Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Vakamadisk
Meow
Helping other people choose the right Transformer...

While browsing through the toy aisle's Transformers section at Wal-Mart, I saw this lady come in with 2 employees. She said that she was looking for an Optimus Prime figure for her nephew. The employees looked through the voyager figures, but they gave up after a few boxes, and declared that he was sold out. I decided to ask the lady what kind of Optimus Prime figure she was looking for. She said that she didn't really know which was which. Since I knew that there were no leader class Primes left, I decided to look through the voyagers myself. Sure enough, I found a voyager class Optimus Prime figure. As I handed the figure to the lady, I told her that this one costs less and has 2 guns, while the bigger one has 2 swords and costs more. She gratefully thanked me, as one employee asked me in a sarcastic tone if I "play with them." I just simply replied, "I'm a collector, it's my hobby." Then I looked down and saw a Masterpiece Skywarp figure sitting on the shelf. Guess who's standing on my desk as I type this?

It felt good helping her select a figure using my knowledge of the figures themselves. Has anyone else ever done something like this in a store? Discuss your stories of helping people select the right Transformer toy.

Last edited by Vakamadisk; 11-07-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Vakamadisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Blurrz
Fast Everything
Re: Helping other people choose the right Transformer...

XD. You're doing Victoria a favor, lad. I haven't helped anyone TF wise in Victoria, however back when I was a Kid in Edmonton, I basically knew too much about toys for my own good, just had to share the knowledge with others.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakamadisk View Post
She gratefully thanked me, as one employee asked me in a sarcastic tone if I "play with them." I just simply replied, "I'm a collector, it's my hobby." Then I looked down and saw a Masterpiece Skywarp figure sitting on the shelf. Guess who's standing on my desk as I type this?
If you wanted to be a prick to the employee. You could have said, "Yeah, I play with them. Just like I play with yo' mama every night." And there's not a dam thing they can say back to you. If they do... manager please... hahha. But good job on the helping front.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Batman
The Dark Knight

I help all the time. At TRU the manager always says to people when I am there that if they have any questions to ask me because I know more then he does. I have saved many kids from getting Leader Primes when they are 3 and Gravity bots when they are 12.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
tusko
Classic

I bite my tongue although I have thought of chiming in at times.

I think the more complex transformers are not for young (<6 year old) kids and will lead to frustrations. I sometimes have the urge to point parents to simpler more fun toys but in the end its none of my business.

Every employee I've ever talked to in the toy section is always excited about TFs and most tell me about how when they were young they had most of the G1 toys.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
BeeBoy29
Alternator

Sometimes when theres TF sales ppl are confused which one is on sale, one time at loblaws this lady saw me getting a tfa swindle on sale she then asked if i could help her pick some for her son as a surprise for his b-day, recommended blurr and swindle, and i felt really happy when the lady smiled and thanked me.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Sideswipe
Break it down!

I helped 3 or 4 moms / families a couple weeks ago.

The first lady who got my advise and help, she was looking for the popular characters and had picked up the cyber stomping ones. I asked her if she wanted one that transformed and she did, so I pointed her to the right ones. She gave me some details about how much she wanted to spend and such etc etc etc.

I had just about finished helping when the guy from electronics came over and was helping another lady. The woman I was helping overheard and the clerk saw we were looking for Primes and BBs and showed her the same cyber stomping ones I sugested not getting, upon which she asked him if they transformed (I assume she wanted to be sure) and he said they did.

I laughed on the inside and politely explained that they don't. And which ones did. The whole gang of us got along fine, but you could see the guy (from electronics, whose wisdom I have experienedin the past, or lack of) was pushing for products that did not fit the mold of what these moms were looking for.

He's a nice kid, but doesn't get what people are after. The last time I saw him my gf and i were talking about wii ps3 and 360 with him. he gave the wii no credit as it lacks video prowess. was all about ps3 ( i think) we brought up titles like zelda metroid mario starfox and that its aimed at the casual gamer and or kids. And that its sales kicked the other 2 ass and has way less hardware / compatability issues.

I actually like the guy. I always wonder what his opinion or input is when I go there to myself or other consumers. He's just young I figure and lacks experience.

Sorry, derailed a bit. It is also worth mentioning he did not know about the rotf dlx sale (which he said they werent when asled).

And while I was able to help many others that day, I safly bought nothing of my own. I caved the flollowing day and got an animated oil slick at regular price. At least I really like him, and don't regret it.

Last edited by Sideswipe; 11-07-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
Magnimus
Alternator

I usually chime in when it's obvious the employee has no idea how to help the buyer. I've helped people find figures they couldn't remember the names of, and I've helped people determine whether their kids wanted a movie or animated figure (i.e. Prime, Ratchet, Megatron). Come to think of it, I spend too much time in the toy aisle at stores helping people who are frustrated with confused store employees.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
OneShallFall
FoxtrotUnicornCharlieKilo

<----- helped a guy learn he could walk next door to Walmart from Zellers and get a Voyager for $10 instead of $35.

I normally mind my own unless it is some old lady that seems to need help. Some people get snotty and it really is not my job.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
Sokar
Armada

that happens to me a lot at tru actually. If I know people are looking for something I try and help them if they seem really confused, but I don't try to butt in if they don't look like they need help. I did have one lady come up the other day when I had the mixmaster/hoist pack in my hands and was asking about whether or not I thought a deluxe figure was good for her son who was like 4 years old. I've even pointed out figures to some of the staff at tru and different stores when they were on the phone roaming around to track down soundwave for someone.