Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #31
timcrook
Cybertron
Talking Re: How much for a MP collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Yes, they never stopped.
On the rare times I buy misb on the secondary market, I say to myself, thanks for keeping these toys in storage for me
Old 08-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #32
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style
Re: How much for a MP collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Do people actually buy figures as an investment still?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Yes, they never stopped.

G1 Jazz cost $9.96 in 84,

Based on todays min wage he would be roughly $33.00

Ebay value 59.00 - 199.00 with box

1984 min wage 3.60 today = $10.40

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #33
elburrito
Animated

I see it that way too. MISB collectors do us all a favour by preserving toys for the rest of us to buy and open down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
On the rare times I buy misb on the secondary market, I say to myself, thanks for keeping these toys in storage for me

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #34
Msol
Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
G1 Jazz cost $9.96 in 84,

Based on todays min wage he would be roughly $33.00

Ebay value 59.00 - 199.00 with box

1984 min wage 3.60 today = $10.40
Yeah but that's before collectors starting buying MISB allll the time. I can buy MOSC RID Car Brothers for $20 at my local shop, and BW MOSC for about retail on eBay.

Think about how many 80s toylines are worth nothing even MISB. TF collectors in the 80s just got lucky.

$10 invested in the stock market (let's say the Dow Jones) would be worth over $130 today.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:16 AM   #35
CanBot
Cybertron

TFs as investments...just not a good idea, but people are free to do what they want. People should have been doing the MISB thing in the 80s, really...they had all the reason to. Look at comics from that era: Marvel was having that 80s boom, but by mid decade people were collecting and everybody was hording...so the value of those comics just aren't what they were previously, say from the 60s. But toys?...you could have made a nice penny on MISB that you bought and stored away in an attic for 30 years. But even still, the returns probably wouldn't have been that great. Maybe finance a trip for two to Hawaii, but that's about it. A different story with the post G2 stuff, obviously.

If you could turn your vintage MISB Transformers collection into a retirement plan, then that might be worthwhile. But what happens is collectors get bored far earlier than that, and sell for relatively little. Just like stocks you've gotta be in for the long haul.

It would be interesting to see how much 2 grand spent on TFs back in 84 to 86 would translate into today's dollars, with inflation.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #36
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
TFs as investments...just not a good idea, but people are free to do what they want. People should have been doing the MISB thing in the 80s, really...they had all the reason to. Look at comics from that era: Marvel was having that 80s boom, but by mid decade people were collecting and everybody was hording...so the value of those comics just aren't what they were previously, say from the 60s. But toys?...you could have made a nice penny on MISB that you bought and stored away in an attic for 30 years. But even still, the returns probably wouldn't have been that great. Maybe finance a trip for two to Hawaii, but that's about it. A different story with the post G2 stuff, obviously.

If you could turn your vintage MISB Transformers collection into a retirement plan, then that might be worthwhile. But what happens is collectors get bored far earlier than that, and sell for relatively little. Just like stocks you've gotta be in for the long haul.

It would be interesting to see how much 2 grand spent on TFs back in 84 to 86 would translate into today's dollars, with inflation.
I have often wondered what's more valuable? Being a kid and wearing the labels off all my G1 stuff or if I had just put them away MISB till now.

I came to the conclusion that my childhood cost me a sweet Corvette today, but ah what the hell. I just need to get a Corvette.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:16 AM   #37
CanBot
Cybertron

So a new Corvette today costs, what, let's say around 90 grand CDN?...taxes in, all that? I just don't see how a childhood collection of typical G1s could net that kinda money. Even if it was all MISB, you'll need multiples of items to get up into that range of prices...and of course, finding the right seller. But with MISB, it would be relatively easy to tell if it's real or not.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but just wondering out loud.