Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > Toys and Collectibles

Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
chisau
personal review of toy Expo

I'm sorry

I wrought this post as a friendly review to share my experiences.

unfortunately my writing skills are not up to par and i was informed that it was interpreted as complaining. i swear i was NOT complaining.

So i'm deleting it and rewriting it for now, and hopefully reposting in the future.

just to clarify, I had a great time at the toy expo and i'm sorry if i pissed anyone off with my bad writing. I will fix it.

to the mods, i'm sorry and please feel free to delete this post.

Last edited by chisau; 10-01-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Re: personal review of toy Expo

Well, my Kiss Rodimus was a pickup from a dealer, so the early bird had nothing to do with it. Honestly, $5 is worth the sacrifice for early bird, but there was pretty much next to nothing of what I was hoping to purchase though. I was looking for more of the sealed new items, whereas it had a lot more vintage stuff than I thought.

I only wished I stayed until 3 when all the dealers were throwing away deals like crazy

As for all the more rarer items you didn't see, I"ll be seeing you on ebay!

I think that at this time of the year, we really don't know what's going on with the future of TFs, so many toy lines are being cancelled, and the recent bad news of Takara-Tomy's/Hasbro's financial situation, it could possibly make drive an increase in demand for this stuff.

P.S.
I think you're just jealous that Benzo's got "The Touch"!

Plus the rising CDN dollar and the movie hype that just doesn't seem to face away, we just might have to get used to the fact that some toys have gone up in ~300%.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

chisau, this was a toy show, not a convention. There were never any panels or events promoted so the fact that you are disappointed in that makes no sense to me. Also I'm not sure what math you are using to count the number of dealers because there were 3-4 times that at least.

Regardless the show was packed all day and all the collectors and dealers I spoke to were extremely happy with the turnout and selection. If you can only take out $200 a day then might I suggest that you make a trip to the bank prior to driving to a show like this in the future? Just seems like your limited funds could have been avoided. Regardless, good to hear you enjoyed yourself overall, I picked up the clear BT Mirage from Kooltoys!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Crobot91
Metroplex

I'd rather spend only $10 and avoid all the nonsense that comes with a convention. Spending $20 to see extra panels, events, etc. is not worth it IMO. Toy shows are better and cheaper and I don't feel any obligation to stay longer than one hour.

Anyways, I found everything I needed that day, lol...
Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Protoman
The Legend

It's all in the wording. TFcon, Botcon, Animecon, San Diago ComicCon, all Con=Convention. Convention (Meaning to "Come together"), they are for social meetings and or displaying during an event. A toy show or expo is normally just for selling, yes I was a little disappointed to hear it was not as big as people had hoped......
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Powered Convoy

This is not meant in any way to detract from the effort of the organizers, but I liked last year's expo better. I'm not sure of there were more people this year or if the room was smaller, but it was really difficult to move around. Also, I think the hype of 80s properties is building up again because some of the prices were flat-out ridiculous (e.g. last year complete loose Omega Supreme = $100, this year $200). Can't really blame the dealers though, they're there to make money I don't know, maybe I've reached a plateau with 80s collecting...there really wasn't any "WOW" this year like there was last year...again, nothing against the organizers or dealers, your efforts are appreciated!

I did find some Joe comics for my collection, an 82 Grand Slam, 83 Flash & Cobra Commander, and the 5-pack 25th Anniversary Cobra set (previously opened, so $25!! best deal!)...no TFs this year And I still have my MIMP G1 Megatron & Soundwave reissue, no dealers were interested in trading. Perhaps if I'd stayed towards the end of the day when they were more inclined to dump product

Is the upcoming Hamilton toy show worth going to?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Dave-astator
Dave-astator's Ebay Auctions

A convention!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it!!!!!!

Somebody should start a convention based on Transformers!!

We could call it the "G"et-together "O"f "B"ots "O"r "T"ransformers!!

How about a GOBOT-con?

I'm gonna start one....anybody want to come?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Sometimes I wish we had smaller monthly TF "flea markets", especially with cheaper costs for dealers, and then we'd be able to buy the vintage stuff we want every once a month. Which is much more convenient than getting it online or every few times a year.

Although they've been doing that with Sports/Fantasy cards every weekend at the Galleria Mall at Dufferin/Dupont, and that's not successful at all, darn.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisau View Post
what i did was count the source. for example, Kool toys was 1 source. they also bought 2 dealer passes for the 2 people working there and 3 tables.

so when i see a group of tables that had same kid of stuff, i counted as one source which means one dealer.

There was one guy i see at all conventions and he had bought the entire wall and had 5 tables and had 4 peoples working. but i still counted them as 1 dealer since there was only one source.
Chisau, I hope you're not still complaining about the convention, it's this or no soup (I mean Expo) for you (us)!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
chisau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_rage View Post
Chisau, I hope you're not still complaining about the convention, it's this or no soup (I mean Expo) for you (us)!
complaining?? what are you talking about?

Sup-meg asked me what kind of math i was using, i explained that i was counting sources instead of tables sold or dealer passes used. that's it.

why is everyone thinking i was complaining?