Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #61
onecoin
Banned
Re: Stop the Meter: CRTC's Usage-Based Billing for Internet Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
You seem to love having the exact same things.

We are getting hosed. It's more or less an oligopoly and it can be a much better market, if the CRTC doesn't keep implementing more laws in the public's "best interests".
I guess we'll just allow swearing on TV and American Television and news to take over. Its too bad. I really enjoyed Corner Gas. I doubt the CBC can survive off of Hockey Night in Canada alone.

I like that you didn't argue my point that you just agreed with me. We're on the same side now.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #62
onecoin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
already getting hosed
Explain? How are we ALREADY getting hosed? How much was your last High Speed bill. Did you get hosed already? Post it please, and I will notify your local MP.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #63
Aernaroth
Metroplex

I'm two steps ahead of you on that one. We're getting "hosed" because we are already paying high rates for poor technical support, slow (and possibly intentionally throttled, if some evidence is to be believed) connection speeds, low bandwidth caps and high overuse fees compared to other nations, and are tied to a company that cries and asks for the opportunity to charge more despite making substantial and consistent profits because there is essentially no competitors to support that won't do the exact same thing.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #64
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoin View Post
I guess we'll just allow swearing on TV and American Television and news to take over. Its too bad. I really enjoyed Corner Gas. I doubt the CBC can survive off of Hockey Night in Canada alone.

I like that you didn't argue my point that you just agreed with me. We're on the same side now.
I'm too tired to bother arguing anymore, and no, I'm not on the same side as you.

My last bill had $18 in over usage charges (9 GB). If I had the next package with a higher bandwidth, I could have paid less and be able to use more. If it weren't for UBB, I could have switched to a DSL reseller and get more and pay less.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #65
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:

And why do we assume people will get hosed? Why must we assume the worst. This could just as easily be a good thing for the majority of users.
Because we get hosed all the time, from gas prices to cel phones.

This is why the government needs to regulate such things, to ensure fair pricing, fair wages and the like for those it watches over, its citizens.

When they don't do their job we need to ask why? Thats all. I'm all for you getting a smaller, less expensive internet plan to suit your needs - but why hasn't such a plan been offered for you up until now?

Wouldn't that have been the nice/business savy thing for companies to do? Why not approach cutomers with less usage and offer them a discount based on consumption?

Why not? Because then they can't hose people like my parents, people who use the internet maybe three hours a week, for the full $40-$50 charge per month.

I find it difficult to believe that a large company such as Bell is going to suddenly decide to charge anyone less based on usage. Call me untrusting but I can't think of a single example of a large corporation showing such benevolence.

It probably has happened I just haven't seen it.

Again to me its not about these companies deciding to charge based on consumption, I'd love for them to do that. It just seems to me that these base charges they can impose on everyone is too sweet a deal for them to pass up on.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #66
onecoin
Banned

Quote:
I'm too tired to bother arguing anymore, and no, I'm not on the same side as you.
LOL
Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #67
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Its a mob it prays on fears of people. Just look at the titles of the articles in the news or forums. How many of them are really objective? And worse yet, how many of the articles, are objective. And did you bother to notice the Liberal objection to this whole matter? When did that become news, before or after the decision was made.

I like that article, but like everything not everyone has to agree.

I just think of the status quo now. So, the ability to charge people different prices is pulled. Everyone, same price, unlimited internet. Great. If that price is the same 40 bucks its been for the past 10 years. What if the Service Providers just raise everyone's prices. If we say everyone gets unlimited internet. So now internet is 50 a month, 60 a month, 70 a month... Who suffers now?
I believe that is what Regulatory Commisions are meant to work with/against/something???

The point is, is you start charging exorbitant fees for services you are left with dissatisfied customers... And the customer is ALWAYS RIGHT! That is the rule, that is what retailers are meant to follow.

In this economically trying time we can't allow big conglomerates the opportunity to line their coffers with our hard earned money when we need it to survive, the entire thing stinks of favoritism/elitism, and that sort of practice should have gone out with the ... well something or other, I'm beginning to lose focus on what I'm trying to get across due to the lateness of the evening and the slowly growing lethargy that a need for sleep brings.

The point is, they want to do something that is unethical and suicidal in the long run, because growth can not happen when everything is stagnant, and that's exactly what would happen if they started to cap everyone's internet.

My father claims that they only want to go after cell phone, x-box live, Wii, Iphone, Ipad users and not household internet, that's what he heard on the news at any rate, but I feel that it wouldn't stop there. Give a man enough rope and he'll hang himself. And that's exactly what Bell and those bastards are trying to do.

But we'll all suffer in the long run before they manage to choke on their own greed and inherent lack of understanding just how more important it is to let things evolve and let technologies for better Ineternet services be born.

UGH, see now I'm really starting to not make much sense. I think it's time to get to bed.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #68
onecoin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Wouldn't that have been the nice/business savy thing for companies to do? Why not approach cutomers with less usage and offer them a discount based on consumption?
Now they can. If you charge the abusers, you can charge the regulars less.

Yes. More agreement. Thanks Robimus.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #69
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
LOL
*Dr. Claw Voice*

Next Time, onecoin, next time...

Please stay in Japan for life.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #70
onecoin
Banned

Quote:
*Dr. Claw Voice*

Next Time, onecoin, next time...

Please stay in Japan for life.
Warn me the next time you come over. I want to be sure I'm out of the country I here Korea is nice right now.
Closed Thread