare price points to the same price point. A deluxe class is still a deluxe class and voyager is still a voyager. Etc.

Just because one deluxe figure gives you a little more or a little less bang for your buck, doesn't change the fact that it's still a deluxe figure.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #34
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
You're talking about two different things here. First is the price for a specific class of figure, and second is what you get at that price point.

In terms of what you get for what they're charging for a deluxe, voyager, or leader now is definitely less than what we got before. In some cases the differences are marginal. In other cases they're very significant.

With that said, in terms of comparing present prices to past prices, you can only compare price points to the same price point. A deluxe class is still a deluxe class and voyager is still a voyager. Etc.

Just because one deluxe figure gives you a little more or a little less bang for your buck, doesn't change the fact that it's still a deluxe figure.
But when the deluxe class figure was boosted by $10 and it's really a "Legends+" figure then you can't really call it a deluxe class... Heck Shockwave is a Voyager not a $70 Leader class... They can use wtv fancy name they want but we're the stupid naive ones believing in what they say and trying to justify it.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #35
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:

Not when you have a deluxe (or other class)that is vastly superior in quality and design.

Example...
RiD Twinferno wing plane vs a movie plane like Terradive.

or even better
my previous example of the Megatron wing.. Same figure, new head and paint which are NOT a true improvement, and yet, 10$ difference.. Over what? A box over a card and bubble?

But anyways, if you want to justify the price increase and are set that it's ok with you, then what can I say?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #36
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
But when the deluxe class figure was boosted by $10 and it's really a "Legends+" figure then you can't really call it a deluxe class... Heck Shockwave is a Voyager not a $70 Leader class... They can use wtv fancy name they want but we're the stupid naive ones believing in what they say and trying to justify it.
Thank you! So nice to see someone that gets it!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:25 AM   #37
joshimus
Metroplex

As much as I love Siege Shockwave, for a Leader class, he's pathetic in size. Great figure but overpriced. I mean his transformation is still basically a couple steps with add on armor. For what he cost and his size he is over-priced imo. He should have a voyager pricetag.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 AM   #38
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post

Quote:
Not when you have a deluxe (or other class)that is vastly superior in quality and design.

Example...
RiD Twinferno wing plane vs a movie plane like Terradive.

or even better
my previous example of the Megatron wing.. Same figure, new head and paint which are NOT a true improvement, and yet, 10$ difference.. Over what? A box over a card and bubble?
OK can either of you tell me the specific point where a figure is allowed to be called a deluxe and when it's not? I really didn't know there were specific and not just arbitrary rules to this outside of what it says on the packaging.

Is it height, parts count, girth?

Honestly, I have no idea what a Megatron "wing" is, so you'll have to be less opaque in describing what figure you mean. But regardless, it's hardly a new thing to repackage reissues of old figures and charge more. Those who have the original can pass on it, and those who don't have an opportunity to get it. It's just like reissuing the G1 stuff.

There have always been small and large deluxes and small and large voyagers, etc. Have you seen the size of Animated Lockdown? He's almost the same height as ultra class Onslaught. Would you label him a voyager or an ultra figure? No, he's a deluxe.

If it's priced as a deluxe and labelled as a deluxe, guess what? It's a deluxe. It may be an overpriced deluxe. It may be a very tiny sized deluxe. It may be deluxe that doesn't give you good bang for your buck, but what ever you choose to label it in your head, officially, it's a deluxe, and it's priced as such.

Quote:

But anyways, if you want to justify the price increase and are set that it's ok with you, then what can I say?
Dude, did you even read what I've been saying? I'm not trying to justify anything. I've just been stating facts and pretty much agreeing with you in terms of what they've been doing to the size of some of the figures.

I'm just not agreeing that you can just arbitrarily say a figure is or is not of a size class based on what you think instead of how it's officially labelled on the package, especially when you're comparing prices from today vs prices in the past.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #39
protoform_ironhide
Commander

This is nothing. It's supply & demand. I am guessing with less demand after Toys R Us closed down worldwide, supplies is probably less which will continue drive up the toys' price. Also the new generation nowadays don't even play toys unlike our generation. By next year, maybe a deluxe will cost 33-35 dollars.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #40
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
OK can either of you tell me the specific point where a figure is allowed to be called a deluxe and when it's not? I really didn't know there were specific and not just arbitrary rules to this outside of what it says on the packaging.

Is it height, parts count, girth?

I'm just not agreeing that you can just arbitrarily say a figure is or is not of a size class based on what you think instead of how it's officially labelled on the package, especially when you're comparing prices from today vs prices in the past.
The problem is that what you're not agreeing on, is what we are saying all along... if Hasbro labels anything at whatever level they feel like, we are at their "mercy" for that, BUT when you have one series that Deluxe means not small but still very low in design and such, on a bubble card and sells for 15-20$, then another series they go with fancy box, higher design but yet still call it a Deluxe... the lines are very blurred.

I never agreed with any of these "classes" when they started because of exactly this scenario...

Do you consider a Deluxe Siege to be the equivalent of a Deluxe Cyberverse, which at this point appears to be universally regarded as crappy as hell and possible one of the worse lines ever done? Oh wait, Cyberverse figures were given a new class system, so the deluxe are called "Warrior" class and selling at 20$

So let's take POTP or CW Deluxes then to be more "even" .. and again, those were 20$.

And for that Wing Megatron
Original (15-20$): https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Generat...W_megatron.jpg

Re-release (29$): https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TF-TLK-...s-Megatron.jpg

It's a question of if Hasbro was to start charging 30$ for a 3 inch tall figure simply because they rate is as a "deluxe"... when does it stop being acceptable?

Once upon a time, we had the standard size that are now called deluxe. We also had the minis, and the larger ones and pricing was very flexible according to the size and type.

When they went with these classes, it removed this flexibility and they can put any figure in whatever class they want and then rewrite the pricing on such class. It does not follow inflation rates, it is simply a financial decision to see if they'll sell at inflated prices...

And that's been part of this discussion... anyone that likes and wants the figures are at the mercy of either buying then at these inflated prices, or end up having to deal with even higher prices from scalpers and such...

So for your question about "who decides" or "officially classified" is the problem... I wouldn't rate a lot of figures as actually "Deluxe" just over their size, otherwise, then that would re-enforce what we're saying, that if they want to classify the figures as deluxes, then don't have some deluxes at 15-20$ and others at 30$....Set a price for a class and stick to it (and don't make it overpriced).

Between the POTP and CW and the Siege, the big difference for me is that the Siege does have much better plastic, which is ridiculous, as they need to stop going with the cheaper plastic for all of their figures, this should be a given. But is that worth 10$ more? not really, it should be more a question that the "cheaper" POTP and CW should have been better plastic in the first place. Did I get them even with the 10$ increase? Yes I did as I did want the figures, I just find that I did pay more than I should (especially the Leaders).

Last edited by imfallenangel; 01-16-2019 at 01:05 PM.