Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions
Buying etiquette 101

I’ve noticed a stupid trend happening with buyers of TFs on the boards, and kijiji lately where they act like they’ve never purchased anything from a human being before and go about it like an alien trying to understand earth customs… As a frequent ebay/board/kijiji TF buyer I believe there’s a certain etiquette (I think I spelt that right) you should follow, so that you don’t make sellers lose all hope in humanity and its ability to survive as an intelligent species… I’d like to get others’ opinions to see how far off from the general mass opinion I am.

1. When you see posted prices you don’t respond to the ad with “So how low are you willing to go on this figure?”… Everytime I see this question I think to myself: Do they think I’m all of a sudden gonna fall over and reply with “ HAHAHA you got me!!! You’re a clever one, I know I asked for $20, but I was always secretly willing to go as low as $5… Couldn’t fool you though Matlock… Here why don’t I just give it to you for a handshake because I like the cut of your jib”. If I see a price for something and I want to pay less, I’ll propose an offer and see if the seller accepts…That’s the proper way to try to get a deal.

2. Don’t tell a seller that you can buy whatever they’re selling for the same price online then expect a discount… Oh you can buy MP Prowl (example) for $65 on ebay so you want mine for $60? Well…. Are you gonna fly to Hong Kong to pick it up? Is someone dropping it off at your house on the way home from a Japanese road trip? Oh… you have to PAY for shipping? So then really $65 really ends up being $85?... You’re right I should actually sell you mine for $55 because that’s such an injustice…

3. This one applies to local kijiji… WHY DO YOU THINK I’M GONNA DELIVER WHAT YOU’RE BUYING OFF ME TO YOUR HOUSE BECAUSE GAS IS TOO EXPENSIVE AND I LIVE TOO FAR?!?!?
I’ve had a disgustingly high number of people TELL me that I should either deliver the TFs onto them… because they’re obviously baby Jesus and I’m a Wiseman… OR… I should knock a couple bucks off because GAS IS OVER $1.00 A LITRE AND IT’LL COST ABOUT $10 WORTH TO GET ALL THE WAY TO MY PLACE…… AND BACK HOME!?!??! XD… I had the pleasure of having someone tell me that story on the phone so my ears could hear it, and give my hand the satisfaction of hanging up on them.
If you have no means of transportation then offer the person a little MORE money and see if they can drop it off for you. You know…. Like how Pizza Hut charges you for delivery as opposed to going there and getting it yourself?!?!? I think it’s a new concept that just started last year, it might catch on…

4. Going through all the steps of negotiating a deal, then when it’s time to pay, don’t tell the seller that you get paid at the end of the month so you’ll only be able to pay then… If you don’t have the money to spend right away, then save us both a lot of hassle and don’t bother shopping until you do. I understand you may not want to miss out on a deal, but if you go to Walmart to go buy some shoes, but don’t have money for the shoes… Guess what?!?!? You don’t leave Walmart with the damn shoes…. Apply the same logic here.
I’ve held onto deals where someone said they’d buy something but wouldn’t be able to pay for a couple weeks, so I took the item off my sales thread on their word… the day they said they’d pay came and went and no money was sent to me. After a PM I find out they found one cheaper and bought that one instead, but never said anything… because… who knows… This has happened multiples times (I no longer hold onto things while I wait for payment).
Contrary to what people think, it’s not your right to be able to buy everything at anytime just because it’s a great deal, it’s a privilege… that you shouldn’t have… if you don’t have the moneys…

5. Last one I can think of right now is: Read through a sales thread properly… like a person that can actually read all the words on the page... Don’t waste a seller’s time asking details about each item when it’s all spelled out in the thread.
Buyer: Does X have all the weapons?
Me: Yeah I said it’s sealed complete in my thread.
Buyer: How about instructions?
Me: It’s 100% complete dude, did you read the sales thread?
Buyer: What condition is it in?
Me: It’s sealed in the box… The thread contains all the secret answers you need (you don’t even need the codex).
Buyer: So how much was it again?
Me: … I hate the things you represent…

Those are the main situations that grind my gears when dealing with buyers. Anyone else have any others I may have missed? I know I’ve had a lot of other sellers that I talk to complain about the exact same things… It explodes the brain sometimes.

Last edited by chovner; 01-20-2014 at 01:21 PM.
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
blindsorcerer
Generation 1
Re: Buying etiquette 101

Some good points there , I like it.
blindsorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
CBII
Animated

I agree 100%

I know I post if you have questions ask....but when the answers are already posted for you but you're damn lazy to READ then well....

Asking for clarification is what I mean.

As chovner said it explodes the brain.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

agreed with most, except #2, 65 shipped from ebay is the going rate.

people do love to barter, there's not really a way to avoid that, but a way to avoid getting pissed about it is to "overprice" your items for more than you want for them. then you can "discount" them down to what you actually want for them. it makes it more psychological, but in the end, you get what you want for it.

continue on.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
agreed with most, except #2, 65 shipped from ebay is the going rate.

people do love to barter, there's not really a way to avoid that, but a way to avoid getting pissed about it is to "overprice" your items for more than you want for them. then you can "discount" them down to what you actually want for them. it makes it more psychological, but in the end, you get what you want for it.

continue on.
The MP prowl pricing was just a random example. I just noticed that actually being $65 shipped lessens my point lol.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Dangard Ace
Masterpiece

Agreed. Hate buyers that ask for a ton of photos and then flake out because shippings too high. I gave you my postal code, you have your postal code, size of box and weight and CanPost shipping calculator. If you're not going to buy don't f'ing ask. I've some guys I don't even bother looking at their PM's.

Also pissed off at some people that ask that I pick something up for them that I spotted in the Sightings thread but then they stall and go and get it somewhere else a few days later. They then say "oh, just return it. You'll get your money back." Excuse me? I did you a favor, wasted my time/gas/held up my money to help you out and you do this? Again not helping these people ever again.
Dangard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangard Ace View Post
Agreed. Hate buyers that ask for a ton of photos and then flake out because shippings too high. I gave you my postal code, you have your postal code, size of box and weight and CanPost shipping calculator. If you're not going to buy don't f'ing ask. I've some guys I don't even bother looking at their PM's.

Also pissed off at some people that ask that I pick something up for them that I spotted in the Sightings thread but then they stall and go and get it somewhere else a few days later. They then say "oh, just return it. You'll get your money back." Excuse me? I did you a favor, wasted my time/gas/held up my money to help you out and you do this? Again not helping these people ever again.
Oh... Never had that happen... I'd be pissed...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
CBII
Animated

That's why I don't pick stuff up for people anymore. Sadly the community is hardly holding together because of shit head things like that and those listed by chovner
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Wow these are all very good points, I like My biggest gripe is those that don't follow through on a purchase and weasel their way out or don't bother responding when they find something cheaper, etc.

As Danguard Ace mentions, about the flaky buyers, we should create a list of people to avoid and post for all to see
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

Yeah I'd like a "Don't buy from this person" exclusive thread lol. But that would quickly de-generate into a list of every member here, some legit, some out of spite...