Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag
Re: How/What do you feel when.......?

It sounds like you have a sizable collection. You can always arrange a grand battle or two between the two factions

Write your own fans fiction based on what you have. Heck, you don't even have to write it down - just do it in you head. You don't need to even follows any TV or IDW, etc. story line. Just fantasize.

Or, as others have mentioned start doing some detailing, repainting and kit-bashing.

I'm in a similar situation: no more hunting around and everything I wanted I preordered. Can be a challenging time for a TF collector

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 10-13-2013 at 01:11 AM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #22
CanBot
Cybertron

Well, if it's an addiction as you say, then this is actually a good time to take stock of your addiction. I know this is a lighthearted thread and I'm new here, but I know something of plastic crack Probably a bit too much, but I digress!

If your enjoyment is truly of the hunt and score, then perhaps it's time to see how much you enjoy your collection in its total grandeur!...just looking at my collection makes me feel good. The only stresses I feel are when I've missed out on a crazy deal or something arises where I lay off a purchase only to find out that an expansion to Carcassonne is now harder than shit to find ...again, I digress!

I've never been in a situation where I feel I've collected all I need to. I have little files with my 'gotta get it' for all my hobbies, and when I total up all the costs, I know that I'll have a lot to do over the next few years

I'm rambling, but it's hard for me to relate. I've only had one collection that I finally completed, and in a way it was bittersweet because now, it's just there and I rarely think about it. But when I *do think about it, I like to remember how fun it was that three years to collect everything I *needed.

Here's where things get a bit less than lighthearted sorry! I've found that I tend to collect to *deal with shit. Yes, it's a bit TMI I suppose, but the more I accept this, the better I feel about it. Collecting is therapeutic...within limits. I was impressed to see how many members here instantly touched on the 'limits' aspect of collecting Transformers. It's almost like they knew that I should be careful, because many have been down that road, lol! And it's more than just wasting money on things you really don't want. Which is what can happen when you collect just for the sake of collecting.

You've been doing this since 95, so I can only imagine what your collection must look like! I hope my post doesn't seem too head-shrinky for ya

Last thoughts: enjoy the wallet lull, it won't last long
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Just wait until you get Bovis you will be in all kinds of love with that figure as I am
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
mapatel
Generation 1

Think of this dry spell as a time to recharge your enthusiasm for the brand. Take stock of what you have, maybe weed out any unwanteds, because we all know next years gonna be just as awesome with computron and the fembots and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

Also, try some customs. They're great fun
Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
Hellboy
Alternator

I take a big sigh of relief when I finally catch up and have nothing to buy... but that lasts about a day or two tops.

When my wallets starts feeling a little bloated (suffering from "blue-wallet"?) I get the urge to buy something... perhaps something I was putting off because I was focused on catching up... but there is always something. Lego, Hot Wheels, Hot Toys, Kreons, TMNT and Star Wars... it never ends for me.

I have started a "catch and release" program in order to combat my cravings. Sometimes I'll buy and hold on to it for a week and then return it and sometimes I'll just buy on behalf of other people who I know are looking. I have a love/hate for "hunting" when new figures come out. I enjoy finding the new stuff... I hate the stress of thinking I'll miss out. Anyway, I like to think my new method helps hone my skills for when the hunt really matters.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Break out the Kreo and try to make them look decent and/or transform.

When this happens to me I either go vintage hunting or look into a parallel line like MicroRobot, Voltron or Gobots...very dangerous thing to do tho...that Dairugger Masterpiece set me back nearly $400!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #27
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Well, here's an idea that might float your boat.

Get some Gundam markers and panel line a few figures. You may want to buy some cheap crappy non-screen figure to practice on.

There's also the option to "fix" a few figures, like the penny mod for BH Voyager Prime, or making Airachnid a bit mode poseable.

Usually most of these only need a hobby knife and some time. Try this as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUTJPlw2ef4

And then there's some 3rd Party add-ons that may make your figures really pop, even as simple as Reprolabels.

Last, you could always bust most of your figures out and do a massive photo shoot. Individually or in groups.

edit: you COULD spin off into some supporting show characters, like KISS Players Marissa (her older self showed up in S3 of G1), or G.I.Joe Flint and Lady Jay (Marissa's parents, Flint showed up in S3 of G1), Old Snake (G.I.Joe's Cobra Commander, same thing in S3 of G1), General Hawk (Matrix holder in the G.I.Joe-Transformers crossover), Sperpentor (or Serpent.O.R. from the same G.I.Joe-TF crossover, also a matrix holder). Collect some Battle Beasts as they showed up in the Headmaster series.

Last edited by Shepp; 10-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote