Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
cr3d1t
Beast Machine
Pain and frustration with Dinobot upgrade kits (PE & TCW)

TFCon Toronto 2018 I bought the Perfect Effect PC-21 Volcanicus upgrade kit. The kit cost 50$. I actually wanted the TCW Dreamwave kit which had many more parts but it wasn't available yet. So I picked it up. Got back home and installed it. Not bad, I thought. The feet was a little stiff to put on but I didn't think it was a problem. Later on I find out that when I put the feet on I actually cracked the connection port on Sludge and Slug because the PE feet pegs are too big. I was not happy.

So this week I made some money selling TFs and thought I'd splurge on finally getting the TCW-06 Dreamwave kit. I loved their Superion kit. Bought it for 85$ with 15$ shipping from Mad Haus Toys. Shipping was pretty fast. When I got the kit I couldn't believe how many parts there were inside, plus an extra set of swords and guns molded in black. So much value! Unfortunately once I started adding the parts to Volcanicus I had a really hard time. I really struggled with getting the front chest plate to click in properly and the butt plate I felt was almost impossible to install. I got really frustrated. Then I see that the pegs on the hands are too big for the ports on Swoop and Snarl. I mean come on. I can't install them without feeling like I'm going to crack another set of ports. And now, since Sludge and Slug's ports are severely weakened, the feet don't hold well and Volcanicus topples over. Plus the feet don't hold together well like the Superion kit and don't lay flat, which adds to the imbalance. I've tested the feet with other combiners and it feels like the ports are too big as well. I can't install them without feeling I have to force it.

It kinda feels like I've wasted my money. 150$ and I've got broken Transformers and kits that don't work right. I've really soured on the whole thing.

Last edited by cr3d1t; 08-30-2018 at 09:37 PM.
cr3d1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave
Re: Pain and frustration with Dinobot upgrade kits (PE & TCW)

this is making me not want to finish a project where I need to buy one of those kits.
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
lifedragon99
Beasty

Damn, I've been waiting for this to come out. Still hasn't shipped the one I preordered from Ages3andUp. Unfortunate to hear the Dreamwave set isn't good/
lifedragon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:21 AM   #4
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Have you thought about sanding down the pegs so they're not so tight. You shouldn't have to do this with such an expensive item, but if it's a choice between damaging the kit or the figure, I say damage the kit a little.

Also, have you tried a few dabs of super glue on the weakened peg holes to reinforce them so they don't get any worse. If the peg holes are now too big, try some clear nail polish to tighten them up.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Just buy a KO POTP dino set and installed the upgrade kit, and leave the Hasbro one for dino mode.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
cr3d1t
Beast Machine

Or I could just buy a new Slag and Sludge. Seems cheaper, even if it’s another hit to the wallet.

Messed around with the smaller accessories. Swords and guns fit okay, but Swoop’s missile pods don’t fit in the slots on the wings. The tabs are too big. I’ll have to shave/sand them.

If sanding a tab or peg, is coarse or fine grain better?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
JonoPrime
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr3d1t View Post
Or I could just buy a new Slag and Sludge. Seems cheaper, even if it’s another hit to the wallet.

Messed around with the smaller accessories. Swords and guns fit okay, but Swoop’s missile pods don’t fit in the slots on the wings. The tabs are too big. I’ll have to shave/sand them.

If sanding a tab or peg, is coarse or fine grain better?
Id start with a finer grain and give it a go. That way you dont take off too much plastic. And if its not quite doing the job, Id slightly up to a coarser grain and see how that works out. ... Worse case you take off too much of the plastic you could always dab the area with either some instant glue/clear nail polish/Future floor polish to thicken it back up.
JonoPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
predahank
Storing is hoarding

reading on tfw, this seems to be a common problem so at least you know it's a design flaw rather than you getting a bad copy. It probably doesn't make you any happier but best of luck on the fix
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Dangard Ace
Alternator

Sorry this happened to you but I greatly appreciate the review. I really didn't want to drop $150 to "fix up" this new version of Dinobots and this confirmed my "no" decision was the right one. No 3P upgrades set for me.
Dangard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
BludChylde
Generation 2

I was considering getting one of the upgrade after I finally get my hands on Sludge and Snarl.

Having no experience with the party upgrade kits, I'm thinking I'll either pass or get the TCW one just for the weapons.
BludChylde is offline   Reply With Quote