Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
Newb here, hello!

So I didn't even realize there was such a Transformers website for Canadians; cool! I have a bunch of questions that I hope some of you guys will be able to answer...lots, but not all at once of course.

I'm a fan from the G1 days and have been bitten by the 'get the stuff you wanted when you were a kid' bug a few years ago. My collection isn't very large, nor will it ever be (I hope!), but it includes the stuff I had as a kid and some other stuff along the way.

My collection so far has some reissues: a TRU exclusive set of the three Insecticons, a recent pickup of the G1 'cartoon colour' Devastator set from Takara (waiting for this for a long time, too bad it wasn't released in Canada...or was it? Things I don't know!), and almost every leader-class figure from the Bayformers movies. I started with the main figures from RoTF, and I've picked up one of each guy since then along the way. I don't have duplicates or different colours, just the main dudes (Optimus, Megatron...ok, I'll list em': Jetfire, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Skyscream) I also have an RoTF Ultimate Bumblebee and Ultimate Devastator...along with an Ultimate Optimus (with the trailer) and two versions of Unicron (I'd like to sell my Armada Unicron at some point, perhaps somebody here?).

If I forgot a figure, oh well, I'm old, what can I say! I've had a tough time with what to collect...first it started with my kid stuff, then I saw the RoTF Leader Class bots and I was like, this is coooool...and then I figured I'll stick with the Leaders and the other 'big' stuff (Ultimates, that kinda thing).

For the longest time, I thought they wouldn't release Devastator again...yet Takara did, so that's great. I still remember the Sears catalog from 86 that had the gift pack...my Mom returned it (doh!) when I changed my mind and said I wanted the Insecticons!...still a cool choice but the only Constructicon I had back then was Hook, so getting this version is really cool. I had some issues with shipping from Hong Kong, the box is a bit crunched but they gave me a discount so I'm ok for now.

I'm sure some of you guys have the same background for collecting as me, and I dig reading about the history of those who collect. After I picked up the Insecticons and Soundwave (whoops, I have him too: a TRU I think, came with four tapes...really nice), then I stupidly thought I'd maybe collect the leaders, other important bots from the first cartoon. That ended with a purchase of an Optimus Prime reissue on ebay: the colour wasn't as red as I remembered, a sticker was a bit messed up on the trailer...it ended up as a gift for my nephew in the end And with that I decided to stop any OCD tendencies from sprouting up and collecting bots I have no past connection with from childhood. Although sure, it would be cool to have it all!...

As I love the Sunbow cartoon, I really REALLY like the whole Takara Masterpiece bots...they are awesome, but so expensive that I doubt I'll ever try to get in the race. I almost pulled the trigger on a Megatron, back when it was priced reasonably, but then I knew that would lead me to try to get it all...and that's tooo much stuuuuuff! LOL!

I also went through a phase where I was going to sell off my Leader class movie bots...I was kinda hoping that the movies would end so I wouldn't have to keep up with them, lol! I'm missing Brawl from the first movie, and Sentinel Prime from DotM (for some reason I could NOT find him; took a while just to track down Ironhide!...ebay, I guess will be the last resort).

I've lurked for years on other bot sites, but now I think I'll give this place a shot. I'm not a huge collector by any means, but if I can get some info so I can track down some items as well as get info for future purchases (as well as issues and problems), then I hope so too. I've already read up on some stuff about Metroplex (mine's coming from Sears in a week, I hope the box doesn't get too beat up along the way) and I have questions about something I stupidly missed in the stores this year...the Predaking boxed set! I saw the Prime reprint at a TRU, but no Predaking until now.

As it stands I'll post another much smaller thread about the bots I'm looking for, and the best way to get a hold of them. I hope I can offer some help as well, and maybe once I get to know how it works, sell or trade some of my doubles to complete my collection.

So hello! This talk of Metroplex showing up in Costco is going to be trouble, lol!...here's my latest favorite video on youtube on the subject of Metroplex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Corm-LP9-g
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Buhawi
Ang Alamat
Re: Newb here, hello!

I'm hoping to see Metroplex at Winners.

Welcome to cybertron.ca
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

Welcome and enjoy.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Rev
Addict

Welcome. My advice is take it slow and get only what you really want. Secondly, always shop for sales and deals. Makes the hobby much easier on your bank account.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

I only started (re)collecting about 6 months ago. I had no idea what I wanted to collect. For me, I just wanted what I used to own or wished I owned, and that was a few G1 figures from my youth. But slowly that has grown to a couple other genres.

There is just so much out there, it can get overwhelming. My advice is to write down a list of what you want and prioritize it. Otherwise, you will see all your money disappear pretty fast on things you didn't really need.

As for the masterpiece line. It is definitely nice. Unfortunately for me, I got into it too late and all the best MPs like Grimlock, Prime, Starscream, etc were already released and are now at scalpers prices. Just make sure to hop on any new early bird pricing from Japan as the new MPs come out. It will save you a ton.
Good luck with your collection and welcome
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

Buy everything... don't send the kids to college...
Welcome... you said you were old, how old exactly? If you don't mind me asking.
I also have a '07 Movie Leader Brawl 99% complete for sale if you're interested ...

WELCOME!!!!! *apologizes to CanBot's wallet
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

Canbot, be very careful when venturing into the world of third party figures. They are great but cost a lot.

And if you are going for 3P (third party) combiners, stay away from TFC
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Markusmaxmus
Beasty
Markusmaxmus's Ebay Auctions

Welcome and fight for the toy's you wont even if you have too push a 7 year old over to get the Optimus Prime.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
mAk
Machine War

Welcome CanBot! G1 Transformers and the G1 cartoon were my tqo favorite childhood memories, then the Michael Bay movies came out and ruined it for me But then I discovered the CHUG lines and other stuff last spring and got back into collecting and met some pretty local collectors along the way in a short amount of time. My wife supports my Transformers habit as long as they stay in my office, lol.

Last edited by mAk; 10-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.
mAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
mastereh
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transbot90210 View Post
Canbot, be very careful when venturing into the world of third party figures. They are great but cost a lot.

And if you are going for 3P (third party) combiners, stay away from TFC
Hi I'm a new member too; why do you suggest to stay away from TFC? They've got some great looking combiners out.
mastereh is offline   Reply With Quote