Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #21
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha
Re: RIP Future Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Most household technology today is cheap and will not stand the test of time. Look at TVs for example. These flat screens don't last long at all. Tube TVs are still the best built. Unfortunately they are bulky and less energy efficient. Both my tube TVs lasted over 20 years each! My Sony WEGA is still going. Vacuums...don't get me started...
Depends on the manufacturer of the vacuum. Miele is the best. Yes they are expensive with price starting at $450 and could cost upward $1500. But I've had my Miele vacuum for over 5 years and it works like I just bought it yesterday. All made in Germany. Dyson and all the cool looking bagless vacuum are just cool looking but they don't last. Dyson's products are completely overrated.

As for the extended warranty,. It's not just pure profit for the company but commission for the sales people. FS sales people makes more on selling the PSP (Product Service Plan) than on the products. The sales managers are constantly hammering the sales people for pushing PSP.

Also as mentioned I used be a Canon rep for FS. Because FS sales people are on commission/spiff, they will only push brands that pays them more manufacturer spiff instead of the right products for the customers. Every time I went to a store, every sale person was pushing HP to the customer because HP paid FS more spiff than Canon, even though Canon makes far superior products. Same goes to how FS pushed Samsung TV in instead of Sony, Toshiba or Sharp TV. (This was before Samsung became the monster it is now and it shows how they took over Sony and other Japanese giants. They spiffed (bribed?) sales people to sell their products , where as Japanese thought their superior products would sell themselves)

But what goes around comes around. It's bad for the average working people. But honestly the writing was on the wall everywhere. I know someone who got laid off from BB/FS head office last year. He told me the company morale was extremely low. People went to work hoping to be let go, only so they could get a severance package instead of getting nothing if they chose to quit. In the store front it's been dead quiet for a long time.

I won't miss it at all.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #22
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Most household technology today is cheap and will not stand the test of time. Look at TVs for example. These flat screens don't last long at all. Tube TVs are still the best built. Unfortunately they are bulky and less energy efficient. Both my tube TVs lasted over 20 years each! My Sony WEGA is still going. Vacuums...don't get me started...
Yeah, from my experience 5 years is the life span for a lot of electronics. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

But right now I have a 10 year old laptop and a 8 year old desktop that still run fine. Obviously they're not my primary machines any more, but they still have their uses.

At any rate, these short life spans for electronics isn't good. All our first world crap gets shipped off to third world electronic dumps.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:24 AM   #23
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if The Source is the next to go.
They already closed down a bunch of stores.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #24
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail.../3/future-shop
Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #25
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
I just found this funny and sad...

Zellers
Essentially dead, but has a couple of locations still open as a liquidator for Hudson’s Bay and Home Outfitters. Ironically, Zellers may actually outlive Target Canada.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote