Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #81
TFtoys
Animated
Re: What do you think of someone who would bring a scalper to a TF Fan meetup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
side note: I feel creating supply and demand should be a crime, and not just from a collectors pov, but things like gas and other necessities too.
I think scalper is someone who is super rich and list its price way higher than market value and still leave e-mail and phone number for people to reach.
Since some of the toy shop are no longer to have the advantage to compete the availability and pricing to the mass retail, they might need to buy from the local supply. Unless they are TTT, I won't really say small toy shop is scalper.

They must be rich enough to drive the shortage of the supply by buying a lot. However, everyone seems to have their own price ceiling and not going to buy certain figure over certain price. Hence, most of the time we can just have a good laugh of his pricing on either craigslist and ebay and not necessary to take it so seriously.
There are always some items listing on the ebay "forever" because of its price, but why do we have to waste our time on its price since there are still lots of available on ebay for bidding from the low price?

would someone bring a scalper to a TF Fan meetup?
well, do we actually know what our friends are doing and do we actuallly want to be friends with scalper at the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwaveCA View Post
It's called the free market, if you don't like it go back to Russia.
Russia girls are hot.
TFtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #82
MisBio12
Robot in Disguise

Get a steal boot and groan(crouch) that be lmfao
MisBio12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #83
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmick01 View Post
I don't think so, same as the classics Magnus/Prime jumped in price as soon as the city commander/dia commander were announced/came out. Heck, even selling a Rodimus at 30 isn't that bad, it's people taking advantage cause of an impending Protector set. You'll start seeing with the new 3-pack tha people will still try to sell one at an elevated price.
I think a picture of protector was included with the city commander manual, so it has been known about since at least '08

I bought a classics roddy from a local in early 09 for like $20, so the mania started after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFtoys View Post

Russia girls are hot.
That's just banner ads tricking you. :P
Russian girls, on average are probably less attractive than any western women due to worse higene and health care

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #84
CyberMnky
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
Yeah dude, I totally bought ROTF The Fallen for $20 and sold him for $5! Sick profit, right?!

Wait a minute...
you only got $5 cause I didn't have a toonie, so thats $3 more than asking price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter View Post
I think a picture of protector was included with the city commander manual, so it has been known about since at least '08

I bought a classics roddy from a local in early 09 for like $20, so the mania started after that

Russian girls, on average are probably less attractive than any western women due to worse higene and health care
Aren't they routinely rated hotter than North American girls? I recall reading that on several occasions. And every russian chick I've met has been damn hot (thought 6 or 7 women is not enough to judge an entire country by).
----------------------------------------------------------------

As for the original topic, the definition of scalper will vary from person to person. Some people would argue that our Grimlock pool we have set up here in Calgary is scalping. I disagree of course, but some would think so.

As for bringing one to a meet up or gathering - if it's an open invitation such as what we do here in Calgary, and I imagine other cities do the same, then we either start an invasive screening process or take our chances. A meet up is about having fun and hanging out. Do we frequently do transactions? Yes, we had people doing a bank run at our last meet up. But the sales are a byproduct of the meet up, and not the main focus. If someone is genuinely happy about Transformers and wants to come then they are welcome. I dislike the nature of scalpers, but regardless of how I feel about their business practices, they are entitled to have a good time with people with similar hobbies.
I know several people who don't like security guards, in fact when I used to frequent the pub there was a person with rather vocal opinions. Yet we had no problems having a drink together. He hates my profession, not me personally. And when you get down to it, scalping is a business practice.

There's my 47 cents... take it or leave it.

/rant

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

Last edited by CyberMnky; 08-20-2010 at 12:46 AM.
CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #85
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter View Post

there's an old russian cure for that......vodka
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #86
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

^ in russia, scalper make 9 page thread complaint about little man online who cry about toys.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #87
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
Some people would argue that our Grimlock pool we have set up here in Calgary is scalping.
Some people also have an extra 21st chromosome... I'm not sure about the relation yet...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #88
CyberMnky
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
Some people also have an extra 21st chromosome... I'm not sure about the relation yet...
Some people are are also idiots, but we're just splitting hairs here...

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #89
astrana
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwaveCA View Post
It's called the free market, if you don't like it go back to Russia.
there are still regulations against certain business practice.

monopolizing is illegal, and monopoly is very similar with scalping. only reason scalping is not regulated because it wont effect the economy. i guess you can say monopoly is larger scale of scalping

Last edited by astrana; 08-20-2010 at 01:28 AM.
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #90
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrana View Post
there are still regulations against certain business practice.

monopolizing is illegal, and monopoly is very similar with scalping. only reason scalping is not regulated because it wont effect the economy. i guess you can say monopoly is larger scale of scalping
Creating a monopoly is not illegal - just look at goverment controlled Liquor monopolies in many provinces.

By your reasoning Walmart isn't allowed to have an exclusive toy because it would give them a "monopoly" on the item. This is not illegal its, just reality.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote