Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #101
onecoin
Banned
Re: Stop the Meter: CRTC's Usage-Based Billing for Internet Services

http://money.ca.msn.com/investing/de...entid=27533690
Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #102
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Counterpoint: The utilities mentioned in that article as a comparison to internet are at least in part publically owned and highly regulated to protect the good of the people as an essential service, and to prevent gouging. This ties into the companies with market dominance being at least partially crown corporations, and many charge far less than the market should actually bear, which also prevents profit-oriented corporations from entering the arena.

Now tell me, why should internet be any different if its similar in these other regards mentioned in the article?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #103
onecoin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
Counterpoint: The utilities mentioned in that article as a comparison to internet are at least in part publically owned and highly regulated to protect the good of the people as an essential service, and to prevent gouging. This ties into the companies with market dominance being at least partially crown corporations, and many charge far less than the market should actually bear, which also prevents profit-oriented corporations from entering the arena.

Now tell me, why should internet be any different if its similar in these other regards mentioned in the article?
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...am-oregon.html

At least telecom has the CRTC and transparency.

Last edited by onecoin; 02-04-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #104
Aernaroth
Metroplex

I'd rather have an agency that looks out for its mandated constiuents instead of the companies in the industry it manages, frankly.

Also, as to that article, when its someone from a consulting firm brought in to audit your company who criticizes you, I don't think its necessarily a lack of transparency if those results (even if they're negative) make it to the press and you address the claims. If anything, this is someone submitting an anonymous complaint regarding the management (and such a complaint can be devastating to a person's career if made publically in any industry, hence whistleblower statutes in the first place) that was seen to have merit by an outside body, and is now being investigated.

In the case of the telecommunications industry, they responded to claims they were throttling bandwidth by saying "its good for the customer to not get the service they pay for because we reduce traffic, what, we're throttling programs that could compete with our on-demand programming, don't worry, we're a company, we look out for our customers".

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...videotron.html

Also, why would you think a private corporation would have more public transparency than a crown corp, which is answerable to the government and the public, rather than a board of directors and possibly the shareholders?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #105
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoin View Post

Now we're comparing Bell to my local utility company?

First comment at the end of that article pretty much echoes my opinion.

If all the proponents of UBB are all about paying for your fair share, maybe it's time someone propose that every single channel on your television be converted to a pay-per-view system as well. I don't watch a lot of TV and I don't want to be supporting the 20% minority that watch excessive television.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #106
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

LMAO, comparing internet bills to utility bills?

If I pay $0.60/L for 20L of gas, do I pay $2 for the 21st Litre? No.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #107
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
LMAO, comparing internet bills to utility bills?

If I pay $0.60/L for 20L of gas, do I pay $2 for the 21st Litre? No.
Seriously. At the very least, the utilities have to undertake value added processes for me to be able to use whatever it is I'm paying to access through them. Bell doesn't have to do anything to the information that I need to access through their lines for it be usable to me; heck, they don't even have ownership to whatever it is I'm after and they want to charge me as if they produced it?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #108
onecoin
Banned

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-632.htm
Closed Thread