Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 12-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #11
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Convention question

There's bonus's for preregistering, such as being able to attend the Friday night events which include the parts party, pizza party, games, and more.

The customizing class will also more then likely be available again and to get in one would need to preregister.

Exclusives have yet to be announced but you can look up previous convention exclusives to get an idea of what to expect

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
EnragedCoconut
Machine War

I go to both and I think the best analogy is that TFCon is like a smaller Botcon run by your brother's best friend.

Its not on the grand scale of Botcon but its got sort of a homey feel to it that makes it feel comfortable and fun.

Botcon is run by a business and you see that in the way its setup: Massive, cold, grand. TFCon is run by fans and you see that in the way it is setup: open, fun, accessible.

The dealer room at Botcon is still unmatched but TFCon always has a good selection. I leave Botcon seriously in debt. I leave TFCon with a tidy dent in my wallet.

I personally find that the guests are more accessible at TFCon. Where at Botcon you may get one or two words from them, at TFCon, if they've got the time, they'll give you a whole sentence. Maybe its because the scale is smaller and they aren't as fatigued from 10000s of people.

Someone said it was a very social con and they were bang on. I find, especially on Friday, there is alot of time that is just left to the devices of fans. If you're expecting a circus show at every moment, that part will disappoint you. If you want more time to just haul your shit out onto a table and mingle with other people, than you'll love it. I enjoy a circus so this part caught me off guard the first time I went. I managed my expectations the next time and was able to enjoy it for what it was.

Ultimately, both cons are what you make of it. Both are about the people you meet/hang out with. I enjoy Botcon as i'm usually staying locally in the Con hotel so spend all my time with people I only see once a year. As i'm local to TFCon, I usually drive back and forth and I think I lose something in that.

Keep in mind that the Con hotel isn't smack downtown in Toronto. Its by the airport. Coming from Indy, i'm assuming you'll drive so you'll have accessibility to downtown. Its about a 20 mins drive depending on traffic. If you're drinking, its not that bad of a cab ride.

I think you're presuming alot with thoughts of Rhode Island. Nothing's been announced yet and the rumours are almost always wrong. In another month or so, hopefully we'll hear more.

Denise

Last edited by EnragedCoconut; 12-13-2009 at 01:09 PM.
EnragedCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Homey? HOMEY???!!?!
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Since TFcon is fan-run, it is enhanced by everyone who attends and brings their personal touch to it. I've never been to BotCon, but as far as I know, TFcon is a different kind of event. There is as much focus on the panels and events as there is on the dealer room.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

If you do come, make sure to meet some other people from here, and of course take part in the cybertron.ca group photo!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Emperor Megatron
Generation 1

Are there certain hotels that everyone tends to stay at for the convention?

And yea, I would definitely love to meet some of the people from here
Emperor Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

The con is in a hotel and there's a special room rate for the attendees. Those details will come in the spring. There are a number of other hotels nearby.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
Emperor Megatron
Generation 1

Interesting, I'll have to hold out to see what the details are on that before I book a room then
Emperor Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Also, you might want to keep an eye on the news and sightings sections, see if the US has anything we don't, or vice versa. You can make some really good cross-border trades.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Megatron View Post
Are there certain hotels that everyone tends to stay at for the convention?
Yup, the DoubleTree hotel, you can click the banner at the top of the page for its location.

While no TFcon rate has been announced yet, it's usually not a bad idea to book a room very early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnragedCoconut View Post
I go to both and I think the best analogy is that TFCon is like a smaller Botcon run by your brother's best friend.
thanks, dude! I didn't know your brother thought that way of me, I'm touched!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote