Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #21
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: Violent Cartoons and Children

You know, its comforting to know that at least fighters in the fictional Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games never got into the performance enhancing drugs for their insanely ripped muscles and strength, unlike many real life professional athletes.

As for Barney and Friends, I have to admit that I never liked the series. It seemed to sugar coat everything to excess and was really lacking in dealing with anything that wasn't upbeat and perky.

But looking back, Barney was actually a really good show. It showed real life human beings interacting with each other on different levels, doing different activities, and everyone getting along together. There was structure and language and action. Sure it might have missed dealing with people that really don't get along, but I'd say what Barney and Friends demonstrated was much better than the post-apocalyptic mutant future that was seen in Teletubbies. Iggle Piggle, from what I've seen, isn't much better.

And Barney's infinitely better than the creepy dancing giant koosh balls giving partial birth to baby heads that cry like they are searching to harvest lost souls that is called Boobahs.

But I still say Sesame Street is a way better show. Or at least the Sesame Street that I remember.

edit:
Behold, evils too horrible to witness without being scarred for life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	164710__boobah_l.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4304

And here's a doll in action. The "Beebah" noise in real life has more reverb to it and sounds much more distant, sort of like a small child slowly calling someone's name down a long hallway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SXzWIQ2VEE

I've seen part of one show of these things. The only additional thing they do in the show is aerobic exercise at fast-zombie speeds, interspersed with jarring stops that have them stare directly at the camera and cry out.

Honestly, if I had a child and someone bought one of these for that child, they'd never see it. I'd bring it out back and do whatever I could to kill it with fire. And then mix the ashes with concrete.

Last edited by Shepp; 12-14-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
You know, its comforting to know that at least fighters in the fictional Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games never got into the performance enhancing drugs for their insanely ripped muscles and strength, unlike many real life professional athletes.

As for Barney and Friends, I have to admit that I never liked the series. It seemed to sugar coat everything to excess and was really lacking in dealing with anything that wasn't upbeat and perky.

But looking back, Barney was actually a really good show. It showed real life human beings interacting with each other on different levels, doing different activities, and everyone getting along together. There was structure and language and action. Sure it might have missed dealing with people that really don't get along, but I'd say what Barney and Friends demonstrated was much better than the post-apocalyptic mutant future that was seen in Teletubbies. Iggle Piggle, from what I've seen, isn't much better.

And Barney's infinitely better than the creepy dancing giant koosh balls giving partial birth to baby heads that cry like they are searching to harvest lost souls that is called Boobahs.

But I still say Sesame Street is a way better show. Or at least the Sesame Street that I remember.
Agreed, Sesame Street of GTFO.

THe new crazy stuff is really only meant for really young kids though. Some comedian went on a tangent about the dangers of Kids looking into the sun becuase there is a babies face in the sun on teletubbies. It was lol.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #23
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm9HY...eature=related

I just can't see how people could ever NOT find these Boobahs creepy.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #24
EnragedCoconut
Machine War

The outcome of kids has zero to do with what they watch or play. Its the beatings that matter.

And this is why i'm not breeding....

Denise
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #25
Pascal
Banned

Violent parents are more dangerous than violent cartoons as far as education is concerned...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #26
EnragedCoconut
Machine War

Bah.

I'm a strong believer that the threat of moderate violence made us all a little stronger.

I watched all the cartoons I want knowing well enough that if I dared try to impersonate GI Joe in one too many ways there'd be hell to pay.

HC
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #27
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
"Winners don't use drugs"
That's right, Winner's don't do drugs... they sell them!
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #28
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

It's all how children are raised.

Cartoons have nothing to do with it. People are always trying to blame irrational/violent behaviour on something.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 12-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #29
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I will never forget the opening screen for Street Fighter II's arcade machine. "Winners don't use drugs" Hear hear!
Didn't M. Bison utilize a wide range of stimulants, psychotropics, and mutagens to harness his Psycho Power?

Which character have you been playing in SF4, Daniel...
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #30
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

If you put your kids in front of the tv and let tv raise them instead of you, they'll learn from television. What they learn and how they express it will vary. But if you let your kids watch tv and be an observant parent at the same time, you can instill values and teach them good behaviour and it won't matter how many bad guys Batman kapows.

In fact, violence is one of the least worrisome aspects of tv these days, in my opinion.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote