Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Nightshade83
Question Need advice on modifying an F117 model into a Transformer

While I was in Florida for my Reading Week break from university (in which no reading was done), I found, tucked away on the back of a clearence shelf at a craft store, a snap-together plastic model of an F117 Stealth Fighter -- my very favourite kind of fighter jet, and the one I based my TF fan character, Nightshade, off of.

My question is, what would be the best way to go about making this model into a working Transformer?

The model's about the same size as a Voyager-class toy (here's a pic with DS Starscream for comparison). I realize she'll probably have to be a partsformer. I'm fine with that. I just really have no idea where to start with her. Up until now, I've only done repaints.

The model basically comes in five big, snap together pieces. The top fuselage, bottom fuselage, 2 wings and tailfin. Also, there's a small clear yellow plastic insert for the cockpit for the windows.

There's just two things I have to do with this, somehow. In robot mode, I want her wings to fold onto her back like the wingcase of an insect (so she's distinct from the seekers). Also, I want her cockpit to form a detachable "fencing mask" over her face.

Any advice as to how I could make this work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightshade and Starscream.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	2068  

Decepticons? I've survived Unicron AND being a Headmaster ... TO A WHINY LITTLE HUMAN BRAT!!!

My Transformers fanfiction: Vapour Trails ,
Prayer
Devart page: http://violetlight83.deviantart.com/

Last edited by Nightshade83; 03-05-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Nightshade83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Need advice on modifying an F117 model into a Transformer

A Bionicle figure would probably make a good "skeleton" for the robot. They're well articulated and allow you to mix and match parts to better suit your needs.
Whisky Tango Foxtrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Work backwards using this as a TFation idea and incorporate the wing changes and anything else you see fit...can always put joint on the cockpit to become a battle mask.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Nightshade83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
Work backwards using this as a TFation idea and incorporate the wing changes and anything else you see fit...can always put joint on the cockpit to become a battle mask.
I have an Air Raid toy -- he's much too small and too clunky for what I had in mind, but thanks for the idea.

Quote:
A Bionicle figure would probably make a good "skeleton" for the robot. They're well articulated and allow you to mix and match parts to better suit your needs.
I wanted Nightshade to have a movieline feel to her, so perhaps the Bionicle could work. I just don't want her to look too alien, if that makes any sense for a movieline Decepticon. Again, thanks. I'll definately keep that one in mind.

Decepticons? I've survived Unicron AND being a Headmaster ... TO A WHINY LITTLE HUMAN BRAT!!!

Prayer
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Well, basically I think what you're trying to plan is reshelling the transformer...she wouldn't really be a partsformer.

This is a guide about reshelling alternators with model cars, and it's general, but I think you might be able to take the basics and apply it to your project.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutori...ternators.html

I'd try and get some of the major customizers on here to help you with advice...

As for the Air Raid figure, I think he suggested you base the transformation on air raid...not actually use air raid.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
onecoin
Banned

Step 1: Buy Ultra Silverbot
Step 2: Remove robot from jet shaped backpack
Step 3: Attach Robot to F117
Step 4: Thank Onecoin
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

But the F-117 doesn't fold in half! That's a critical part of the transformation!

And I'm pretty sure Bionicle heads are easily removable, so you can use another head if you want provided you can find one that fits.
Whisky Tango Foxtrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
Nightshade83

Would my descriptions in my story be of any help describing what I'm going for? I purposefully left them rather vague, but it might give a bit of an idea:

From Vapour Trails Chapter 1:

He eyed the black, strangely angular-armoured Decepticon femme. Her arms were crossed in front of her, but her thin, triangular battle visor was retracted (for once). He saw no sign of the deadly rapier and smaller blaster-blade that were the spy’s primary weapons,but that annoying metal insect she called a pet, Waspinator, was perched on her left shoulder, staring at Starscream with the same simple-minded intensity he saw as characteristic of all Decepticon symbiotes.

From Vapour Trails Chapter 4b:

Another man would have stood, transfixed, and probably would have got himself killed, as the Stealth reformed itself. Angular panels became armour; long, humanoid legs emerged, appearing to “wear” practical, military-like boots, unlike the bird-like legs of that other jetformer, wings folded and flattened against a robotic back like an alien insect’s wingcase, the cockpit slid against the back of the head momentarily, before sliding forward, covering the visored, robotic face like a fencer’s mask, an eerie, faceless look. The fencer motif was complete with the extension of a long, thin, rapier-like sword appearing in one clawed hand, a shorter, bladed pistol-like weapon in the other.

From Prayer Part 1: (pre-Earth, but might be useful anyway)

It was with some relief that Megatron noticed one of the very few Decepticons he could trust enter the training yard. Soundwave was never one for parties; the dark blue Communications Commander strode purposefully towards the stack of energon cubes, a space-black, angular-armoured shape following. Megatron’s optics narrowed. It had been some time since he had last seen Soundwave’s young apprentice.

Like her master, Nightshade specialized in communications and intelligence, choosing the alt form of a stealth tetrajet, a variation on the Seeker design which focused on reconnaissance and ground assault over aerial combat. Its unusual geometry combined with unique polymer coatings made her invisible to Autobot scans. However, she was not invisible to him. No, it was quite apparent she was no longer a youngling quietly standing in Soundwave’s shadow. She was now a fully upgraded, adult femme … an unconventionally beautiful one at that. She was a respectful one as well. Despite the completely informal air of the victory party, she stood at parade rest behind Soundwave, patiently awaiting her master’s orders.

I hope this might help visualize what I want. (Not to mention I get to show off my writing ) Above all, I want Nightshade to actually *look* like she Transforms into a Stealth Fighter. I hated how with the G1 female Autobots, you couldn't tell what the hell they transformed into while they were in robot mode. I want my Transformer to actually look like a Transformer, not like a metal pin-up.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Prayer

Last edited by Nightshade83; 02-24-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Nightshade83

Okay, it looks like I'm going to have to be a bit more flexible with my planned Transformation scheme.

Anyway, I was looking through Zellers today and came across this Bionicle set, which I think might make a good skeleton framework for my custom.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/...cf6878.jpg?v=0

Could anyone who's familiar with Bionicles give me some advice as to whether or not this is a good idea? I haven't played with legos since I was a little kid, and even then, my Mom used to get me the girly sets with pastel coloured blocks - nothing this complex.

I think I definately have my work cut out for me, if I hope to have this custom ready in time for TF Con.

Prayer
Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Network
Machine War

it's possible that it could work..but it might be too complex...I would go to http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/cu...?include=Mecha and poke around there, or http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/cu...clude=Bionicle. you might get some ideas from there...