Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Pgianos
Banned
Objectivity of You Tube Reviewers?

Since the explosion of tf popularity thanks to the movies and 80s kids with disposable income combined with the Internet there has become a new avenue of the layperson to make money reviewing these toys. Initially it was great bc it was just that someone you can relate too telling us showing us their stuff.

But now I'm tuning reviews out like optibotimus and others bc they review the figure that was given to them to review (which they may or may not mention) then
At the end will say if u like this toy click here etc....

Now I'm not saying they are not objective anymore but when you do not disclose your conflicts of interest like they do in most fields when giving a lecture it raises the suspicion that they are not being truthful.

If they started each review with like academics do when they give a talk "I've been paid by Bayer or GSK to give this talk" or for them by bbts or tf source I was given this for free or they paid me x amounts to do this then I might be able to take what they say with a grain of salt. Till then ill stick to reviews from amateurs.

Just my 2 cents or prob less lol
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician
Re: Objectivity of You Tube Reviewers?

I think at one point or another most of us that watch reviews of Tf's have asked ourselves is this the reviewers honest opinion or are they just being bias as they have been compensated in some way or another
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

meh, turn the sound off, and just watch the figure, i've seen peaugh mention that certain toys were shit before lol, not often, but it does happen

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Yeah, I'm kind of sick and tired of all these "YouTube TF reviewer celebrities" who get free toys because they're popular and have a lot subscribers. You don't get any honest opinions out of them because they're all like, "Oh, look what I got! I was sent this very expensive 3rd party figure to review before anyone else gets their hands on it! Isn't it just the best toy ever?! You should all be jealous of me and run out and order it from (insert online store) right now! Check the link in the description! And don't forget to like, comment, and subscribe!" I'm fucking sick of it. And chances are that they aren't giving you a totally honest review. The toy could be shit and they'd still give it a A+ just so they can get more free toys.

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 08-12-2013 at 08:35 PM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Not really, but then again I can't be bothered watching someone review a toy online. I come to these type of boards for the info I want.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Even though some might not come out and say "this toy is shit" you can usually tell which ones they're being lukewarm about, and trying desperately to find compliments (i.e. "the plastic feels better than their previous releases") versus the ones they are really excited about.

They might couch their language a bit, but I don't think they're anything less than truthful.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

I only watch Peaugh and I trust what he has to say. He is not afraid to list all the negatives about each figure and lets you decide for yourself.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Not really, but then again I can't be bothered watching someone review a toy online. I come to these type of boards for the info I want.
I can't stand all the wasted time messing around on the YT the toy reviews. The text reviews on sites like this are better for me. They tend to be more concise, and often have photos to go along with the text. I can't honestly say that a YT toy review has moved me favourably toward a toy, whereas some text reviews have.

Reading isn't THAT hard, is it?
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Rev
Addict

I miss text and picture reviews. I find a lot of the YouTube reviews filled with annoying intros and overwhelming positivity to be tiresome. Sometimes less is more.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

The whole point of video reviews was to showcase a figure or toy, tell the audience if this figure is meant for them or not. Now every review is like "Sure this figure might have flaws but hey! I recommend it, Ok? Ok." A lot of it just doesn't seem professional. The only few reviewers I watch is TJOmega, Vangelus, Peaugh, Emgo, and TypeV3.

EDIT: Also, how can I forget the god damn Protoman!

EDIT: Alsooo!!......Thew Adams

Last edited by FEZaid; 08-13-2013 at 01:32 AM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote