Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #61
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Transformer: The Last Knight Movie Premier Figures Released At Retail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Deluxes in the US were 16.99 before this line: https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product...8-7F4D93BF9BE2

Hasbro is increasing it by $3, so there is a price increase, it is not staying the same. And since our current deluxe price point is below what that conversion should be (deluxes should cost us $23 but they cant change the price midway in a line since they all have the same pricing per SKU), they are making up for it by increasing it by $10. We have been at an advantage so far and now they will be taking it away since they are losing money on the exchange.

Also, leaders ARE going up in price in the US. The current price point for leaders as said by hasbro is $45: https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product...1-79103A1D2D10

So its a $5 price increase for them, translating in a $5-$10 increase for us.

I still dont like or agree with these prices but saying that they didnt increase in the US is false and misinformed.
Go look at toysrus.com and tell me what you see as their regular price (not sale price) for deluxes.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #62
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Go look at toysrus.com and tell me what you see as their regular price (not sale price) for deluxes.
Toysrus can sell them for whatever they want, we were discussing an increase in MSRP, the link you replied to when saying they didnt increase, and how that affects us.

Fact is MSRP for these 3 classes increased in the US.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #63
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Toysrus can sell them for whatever they want, we were discussing an increase in MSRP, the link you replied to when saying they didnt increase, and how that affects us.

Fact is MSRP for these 3 classes increased in the US.
My apologies you are correct.

Now it makes me want to find out what the MSRP is in Canada to compare to the actual retail price (since we can't order in Canadian from HTS).
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #64
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
My apologies you are correct.

Now it makes me want to find out what the MSRP is in Canada to compare to the actual retail price (since we can't order in Canadian from HTS).
No worries

And yeah, you raise a good point. The only prices we saw so far in Canada are from Toysrus and if they are as deviant from the MSRP as their US counterpart is, maybe these can be cheaper elsewhere.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #65
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast
Re: Transformer: The Last Knight Movie Premeir Figures Released At Retail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrluthor View Post
Wait for a sale.
Or just pass on them all together. They don't look THAT good to me.
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #66
Mikformer
Machine War

Ya these figures don't look all that great, probably pick up barricade, megatron, squeeks on sale.
Those tiny robots looks great though. $4 is better than a lego minifigure, and may go on sale.

I hope they bring back human alliance series. those were basically masterpiece movie figures. It's a long shot, but I can always wish. and back at the $30 price point.
Mikformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #67
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
I just went to Walmart and it was the exact same prices at TRU. So I think that confirms what the MSRP is in Canadian dollars:

30 for deluxe
40 for voyager
Which is simply the MSRP in the US but in Canadian dollars rounded to the nearest selling point.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #68
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

I wish we could organize a proper boycott.

Look, I understand the rationale of the US to CAD dollar, but that price is designed to maintain and then exceed the current profit margin. It isn't to make up for a loss because there isn't one.

You also need to account for the economic reality of any given country. Right now, Canada is poor when compared to the US. Our dollar is not strong in the slightest. However, even when it was close to parity (or surpassed!) the US a few years ago, many prices didn't not change accordingly. Nothing ever went CHEAPER here to reflect the disparity and many products, novels in particular, never adapted to the changing dollar in terms of cover price.

The only instance of fair reflection of the economic realities were when video games went up in price years ago. When the dollar rebounded, the prices dropped. I have been assured that the same thing would happen again should the dollar gain strength.

That said, both Walmart and TRU have the ability to set the price to be whatever they want. They would still make money, but perhaps not as much as they would like. But by increasing the prices so drastically, especially in the view of a casual consumer who might not put the math together (and as a teacher I can tell you that my students were shocked that the dollar value was the reason video game prices surged) and who REALLY needs that extra $10 PER FIGURE.

Finally, what really sucks, is that we are a tiny slice of the action figure pie. Canada barely has over 30 million people, which is about the same as some individual states and even individual CITIES in places like China (seriously, you wouldn't believe the population density over there). That means that retailers don't care about us because we don't make that much of an impact. We can not buy and they will, for the most part, not care.

The flip side of that is they could recognize the dollar, respect the consumer, and maintain the price or present a more modest TEMPORARY increase to offset that wallet-strain but they won't.

Bottom line, if the dollar went for parity, the prices would stay the same. THAT'S why we should boycott. And yes, I'm guessing, but it's not that far-fetched of a guess.

As to others who mentioned Marvel Legends or Black Series... look at the build quality on those, the limit/scarcity of what is produced, the include Build-A-Figures with Marvel, and the target audience (especially Black Series). It's not the same thing with a toyline aimed at little kids.

I MIGHT buy in if Transformers started doing a build-a-bot or included other pieces to make up for it, but still...

Wait for a sale. Use coupons. Don't EVER pay full price for this shit, especially when it's a pile of repaints.

By the by... the Winter Coupon 10% off from Hasbro is still up and available on their website. Stack it with a sale.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #69
Pascal
Banned

Australia and UK also have it bad... Don't know about European countries. I think TFs are pretty expensive in France and Germany too.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #70
AV Prime
Machine War

Man even @ 50% off these would not be worth it. Saw these at my TRU today and lost my mind. This entire line of movie toys becomes an EASY pass if in fact the price does not come down since these are "premium edition" or whatever.

I was already having a hard time with $20 deluxe from RID and Combiners/Titans. Jack it up another $10 bucks. No way.

I don't care what argument you want to make about the CDN dollar vs US driving this - prices suck on both sides then. It was not THAT long ago that Deluxe were $14.99!! This is now double. As a collector or a father I can't spend $60 + HST on two deluxe toys. It's insane for standard retail.

The problem here is the price is getting higher but the quality of the product has not risen to match the increase. I first noticed the huge decline with Dark of the Moon toys when paint disappeared and they shrunk in size. I only bought 2 AoE toys - on clearance. Mostly because in my meaningless opinion the toys were terrible and I did not need to waste my time or money. I look at these Last Knight toys and I will admit Barricade looks like something to pick up but NEVER @ anything more than $10-$15. So I'll grab one loose at a TFcon in a couple of years if I still care at that poinit.

It's not only our Beloved Transformers but it's everywhere - $17.99 for a 3.75 Star Wars Black Series, $29.99 for Marvel Legends, $21.99 for a 6" Legacy Power Ranger..... on and on it goes. It's gotten out of hand. On top of that they try to sell lower priced bricks that we can buy our kids and expect them to enjoy that - but that is a debate in another thread.

Everyone has their opinion and preference. I chose to Pass on RID and Movie toys which allows me to use my hard earned money on 3-4 MP that pop up per year that I want. Are MP expensive - HELLS YES - but I'd drop $200 on ONE MP toy any day before i'd do the same on a full wave of terrible movie toys.

I'll just end my rant here - i'm just glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the price was madness.
AV Prime is offline   Reply With Quote