Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
IDW Transformers Comics Thread(Spoilers)

Updated for late 2008, early 2009
Here's a General look, hopefully in chronological order.Feel free to point out mistakes and they will be fixed )

IDW G1
Origin Megatron
Infiltration
Stormbringer
Escalation
Devastation

Spotlights:
Hotrod........... Ultra Magnus
Kup............... Shockwave
Nightbeat....... Sixshot
Galvatron.......Optimus Prime
Soundwave........Ramjet
Grimlock.......Mirage
Blaster...........Arcee
Wheelie........Cyclonus
Hardhead........Doubledealer
Sideswipe........Blurr

*Note* The Revelation Spotlights Cyclonus/Hardhead/Doubledealer/Sideswipe seem to at this point wrap up the Simon Furman written "ation" story arcs.

Current Series(coming soon) within the IDW G1 Continuity:

All Hail Megatron: (Set one year after the conclusion of the Simon Furman Story Lines)

Maximum Dinobots: (Issue 1 slated for Dec 10)

Movie Continuity:

Movie Prequel Series

Movie Adaptation Series

Reign of Starscream Series

TFTM2 Prequel Series(s) Alliance and Defiance(Coming Soon)

IDW Beast Wars:

The Gathering
The Acending

Other Stuff :

Transformers Animated Comic Series
Evolutions: Hearts of Steel
Generation(s): Reprints of claasic Transformers Comics
Target 2006
Saga of the Allspark

Please throw in your reveiws, comments and such. And feel free to go crazy on the spoiler stuff for released comics But be warned that spoilers will be contained within.................

Last edited by Robimus; 12-03-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Re: IDW Transformers Comics Thread(Spoilers)

Here we go!
I must say that even though I'm not a big comic fan I love IDW's original transformers stuff. Great story combined with all these characters which of course are very familiar to us all. Its G1 all over again, only improved(at least comic wise).
I started a couple months back with Infiltration, and while I was impressed I wasn't blown away. I did love how the Starscream/Megatron dynamic was central to the story but the Autobots took a bit of a back seat.
I don't own Stormbringer but did flip through it in Chapters. Again I thought good but not great.
Next I moved to some of the stand alones, Hotrod's and Sixshots(liked the Terrorcons getting some page time)-Loved them both but was left thinking that they were only stand alones. I didn't yet know how much the stand alones tied into the main story.
I moved on to Escalation and found it very enjoyable. Then the Ultra Magnus stand alone was next, again very cool with Scorponok and all.
Then came the new Devestation series, this is the point at which I'm getting blown away. Every thing is tying together perfectly. The Hotrod and Sixshot stand alones are tied into the story and I suspect the Magnus plot line will be tied in shortly as well(I'm guessing the Machination human group must be tied to Scorponok). We're only two issues in and already so much has come together.

I love the characterization Ultra Magnus in his stand alone. He used to strike me as kind of a watered down version of Prime, but IDW has really given him his own character-the lone lawman bringing criminals to justice thing really works for me. He almost seems to be the Autobot version of Sixhot, kinda the bad assed warrior nobody wants to mess with. Very Well done! I still have yet to read the Nightbeat, Kup and Shockwave standalones but will be getting to them real soon, I can just only afford so much per week.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Wodicus
Beasty

I love this comic series myself. I'm not much of a comic guy but I've come to love them.

I honestly enjoyed Infiltration and Stormbringer as hooks into the bigger picture, but what really got me going were the Spotlights and Escalation. I think my favorite Spotlights so far have been... well all of them, their just really good. I really like what they've done with Ultra Magnus and Galvatro, probably Galvatron more so.

I never liked Galvatron much and always saw him as a poor and insane replacement for MEgatron, however his Spotlight totally made me like him more. I really liked how they are separate characters now and his comic was great.

I'm really looking forward to the three up and coming Spotlights for Ramjet (November) Blaster (January I think) and Arcee (February) and how these three tie into the main plot.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
neospike
Generation 2

I own all the released trades. So far, so good. I loved the Ops vs Megs fight in Escalation.

Cannot wait to see more of my fave, Starscream! Looks like he's going to become a major player in the Devastation arc.
neospike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Wodicus
Beasty

Yeah, Starscream was always one of my favorite transformers and I really want to see more of him in the tion series. I read a synopsis for Devastation #5 coming out in December/January and he is supposed to do something big in that issue.

But what I really want to see happen is the introduction of some combiner teams. I think that would be awesome to see some gestalts wailing on each other in the middle of a city.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Incepticon
Double Agent

I bought all the currently available TPB's months ago, but have only read Stormbringer so far due to it being the only one (imo) that has good story AND great artwork. I find the majority of IDW's TF artwork to be some of the worst I have ever seen put to paper, so that's what has been stopping me from reading Infiltration, Escalation and the spotlights yet.

I know some people like the art of these series - which I don't personally understand after the bar that Dreamwave set (minus Lee's puffyformers) with their comics - but I find it almost too distracting to even open these TPB's up and give the stories a fair chance.

If Don, Guido, Joe NG, Ruffolo or even Wildman either did the art exclusively, more often or at all, it would be a different story.
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incepticon View Post
I bought all the currently available TPB's months ago, but have only read Stormbringer so far due to it being the only one (imo) that has good story AND great artwork. I find the majority of IDW's TF artwork to be some of the worst I have ever seen put to paper, so that's what has been stopping me from reading Infiltration, Escalation and the spotlights yet.

I know some people like the art of these series - which I don't personally understand after the bar that Dreamwave set (minus Lee's puffyformers) with their comics - but I find it almost too distracting to even open these TPB's up and give the stories a fair chance.

If Don, Guido, Joe NG, Ruffolo or even Wildman either did the art exclusively, more often or at all, it would be a different story.
The story seems is my favorite part of the comics, you've gotta read them just for that. Like I say I'm no comic fan but the art comes across far better than what I've seen in the old marvel series and I liked it well enough as well.
Plus Infiltration started out early with a couple of under used characters-Runabout and Runamuck . It made total sense story wise-If the decepticons were trying to hide amoungst humans they would need some agents with car Alts as well. Plus I love those two characters, hold over from toys I had as a kid I guess.
I haven't checked out the Dreamwave stuff yet but I will in time. The rapidly dropping price of comics is what has gotten me started on this whole binge. $5 to $6 a comic was too much for me, but $3 or $4 is alright. Heck I picked up five a few weeks back and was charged $15.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodicus

But what I really want to see happen is the introduction of some combiner teams. I think that would be awesome to see some gestalts wailing on each other in the middle of a city.
They'll have to get Swindle off that world that Magnus dumped him on. Loved Swindle's characterization as well. " Lets make a deal"
Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Nightbeat

So far only the Kup spotlight is a stand-alone. The others have all tied into the main series at some point.

Those looking for combiner action should pick up
the Optimus Prime spotlight. From that, it looks like we'll see the other combiners pretty soon.

The Megatron: Origins series has been their weakest so far.

Save your money on the old DW comics. The WW series which were completed are good, but avoid the G1 stuff like the plague.
Nightbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
Incepticon
Double Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbeat View Post
Save your money on the old DW comics. The WW series which were completed are good, but avoid the G1 stuff like the plague.
I could not disagree more. While there are some understandably very divided opinions on the quality of their writing & storylines, I'd still absolutely suggest their G1 stuff to any fans who appreciate great artwork. It's some of the best TF art ever produced, if not THE best (imo). It's actually *because* of DW's quality of art & coloring that I got back into Transformers after a 15 year hiatus.

Just my two cents on it anyway
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote