Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
Jefro
Robot in Disguise
Re: Gonna get a gun...am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
I chose the time-tested 1911 .45 ACP. My stainless model was made by Sig Sauer but I was kinda bummed they didn't have one made by Colt but the range officer told me there's little difference. My wife opted for the Glock 17 9mm (she would have preferred something smaller like a .25 ACP pistol like the Beretta Jetfire but they didn't have any).

We both bought 50 rounds each which took about an hour to get through. Wifey was "done" after about 15 rounds so really I got to try both the .45 and the 9mm.

DVC's indoor ranges are 17 yards long and we were shooting at paper targets.

Coincidentally, the Mozambique Drill is very difficult to achieve when you are a first timer with a .45. After a couple attempts I resorted to slow methodical shots to the target's torso.

If you are ever in the area I definitely recommend giving DVC Indoor Shooting Centre a visit. http://www.vancouvergunrange.ca/
Their is literally no difference between a Colt or Sig 1911 as long as their both series 70 (which all Sigs are) but Colt has a series 80 which incorporates firing pin safeties resulting in poor trigger feel.

In regards to a Beretta Jetfire, that would actually have been harder for her to shoot. Not based on caliber/recoil but on barrel length/sight radius. She would be better off learning on a long barrel .22 but more specifically a revolver like a S&W 17 or 617. With a heavier revolver like the 617 and the combination of the .22 theirs virtually no recoil. With a semi-auto you get a lot more movement under recoil due to the slide moving back and forth. But Glocks are POS IMO and are not fun to shoot so I feel bad for your wife as her first experience was with something I'd shoot at, not with.

As for mozambique, that is more of a 7yrd thing and I know seasoned shooters who couldn't even do it @ 17yrds whether it be with a 9 or 45 etc... so don't feel bad. FYI, Pro IPSC guys will do it under 1 second
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #42
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro View Post
...But Glocks are POS IMO and are not fun to shoot so I feel bad for your wife as her first experience was with something I'd shoot at, not with.

As for mozambique, that is more of a 7yrd thing and I know seasoned shooters who couldn't even do it @ 17yrds whether it be with a 9 or 45 etc... so don't feel bad. FYI, Pro IPSC guys will do it under 1 second
That explains why my wife felt that the Glock was so...boring. It definitely is a no-nonsense firearm with very little aesthetics. She said she would have preferred one of the shiny .38 revolvers or even the .22LR target pistols.

As for the Mozambique Drill I was trying that from 5 yards away and the (suprisingly pretty female) range officer also said that was a difficult pattern that only seasoned tactical shooters can accomplish.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

My ex-coworkers tried the pimp's favorite gold Desert Eagle .50AE at DVC.

Personally I am not a fan of the Desert Eagel. It's so utterly vulgar. I'd much prefer a Walther PK380 or H&K USP.

Hey JJ. Maybe we should go for a round?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #44
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

^ Yeah, I saw the Golden Desert Eagle there and thought about that or the 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum revolver but couldn't justify the $8 per round price tag. Plus I got tired just holding the damn thing for 10 seconds! Agents from The Matrix must have strong arms...

Yeah I'd be up for another go. We should really get a group of us local TF fans out for a night at the range.

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 01-26-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #45
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

So with buying a gun no longer an option I must look elsewhere to complete my ever-looming 40th birthday crisis.

Victoria, BC...here I come!!!

http://www.davewheatongm.com/new/Che...28ef685cbb.htm

Though I would have preferred the 2010 TF Edition Camaro, DotM-era 'Bee rocks some serious shit too. I'm seriously considering heading over this weekend to check it out/test drive it.

Now if only I can come up with a convincing reason that my wife would go for.

Oh yeah...can anyone spot me the $50K up front???

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #46
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Get a cross bow JJ.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #47
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Though I would have preferred the 2010 TF Edition Camaro, DotM-era 'Bee rocks some serious shit too. I'm seriously considering heading over this weekend to check it out/test drive it.
I guess if my test drive doesn't pan out there's always eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290702227070?...84.m1436.l2648

It's the 2010 version which I'd prefer, but unfortunately in automatic.

I wonder if anyone on the boards knows the seller...

Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #48
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

Personally if I was to go after a bee camaro I would find a Yellow RS with the black stripes(even without the stripes, they can be picked up through a decal vendor for under $200) and buy the two badges from gmparts. They go for about $60 each and can easily be put on the fenders. I'm not sure what else is bot related on the car, headrest and maybe a logo on the steering wheel and that's about it.