Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
CyberMnky
Animated
Re: calgary comic and toy expo 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterquick View Post
Speaking of this, got a question for all you Calgarians.

I'll be down a day early, on Thursday, to check out a few things as i'm looking to move there at the end of the year. Of course I want to check out the locations of the TRU and WMs, which won't be an issue.

However, I also collect comics, and I don't know any comic shops there. Any recommendations? I prefer staff that get to know you and are willing to go out of their way to help you out (like anyone would).

Also, which is the best theatre in town? Gonna be seeing Green Lantern before the convention, and I don't want to end up in a dump for my most anticipated movie of the year!
Comics:
- Another Dimension on 10 St NW is my preferred. Friendly staff, one really cute one too.
- Phoenix on 17 Ave SW staff are knowledgable but usually grumpy. Huge selection of figures and whatnot as well.
- Phoenix on 16 ave NW don't know much about...

Theatres:
Most of the big ones are pretty decent really. Chinook is the biggest but its usually crowded and parking sucks.
My preferred is Westhills. Most of the public have written it off as its about 12 years old now, but that did a massive renovations a couple years ago and its just as nice as the others with much fewer people.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Does Chinook sell comics?

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy

Yeah, if there's any non-chain places that have TFs ie; hobby stores and what-not, please list those too. I have a full day to explore around and see what vibe I get, so it's much appreciated.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
Jeem
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Does Chinook sell comics?
There's a place near chinook mall called http://www.comickazi.com/ and they do comics and toys. Tho not a lot of good tf toys, just stuff you could get at TRU or Walmart. Though they do have some other good DC direct figures and stuff

Woot woot! My own Feedback thread!: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=24846

My For Sale thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=51577
Jeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
Comics:
- Phoenix on 17 Ave SW staff are knowledgable but usually grumpy. Huge selection of figures and whatnot as well.
- Phoenix on 16 ave NW don't know much about...
The people at Phoenix 16th, are just as knowledgable, but never grumpy, and always willing to help. Their focus is on Comics and Manga, whereas the 17th ave location has a larger emphasis on toys. And if you are gonna go to Another Dimention, it's close enough to go check out Phoenix 17th
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
Comics:
- Another Dimension on 10 St NW is my preferred. Friendly staff, one really cute one too.
I'll cast another vote for Another Dimension... although I have never seen this cute one (or any female beyond one of the owners). I must be going on the wrong day. All of the staff is friendly and helpful though.

Theatres are really personal preference. Like was said Chinook is probably the largest, but that mall is busy as hell and we avoid it like the plague. I tend to stick close to home Empire 10(?) (deep SW part of the city), but it is currently undergoing some renos and looks like a bomb went off inside.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy

Thanks guys, i'll definitely check out the places you recommended. Hope to see you at the convention!
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #18
terrordrone
Armada

NEWS FLASH

COMIC EXPO: George A Romero has CANCELLED due to a slight injury. ** Linda Blair <Exorcist> and Ashley Laurence <Hellraiser films> are newly signed on guests

Katee Sackhoff <Battlestar Galatica> also cancelled

George Romero MIGHT do a skype presentation at the Plaza theater this weekend for screening for NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
Someone once said of Terrordrone: "Not only are you a discredit to Transformers Collectors, but also the general population as well." That is what I get for connecting the dots for people who can't follow along.

terrordrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #19
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Sucks that so many guests have had to cancel... Though, none of the people I want to see have canceled

Anyone up for a Cyb.ca meetup? Grab some drinks after the show on fri/sat?
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #20
Jeem
Energon

I will be in Edmonton... I am so sad... If anyone sees a big asian man dressed as Marvel's Wonder Man... tell him Jim is sorry.

Woot woot! My own Feedback thread!: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=24846

My For Sale thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=51577
Jeem is offline   Reply With Quote