Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
Wheeltron
Maximal
What's your collection value?

Something that crossed my tonight while musing to a few people tonight that someday I could see myself selling collection for something like paying for my child's education.

So my next thought was kind of along the lines of what's it worth right now? How much do I really have?

My situation is lifetime, but only been collecting in an adult capacity for about a year now. So I've gathered toys over time growing up, and more recently have used my now disposable income to search for and obtain new and old toys. I'm pretty proud of what I have. I have some gems from childhood that are still in excellent shape, I always kept good care of all my toys, and the last year has been a good one. There have been things that got away on me online and locally but all in all it's been a good haul.

Earlier I claimed I had as much as $1000 dollars worth of Transformers (in the sense of what I could sell it for to the right buyers), but in hindsight that might be generous, so $500-700. MP Grimlock alone would constitute at least $100 so I feel safe saying that.

What's your best guess for your collections? How long has it been in the making?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
chuskers
Machine War
Re: What's your collection value?

Yeah, I wonder too how many have thought of this - I know I have when I was toying with not being a MISB collector anymore .. recently inventoried and had 607 figures since 2002. MP's alone would take up at least 2500 (MP 8 onward) .. MMC Ferel Rex, Fansproject menasor and Maketoys Giant .. Warbotron Bruticus .. would be what ... at least maybe 1500 on the very low side .. plus all other figures, I would say around a conservative $13,000 for me.

If I had kept most MISB .. probably around $30,000 lol

Last edited by chuskers; 01-15-2015 at 08:59 AM.
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
asanjuan62
Generation 1

Anybody have an idea of what the retail value (or current day prices) would be if someone had every single Takara and Hasbro Masterpiece figure MISB from MP-01 and up? There has to be someone on these boards lucky enough (or didn't have a spouse to have a say on what to spend their money on) that had the disposable income to have them all! Just curious.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Megatron75
Alternator

This is a really interesting topic. I've never calculated the approximate value of my collection but I would imagine that it wouldn't be anything significant. I may do a rough estimate and post an update on this thread.

Just keep in mind that eBay and toy show pricing isn't necessarily indicative of the true "value" of a figure although averaging a few completed eBay listings can often give you a good benchmark on an individual figure. Your estimate for MP Grimlock sounds reasonable.

A few things to keep in mind is that not everything appreciates in value. There are also numerous variables when looking at an individual figure (loose, MIB or MISB) including demand which some people seem to forget about. Just because a figure is old, or complete or even mint doesn't mean much if the demand isn't there.

The challenge of selling a complete collection, after an approximate value has been determined, has it's challenges as well as it would be difficult to find someone who will buy everything at our perceived value. That's where resellers come into the equation (particularly if you need to sell quickly). The problem/reality is they will usually only pay you a fraction of the value since they are understandably looking to make money on it and not necessarily buying it for the love or collecting or any interest in the figures themselves.

I saw a interesting episode of Pawn Stars where a guy was trying to liquidate a massive, vintage G1 collection. It was awesome. He had multiples of many of the combiners, Scorponok, etc, etc. I think he was looking to get $20k out of it and I think they might have offered him somewhere in the ballpark of $5k for it.

Last edited by Megatron75; 01-15-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
chuskers
Machine War

my personal value breakdown is as follows (not based on MISB or loose but an average value) for non MP or 3rd party, Encore etc ... figures

Legends - 2.00
Scouts - 5.00
Deluxe - 10.00
Voyager 15.00
Leader - 25.00
Supreme - 35.00

may be close, may not be, but that's what I go by on the high end
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
chans formers
raff ow roud

i'm gonna sit quietly in the corner while i wait for either miasboytoy or protoman to chime in first lolz.......

(in life,some things you're better off not knowing....)
Old 01-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
i'm gonna sit quietly in the corner while i wait for either miasboytoy or protoman to chime in first lolz.......

(in life,some things you're better off not knowing....)
LOL to true
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Deception
Crossover

let's just put it this way. i'm most likely won't even break even if i decided to sell my whole collection at this point. i might be able to "make" money on select toys, but overall i'm probably losing money lol.
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Wheeltron
Maximal

I'm also not just collecting for bulk or completion. I don't have the capital for that, as a student who only works in the Spring and Summer months. So in order to justify buying Transforomers I've taken to looking for lots, primarily on Kijiji, usually just from parents and others selling old toys, which are usually not too costly, and then dividing them up and listing them online for more accurate prices, keeping things I like, and sometimes just putting lots back on local yard sale groups for petty cash.

Sometimes I get that on Ebay too. Example being the summer when I saw a really poor photo of some mistransformed figures, and they were nothing good, like RotF Skids, but I saw a big red foot almost out of frame, and after a few comparisons I was sure it was Leader class Sentinel Prime. The lot was only 8 dollars, but since this grandma was in Florida it came to like 30 dollars for everything. She even looked for the shield and sword for me but couldn't find. I think its still a good deal, especially if I sell those other junkers for even 10 bucks. My intention was to resell Sentinel because I know he's worth a bit but so far he's stood on my shelf. Looks nice between MP Grimlock and G1 Metrolplex (which a yard sale enthusiast friend found somewhere for a dollar, not complete but still).
Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

What is it worth for insurance purposes? is a different story as well as what it is worth to me.

I never got into [B]collecting toys[B] for the money, just the enjoyment. if I was to sell, my collection is worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it, right now a guarantee would be about 40% market value

There is always a possibility that some day it may not be worth anything as no one will want them, I think Star Wars, Barbie and TF's may be safe but who knows?

Example of dead collecting. Those TY beanies Hockey cards, I saw season cases for sale in VV for 3.99

Just my opinion though , as I don't mean to upset anyone.

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote