Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Sting Rose
Robot Heroes Addict
Age of Adaptations

While they've never been entirely non-existent, movie adaptations of various other media have been especially prevalent in recent years. It's just the thing the to do these days, it seems.

I think that sometimes--sometimes--they can be cop-outs for the creative team, sparing them from actually having to come up with original material on their own. Not to mention by adapting anything popular, they've almost guaranteed an audience without having to work much at all to generate a buzz beyond pimping the name. Like, "Hey, XYZ is being made into a movie, and you should see it just because it's XYZ!"

But, but I'm not saying adaptations are inherently bad; it just depends on the execution. Just because it's something established, doesn't mean nothing new can be done with it. And, in fact, I think that's when writers reaaaally have to pull it together to make something new and their own of a series while staying true to it.

Feel free to discuss things you wanna see on the big screen, movies that have had you up in arms with how horrible you thought they were, favourites, and others that have genuinely surprised you as to how well they were done--or not. Go nuts! Also, feel free to consider ways that they might impact people. A personal example, I'm getting a hella more interested into older Star Trek stuff after watching the new movie.

I realize that movie discussion is a lot like politics, religion, and music for some people: srs bznss. But be respectful of other's opinions; not everybody thinks that X3 was horrible (...pfft haha, okay, for real, I'm sure some people somewhere don't). If worst comes to worst, just agree to disagree.

Addendum: Everything also seems to be getting a sequel too, these days. Means of cashing out, or expanding the universe? Where, how and in which movies? Which movies should get them, which have too many? Discuss to your heart's content! XD
Robot Heroes! Snarl and Sharkticon, Optimus and Barricade
Last buy: HFTD!Jetblade and Ironhide
Dream toys: 07 Black Japan exclusive, the Wonderfest exclusive, and the Battle Damaged versions of Arcee ones*sigh*
Sting Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
onecoin
Banned
Re: Age of Adaptations

That's what the boards are for. Nice to be reminded once in a while.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Beechy
The Veteran.

Beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Prime_Pessimus

Our parents kept on telling us that the 60's were cool.

Our uncles and aunts kept on telling us that the 70's were cool.

We as kids (at least me) always thought the 80's were cool...

NOW it's TRUE. The 80's were COOL!

Love the remakes and the rehashes.

"When you go/live through life... what is most valuable and cherished are: memories of youth."

... hold onto them however which way you can.

Last edited by Prime_Pessimus; 06-22-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: life comes with a edit button
Prime_Pessimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
spikeville
Send a message via ICQ to spikeville
Age of Adaptations

I have read in business articles that the prime demographic is becoming narrower and younger. I also find it hard to believe that there is no market for a film about 13-14 year olds. Maybe its time for a more imaginative agent.Thanks for telling us about your adaptations of fairytales, by the way. I think they are the coolest things ever and I love to see people using them in innovative ways.Is there anywhere to view any of you work, bman08?