Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: Claiming customs marked as gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Thanks for the info guys!

Now to see if we can get the online toy stores on board...
The only problems I see with that are:

1. If the package is insured, they would only be able to recoupe the declared value, if (when) it gets lost.
2. As a business, I would think they would want to avoid the whole fraud thing, and not risk getting into trouble on that kind of thing. It is one thing for average joe US-American to cheat on the customs... another thing entirely for a business to pull the same thing.

I would love it if they would, but I don't see it happening.

rid: Here's a question for you (or anyone else for that matter)... Say you win an auction for $1 (eBay price). The seller marks the declared value as $30(retail price). You get nailed on the customs for the $30, even though you only paid $1. Can you go back to Canada Customs with your Paypal receipt and say they over charged you, or that the form was filled out incorrectly?

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Vagabond Elf
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
rid: Here's a question for you (or anyone else for that matter)... Say you win an auction for $1 (eBay price). The seller marks the declared value as $30(retail price). You get nailed on the customs for the $30, even though you only paid $1. Can you go back to Canada Customs with your Paypal receipt and say they over charged you, or that the form was filled out incorrectly?
I don't know, but consider this: GST on $30 is a $1.80. You aren't likely to get back the $5 handling fee (that goes to Canada Post, not Revenue Canada.) How much time is a $1.80 worth to you? Or even $6.80? Even at minimum wage in Alberta, that's about 40 minutes. Is it really worth the bother?
Vagabond Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Elf View Post
I don't know, but consider this: GST on $30 is a $1.80. You aren't likely to get back the $5 handling fee (that goes to Canada Post, not Revenue Canada.) How much time is a $1.80 worth to you? Or even $6.80? Even at minimum wage in Alberta, that's about 40 minutes. Is it really worth the bother?
It's not always about the money... sometimes it is worth it to prove a point. In my case, when it happened... I just said screw it and went on with my day. I just wondered how it actually worked.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #14
devilsknight
Banned

Found this link when i emailed them about getting a refund

Thought i'd share it...looks like for example like Jourdo said if you win it for a buck and he declares $30 as long as you have proof (eBay auction form and Paypal receipt) you can submit it.

Here's the link and the form is there for download as well.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co...eassess-e.html
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Canada Customs is the Devil we all must deal with. Sadly you can't cheat the system, and if you try you'll just get slapped with a year long jail sentence or something. *Shrugs*
Old 09-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #16
darthrage
Beast Machine

To avoid paying taxes/duties follow these guidelines:

1) Request not to be shipped via UPS
2) Declare as gift
3) Ask for a low value
4) Ask for NO invoice
5) Ask not to include any visible evidence that it is from a business, thus asking the store to put their personal address instead of their business address

You would be lucky if you got the business to do all 5 of these for you. If they do, you should be good.

Businesses can get a strike too if they falsely declare commercial goods being sent as a gift as well.

If you get dinged by customs after following these guidelines, then it was entirely random and they put their own value based on the item at their own discretion.

If you are picking up merchandise across the border which you claim are picking up as an eBay transaction, NEVER EVER show them a "forged" printout of the eBay invoice to lower and change the values, they have computers with the internet too, you know.

Last edited by darthrage; 09-08-2007 at 06:36 AM.
darthrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:14 AM   #17
sgw1

There are no customs charges on toys shipped into Canada, You are only resposible to pay GST and PST + $5 handling fee. If duty is charged to you, Simply fill out the back of the customs label and write in for the reason of appeal "Toys are not dutible Item".
You will have a refund cheque within 3 weeks.
I know because I file at least 6 appeals per month to CBSA.

sgw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #18
rid
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgw1 View Post
There are no customs charges on toys shipped into Canada, You are only resposible to pay GST and PST + $5 handling fee. If duty is charged to you, Simply fill out the back of the customs label and write in for the reason of appeal "Toys are not dutible Item".
You will have a refund cheque within 3 weeks.
I know because I file at least 6 appeals per month to CBSA.

The link you provide is the same as devilknights. It explains what to do when you disagree with the charges. It says nothing about toys being dutiable or not. Where did you get that information?

My Wants:

Classics Game Of Deception (set preferred but individuals are OK too)
Most G1 Head/Power/Target-Masters
G1 RoadBuster, Scorponok, Shockwave
Any Optimus Prime (I have tons already but am always looking for more Primes)

Parts Needed: Triggerhappy's Targetmaster gun: Blowpipe (with gun attachment)
rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
Dangard Ace
Masterpiece

Quote:

Yes you can because I've fought something like that. Paid $10 for an item, forgot whether it was eBay or elsewhere and got a confirmation/tracking # from Paypal letter with the price. Seller declared the item for $120 and I got nailed by customs. I got pissed took the shipping label that's used by CanPost/Revenue and printouts of my correspondence with the seller and receipt/tracking # with the sellers address and told them I wanted my money back(mailed them). A week or so later I got a check in the mail....minus the bullshit $5 handling fee.
Dangard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #20
rid
Beast Machine

Quote:
OMG, I totally didn't see this post when it was posted. Sorry jourdo. Like Dangard Ace said, you can come back with the proof and calim readjustment.

Mind you, they "reserve the right" to re-evaluate the prices you paid. Even with proof. It's BS but they have done it in the past. It was on a bunch of DVD bought from China for $1 each (obviously bootlegs). And they argue that it was too cheap. So they "re-evaluated" all the DVDs to an arbitrary value and dutied on that amount. It's total BS but there was no point in arguing. It's easier to pay at that point. Is this reevaluation something within their right? I don't know. Maybe it was just an overzealous officer

My Wants:

Classics Game Of Deception (set preferred but individuals are OK too)
Most G1 Head/Power/Target-Masters
G1 RoadBuster, Scorponok, Shockwave
Any Optimus Prime (I have tons already but am always looking for more Primes)

Parts Needed: Triggerhappy's Targetmaster gun: Blowpipe (with gun attachment)
rid is offline   Reply With Quote