Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
carissa
Energon
Re: Where can I buy Autobot symbol stickers for Smart Robin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflector View Post
That's........weird. So they're taking one figure and filing the stickers for it under the name of a separate figure. That doesn't make any sense, if people want stickers for Smart Robin, they're going to go there looking for Smart Robin. Not Brain Storm. They almost lost a customer because of their weird naming convention.
Pffft ... I can almost never remember the correct names for my 3P stuff. I usually call it stuff like Mech Ideas Twin Twist and Top Spin. Or whoever I have in hand. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to remember which company made the 3P.

Your Smart Robin guy is basically FP Brainstorm. It's unfortunately the 3Ps that have the weird naming conventions due to trademarks/copyrights.
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
Cronosabre
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullray View Post
I find this a double edge sword. In one sense I call them their classic names but when different companies making their own version of single figures it is easier to associate things with the bot I purchased for accessories. Could I be getting a Toyworld sticker set or Fans Project sticker set? No guess work would be nice.
I agree with you completely and think that they should be labeled under both names on their website (Official Product name first and G1 character name in brackets). I haven't tried looking yet but how do they distinguish between different 3rd party figures of the same character? Like you said FP Smart Robin and Toyworld Brianwave is a good example.
Cronosabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #13
Reflector
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa View Post
Pffft ... I can almost never remember the correct names for my 3P stuff. I usually call it stuff like Mech Ideas Twin Twist and Top Spin. Or whoever I have in hand. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to remember which company made the 3P.

Your Smart Robin guy is basically FP Brainstorm. It's unfortunately the 3Ps that have the weird naming conventions due to trademarks/copyrights.
It all makes sense now. When I was at the Calgary Expo last week I was asking every table if they had Smart Robin or Quadruple U. They were like, "Who?" So I told them it's figures from Fansproject and they said, "What's that?"

Makes sense now. I guess I'm the only person that goes by the name on the box.
Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #14
BigBot79
G1 Fan

Interesting conversation!
For those unfamiliar with Reprolabels, they take a 3P figure like Smart Robin and create the sticker set to turn him into a G1 Brainstorm - that's why they call the sticker set Brainstorm. Way back in Alternator days before 3P stuff took off they used to create sticker sets to change official Hasbro figures into other G1 Transformers, if you check their legacy sets on the site you can see where they started this trend.

For anyone just wanting Autobot or Decepticon labels they sell those seperate in various sizes also.

I would think mostly the Transformer specific dealers and collectors are going to recognize 3P names, you are not the only one out there, go to something like TFcon and everyone will know what your talking about, just like on here.