Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #51
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: If you think the Siege Deluxe at $29.99 is absurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
First, I've been collecting probably longer than many here have been alive, and I remember and even have boxes or cards with the price tags, and I used a few references to prices, with inflation and such rates applied, so instead of making comments to disparage me, I'd rather you make valid points.
So what? This maybe true. It maybe not. Age does not grant one automatic wisdom or knowledge. That's earned.

I'm not disparaging you. I'm pointing out the problems with your stance on things and the things you've stated as fact.

Just so we can be clear on thing, because the waters are kind of muddied here, what point are you trying to make?

You point to your price tags. I point to this forum's hundreds of pages of sightings posts from different areas of the country that state exactly how much something was at a specific date.

Are you saying those postings are wrong?

Quote:
Two, providing examples of various figures set at Deluxe that are not close to being similar in quality is far from arbitrary but fact. More so when you have the exact same figure in two series but with a 50% increase in price tag.
So, it's the same figure being sold at different prices. Again, I ask what point are you trying to make here?

Quote:
I'm happy for you that you are amused, but the reality is that as a collector, I do like the Siege line enough to want it, though I do find it overpriced... According to you and your peers, somehow, I shouldn't be allowed to state that I find them overpriced because I bought them regardless?
I'm not saying this, but you have to realize buying figures that are in your eyes overpriced and then complaining about not just mildly, but getting upset about it, it is a self inflicted wound.

It's like people who've watched all the Michael bay transformers movies and write pages and pages of posts on each, whining about how how he rapes their childhood every time they watch one and how each is a waste of time and money.

The simple solution is to not watch the movies. Problem solved.

Quote:
Let's see what the options are, when you are a collector, see something that you do want and:

Buy it at the regular price if you find the figure or...

hope for a sale and run the risk that it will be gone, poached or due the low stock... And then what?

1) you just don't manage to get it, which sucks
2) you find it at scalpers prices
3) you wait and hope that new stock show up somewhere at acceptable prices.

So LOTs of risk, large gamble, etc.

I hesitated on some figures before and never saw them again... So yeah I'm now paranoid.
You forgot option 4. Wait as long as it takes for you find it at a whatever price you find is reasonable. So what, you may miss out on, according to you some "children's toys." Is that like the end of the world? No.

There are plenty of TFs that I want that are too expensive for me to comfortably drop money on, so I live without them. You live within your means.

When Beast Wars was around, I never found Transmetal 2 Blackarachnia on the toy shelf. The first time I saw her was in a comic shop a couple of years later, and she was $80 MISB. Her retail price was I believe $20. I didn't buy her. Though I could afford her, I decided she was too expensive. I was not going to pay that price. Same situation when I saw here on eBay a few years later.

So I made peace with the fact that I was probably never going to own a TM2 Blackarachnia. Then about 10 years later, I walk into a collectibles store to browse their loose transformers, and guess what's sitting in the case, TM2 Blackarachnia for $40. That was a price I thought was reasonable, and it was a price I was willing to pay, so I got her. It took a while but hey. Sometime the best things in life are worth waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
Please note that I'm not happy with prices increasing, I don't agree with what Hasbro/the toy industry is doing, and I would prefer to live in a world where everything is free for everyone. But reality is Black Widow and Ryu for $29.99.
Yep. I want to live in that world too.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #52
Ras
Generation 1

I was a hardcore Star Wars Black series collector. Prices went up in a similar fashion and I had complaints about the quality of the figures at the time. As a result I stopped buying and actually sold my entire collection.

From TF, I have some masterpiece, but mostly got them from reasonable prices on sale. But had to stop buying those because of the very high cost. What I always liked about transformer general retail releases were they were great toys, mostly available on shelves, and the value cost was was there. With siege, the main benefits are there (its a very interesting line) but the prices are higher than my comfort factor. So, I have kept my budget the same and this means i wait for sales, and take the chance on missing some figures I won’t find on sale before their gone. I have decided to be ok with this. Do I wish the figure were a bit cheaper so I could buy more? Sure, but at the same time I want the quality and design to be great. So I will buy what I am comfortable with, but less, and support the line as I am able without putting myself out.

I have a similar issue with smart phones. They are all very expensive to me, so I am using a 4 year old phone and thing to get max value. In general I’d say it’s a tough time to be a Canadiian consumer. The dollar compared to the US bakes in a nasty 35% ish loss just on currency conversion. The currency game my help some tycoons, but gives the average consumer a big ol headache.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #53
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

All I want to say is, yes, we don’t like the new prices on Siege but looking at that 3.75” (sorry I said 6” in my original post) Ryu & Black Widow set, a crappy figures set IMHO, a deluxe Siege anything is bad but not that bad. At least I have a lot of fun with my Cog.

I guess toys/collectibles prices are on the upward swing. Even third party stuffs are getting a lot more expensive same with the official MPs. Too bad my paycheck is not. I guess I will have to pick and choose what to buy, where to buy and when to buy a bit more careful these days. I don’t expect things to be free or prices stay the same over the years, but it sounds like I will have to buy less when the jump in price is so huge percentage-wise.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #54
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Ok, I'm calling you naive. Tr shelves are always full of too much stuff that isn't moving.
That's fair, but hasn't been my experience. TF's fly off the shelves around here like hotcakes, sale or no sale, people are buying these things. If I wanted to pick up POTP Dinobots right now, I wouldn't be able to find a set, and those are a year and a bit old. Hell even Abominus would be hard to find all the parts for. Figures that are rarer or have weird distributions (IE POTP Wreck-Gar), you'll never see without making a deliberate effort to find them. If something comes shortpacked, you've gotta be more than on the ball to find one at retail. Maybe that's just Calgary, idk, I don't claim to be able to speak to the state of TF trends in other cities, but it's pretty cutthroat out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
From TF, I have some masterpiece, but mostly got them from reasonable prices on sale. But had to stop buying those because of the very high cost. What I always liked about transformer general retail releases were they were great toys, mostly available on shelves, and the value cost was was there. With siege, the main benefits are there (its a very interesting line) but the prices are higher than my comfort factor. So, I have kept my budget the same and this means i wait for sales, and take the chance on missing some figures I won’t find on sale before their gone. I have decided to be ok with this. Do I wish the figure were a bit cheaper so I could buy more? Sure, but at the same time I want the quality and design to be great. So I will buy what I am comfortable with, but less, and support the line as I am able without putting myself out.
Agreed 100%. A fun hobby should remain a fun hobby, if it becomes a financial burden, or an obstacle, or just plain undesirable/unpalatable, cut back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
All I want to say is, yes, we don’t like the new prices on Siege but looking at that 3.75” (sorry I said 6” in my original post) Ryu & Black Widow set, a crappy figures set IMHO, a deluxe Siege anything is bad but not that bad. At least I have a lot of fun with my Cog.

I guess toys/collectibles prices are on the upward swing. Even third party stuffs are getting a lot more expensive same with the official MPs. Too bad my paycheck is not. I guess I will have to pick and choose what to buy, where to buy and when to buy a bit more careful these days. I don’t expect things to be free or prices stay the same over the years, but it sounds like I will have to buy less when the jump in price is so huge percentage-wise.
Yep absolutely. Sorry didn't mean to derail. Two 3.75"s for $30 is bonkers. Makes me glad I'm not a superhero guy. And although Cog is, IMO, a turd, I'm glad he exists, and I'm happy to have one, and I had fun with it, but goddamn for $30 they could have at least put a joint in the rotate the shoulder from side to front so you didn't have to partsform his arms a centimeter away from their position.

And yes that seems to be the unfortunate truth, either "buy less" or "increase your budget", which, given the state of our economy, increasing isn't a great choice for most people. It's not a great time to be a toy fan.