Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #51
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Is new pricing keeping you away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
I went everywhere looking hir that $50 discount Skylinx and never found it. I'm glad I did get it from Walmart when I found him even though I paid $100.
Yah, I think I got mine for 90-100 or so. Jetfire might have been 80 on Amazon.

It's definitely true that the largest classes tend to go on good sales.

At the same time, you risk missing out entirely waiting for that "unbelievable deal."

I don't think you ever need to pay MSRP for a Commander/Titan, but holding out for half-price or lower is a fool's errand. Fine if you can live without the piece, but silly if you really want it.

Also Sky-Lynx and Jetfire both rocked.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:48 PM   #52
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
No I'm not. I was driven away by the old price hike 2 years ago already.

This is my answer, I picked up maybe 2 things in the last 2 years with no plans to really get anything else.

I find it sad, since of course now that Im not buying the local WM is full of stuff I would have loved to picked up 2+ years ago. But, not now with the prices as they are.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #53
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

I was at Walmart today and a mother was looking for a figure for her son. And she says to me these are really expensive. She ended up getting a cyberverse since it was on sale but man if regular collectors are questioning buying at msrp, its killing off the avg parent buying a random toy.
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #54
justprime
Animated

pricing ,lack of product, product that's a specific retailer with NO equal or representation here in Canada (thinking for example runabout )leaving insane pricing secondary market,QC issues, hollowed out toys for double the price at half the size,yup I'd say I have been out for a couple of years now and loosing interest fast only thing keeping me attuned is third party at this point....
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:40 PM   #55
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post
I was at Walmart today and a mother was looking for a figure for her son. And she says to me these are really expensive. She ended up getting a cyberverse since it was on sale but man if regular collectors are questioning buying at msrp, its killing off the avg parent buying a random toy.
Yes, this happened to me at Toys R Us a couple of weeks ago.

Little changes like this in the purchasing behaviour makes less kids being exposed to the brand, eventually those of us get old and die with no new fans to replace us.

Every country, religion, sport, brand, etc. needs the children!
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:00 PM   #56
Atomicgarden
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post
I remember, I was Christmas shopping at TRU and a man picked up leader Slag and told his wife : 72.99$ that?s impossible, it must be a mistake. Then his wife confirmed it was the real price and they laughed and just left it there. We are collectors, but these kinds of situations will happen more and more with parents.
Atomicgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #57
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicgarden View Post
I remember, I was Christmas shopping at TRU and a man picked up leader Slag and told his wife : 72.99$ that?s impossible, it must be a mistake. Then his wife confirmed it was the real price and they laughed and just left it there. We are collectors, but these kinds of situations will happen more and more with parents.
I liken the current trend to newspapers, or comics.

They trend older for a demographic, which is shrinking (ala action figures specifically), and they are facing competition from alternate media (video games, tablets, etc). So what do they do? Keep raising prices and shrinking the product. That has really worked out well for newspapers and comics, so of course it will work wonders for action figures.

I was stunned a couple weeks ago when my parents were visiting. They still get a daily newspaper, and when I picked one up for them it was almost $3!!!! That works out to almost $100 a month, if not more for the bigger weekend editions. I remember they were just a quarter when I was a kid.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:27 PM   #58
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
I liken the current trend to newspapers, or comics.

They trend older for a demographic, which is shrinking (ala action figures specifically), and they are facing competition from alternate media (video games, tablets, etc). So what do they do? Keep raising prices and shrinking the product. That has really worked out well for newspapers and comics, so of course it will work wonders for action figures.

I was stunned a couple weeks ago when my parents were visiting. They still get a daily newspaper, and when I picked one up for them it was almost $3!!!! That works out to almost $100 a month, if not more for the bigger weekend editions. I remember they were just a quarter when I was a kid.

THIS

ALL OF THIS

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #59
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

The new pricing has definitely moved me away from being a Hasbro fanboy. My entire collection used to be Transformers, Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, and Power Rangers. This last year saw a big chunk of my budget go to McFarlane Toys for the DC Multiverse line and to Mattel for Masters of the Universe stuff. While prices have gone up for everything only Hasbro has been hitting that increase button this hard. Hasbro had these lines on shelves at the end of 2019 for $29.99 and now here we are not even a full three years later and the average item is now around $35.99. I can buy a DC figure for $24.99 or a Masterverse MOTU figure for $29.99 still (though I have seen some stores price those at $32.99). Hasbro is very clearly using all the excuses they can (COVID, cost of shipping, etc.) to gouge and profit more off of their customers, while other companies have chosen to only raise their prices as needed. I will still grab a Hasbro product now and then (bless that Onyx GameStop discount and being able to pay off preorders over time), but they lost me as a hardcore customer.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:15 PM   #60
Powered Convoy

The cost of Buzzworthy Blue Silverstreak made me question this hobby
Powered Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote