Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag
Harry Potter 6 Thoughts...

For those of you who have seen it, what are your thoughts on the movie?

I really liked it. Might be my favorite movie so far. One of my top 3 for sure, along with Azkaban and Pheonix. But I found most of the movie to basically be pointless in a way. Nothing really happened until the very end of the movie.

In reading the book I did not realize this, but after seeing the movie I think HBP is a very pointless story. Fun to watch though.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Re: Harry Potter 6 Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
In reading the book I did not realize this, but after seeing the movie I think HBP is a very pointless story. Fun to watch though.
Not completely useless.

The idea of Voldemort's life force being divided between the 7 horcruxes is laid out.

And there is the character twist for Snape...

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I will sum up my thoughts on this film very concisely and aptly. First of all, don't get me wrong I did enjoy it, but to be honest it does not lend itself to repeated viewings as well as Star Trek or RotF did. (RotF I saw twice, Star Trek I saw Three times.)

There is very little action in this film compared to what was shown earlier on in the series, I had re-watched 1-4 before seeing it the first time and I can safely say a lot more actually happens from scene to scene in those four and there isn't any needless or pointless scenes.

This film felt like it could have been trimmed down a little more, some of the scenes are too long with the silent following of Draco from point A to point B and also a lot of the cast has been reduced to cameos. Neville as far as I can tell has no speaking lines in this movie what so ever. Also did they Re-Cast the Patil twins? In Goblet of Fire they were Indian girls and now unless those two girls at Slughorn's little party were supposed to be two different twins they are now caucasians. What is up with that?

It dragged on far too long, it was basically one big jumble of exposition with a few comic moments such as the love spell and the Felix Felicious potion. You really don't get a sense that Harry is in danger except during the attack on the Weasly home, whereas in all the previous films Harry was constantly in danger. I suppose it's because of the way the sixth book was written. Also despite being crucial to the plot that damn Advanced Potion Making book isn't all that much seen. They refer to it, they show it a few times and then what? It fails to be as interesting as Riddle's Diary from Chamber of Secrets. The whole mystery of who the Half-Blood Prince really is, is relegated to a few throw away lines until the big reveal at the end.

What happened to Moaning Myrtle? Wasn't she supposed to be a confidant of Draco's? Oh sure we see how conflicted he is, but we don't get any fun scenes with Myrtle. I really think this movie suffers from too much exposition, too much teenagers in love angst and not nearly enough sense of menacing or foreboding.

I enjoy the film, but I would not recommend seeing it more than once in the theatres and then only after having watched some of the other films in the series so that you at least have some reason to enjoy the utter lack of action because you got your fill of it in the earlier films.

I have to say though, Luna's scenes were just awesome, they were fun, funny and endearing. I think Luna could carry her own film if WB decides to milk the franchise like some reaping monster.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Not completely useless.

The idea of Voldemort's life force being divided between the 7 horcruxes is laid out.

And there is the character twist for Snape...
I did not mean useless I just meant that nothing really happened in the course of 2h30m for the movie and 607 pages for the novel.

Yes the Horcruxes were important to deal with, but the movie barely touched upon them when compared to the book.

The same with Snape - in the book there was a lot about who Snape was and searching for the owner of the Half Blood Prince. But the movie glossed over this to a great extent. I mean, for someone who may not have read the book, Snape's scene at the end of the film where he says "I am the HBP," really did not mean a heck of a lot.

But in the end, even in the book, it was not until the very end that any plot was actually advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
It dragged on far too long, it was basically one big jumble of exposition with a few comic moments such as the love spell and the Felix Felicious potion. You really don't get a sense that Harry is in danger except during the attack on the Weasly home, whereas in all the previous films Harry was constantly in danger. I suppose it's because of the way the sixth book was written. Also despite being crucial to the plot that damn Advanced Potion Making book isn't all that much seen. They refer to it, they show it a few times and then what? It fails to be as interesting as Riddle's Diary from Chamber of Secrets. The whole mystery of who the Half-Blood Prince really is, is relegated to a few throw away lines until the big reveal at the end.

What happened to Moaning Myrtle? Wasn't she supposed to be a confidant of Draco's? Oh sure we see how conflicted he is, but we don't get any fun scenes with Myrtle. I really think this movie suffers from too much exposition, too much teenagers in love angst and not nearly enough sense of menacing or foreboding.
Yes this is what I was thinking. You clearly express your thoughts better than I.

Last edited by Mighty_Galvatron; 07-23-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to type a thought?
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
JLvatron
Chosen 1

I really liked it, much better than the previous Phoenix edition.

Sure, Hermoine liking Ron came out of Nowhere, but there was character advancement and good for Jenny! Her character has been getting better with the films.
I think alot of interesting things happened, besides the teen romance:

-Voldemort's boyhood history
-Malfoy Sr FINALLY shipped to Azkaban!
-Malfoy Jr finally perceived as a bad guy, but NOT going through with it
-The HUGE divide between the elder powerful teachers and the younger 'kiddies' seems finally gone
-Harry getting his mission for the horcruxes
-great Homage to the original Transformers movie HotRod, with Harry being "The chosen 1"

and POSSIBLE Spoiler speculation:

D
U
M
B
L
E

-Snape kills Dumbledoor, although sir Dumble had asked "too much" of Snape in their last secret meeting. Hmmm...

D
W
A
R
F

End Spoiler speculation

Above all, this movie brought back the FUN that the Potter films are known for, even though there's some known danger to their lives.

There were some negatives (I'll reply to Scrapper's post), but overall very well done!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post

Neville as far as I can tell has no speaking lines in this movie what so ever. Also did they Re-Cast the Patil twins? In Goblet of Fire they were Indian girls and now unless those two girls at Slughorn's little party were supposed to be two different twins they are now caucasians. What is up with that?

Also despite being crucial to the plot that damn Advanced Potion Making book isn't all that much seen. They refer to it, they show it a few times and then what? It fails to be as interesting as Riddle's Diary from Chamber of Secrets. The whole mystery of who the Half-Blood Prince really is, is relegated to a few throw away lines until the big reveal at the end.

I have to say though, Luna's scenes were just awesome, they were fun, funny and endearing. I think Luna could carry her own film if WB decides to milk the franchise like some reaping monster.

I noticed the lack of Neville too. And if they changed the Indian girls Caucasian, did they at least change their names from Patil to Petal?

Yah, they didn't show the potion book enough. T'woulda bin nice to have some more convincing scenes of Harry becoming darker or more dependant on the Half-Blood book. Also, some origin to Snape being the Half-Blood Prince woulda bin nice, as I'm sure we won't be getting 1 in the next film.

And what the heck does Half-Blood Prince mean? Is Snape a half-blood from some petigree family (like Malfoy), or was it just a high-school nickname he gave himself like The Fresh Prince?

I wonder about the flashback scene from #5 Phoenix when Harry's evil father was bullying Snape. I wonder if he called him "half-blood" or if something such was written on his books.

Luna is awesome!! Very endearing and TeeHee-ous.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
Last edited by Mighty Galvatron; 07-23-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to type a thought?
Oh, that was me. I used the following spell as you were typing:

"Forgetius,
Thoughtuxius,
Fortress,
Maximus!"

Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Pascal
Banned

Took us close to 30 years to get 6 Rocky movies and they already have 6 Potter movies??
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
onecoin
Banned

There was very little plot development in it, as most of it was stripped out, the only things that were really kept were the elements that set up the next book. I didn't feel there was enough "Half blood" exposition in it, making the climax rather anti climactic. That and the loss of the DA fight. I also would have liked to have seen Dumbledore's funeral, but it was already stating to feel long already.The relationships were clearly the focus of the movie, and I think they were trying to catch up on 6 years worth in this one because this is the first one where they know where all the relationships were heading.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoin View Post
There was very little plot development in it, as most of it was stripped out, the only things that were really kept were the elements that set up the next book. I didn't feel there was enough "Half blood" exposition in it, making the climax rather anti climactic. That and the loss of the DA fight. I also would have liked to have seen Dumbledore's funeral, but it was already stating to feel long already.The relationships were clearly the focus of the movie, and I think they were trying to catch up on 6 years worth in this one because this is the first one where they know where all the relationships were heading.

Agreed. It felt a little too much like Dawson's Creek, especially considering the impending doom that the Wizarding community is facing.

Some good parts:
1. The quitich(SP?) match was great to watch. Fun to see the game played again.
2. Young Tom Riddle was freaky as hell
3. The last 20 minutes was paced really well and almost made the 2 hours prior worth the wait.

The bad points:
1. The relationship woes of Harry and Hermoine. I guess they are pandering to the Twilight kids, but lets not forget the action people!
2. They did a bad job on focusing on the world outside of Hogwarts. Fudges successor, the deaths and the Hardships that the community is facing.
3. Malfoy and the Room of requirment...how many times does he need to pull cover off the cabinat to get ride of a small layer of dust?

It was my favorite book of the series, but find myslef being disapointed with the Movie...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote