Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Wheeltron
Maximal
Legality of Hasbro shows on Youtube

Hey, so just thinking of new ways to create content for my channel, Golden Diskussions, and would like to do short recap videos or something similar for Robots in Disguise when it starts to air. What's Hasbro's copyright policy for stuff like that? Is there anyway to use footage that I won't get slammed for?

I'm sure many have had experiences with this kind of thing in the past. Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #2
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Legality of Hasbro shows on Youtube

There's fair usage laws that protect things like satire and reviews. People who do book and movie reviews are allowed to use excerpts/footage. As to how much footage you can use, well, you'll have to do that research yourself. I do know that TJOmega uses TV footage when he does overviews of old cartoon series.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 AM   #3
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

As long as you're just using segments and not rebroadcasting the entire episode you'll probably be fine.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
face
Spawn of Unicron

That said, don't be surprised if your channel gets hit with infractions, or worse, taken down with no notice. Youtube is very quick to cave to pressure from outside claims, even if those claims aren't legit.
It's been my experience that if you file an appeal, they'll usually turn the lights back on, but sometimes it'll take a while and it's not always effective. In cases like that, I've seen people take to social media, asking for retweets or shares on twitter or fb, to bring awareness of their channel being taken down and pressure youtube. What's actually beneficial about that is, if your appeal is successful, then you can end up with a whole new audience!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Blurrz
Fast Everything

You should be fine. There's many channels on YT that have entire TF seasons uploaded.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
Wheeltron
Maximal

With the first two episodes up now I think I'll get to work on this, but as long as I keep it to a few minutes tops and low audio I should probably be fine.

Sounds great guys, thanks!